X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another mystery and what is happening to the fruit ?

This was sent to me as a Tiger Panache and it's obviously not, but it has a nice big fruit. I picked this one as it was getting soft, and the cracking on the end worried me. So what is making it crack like it is ? pardon the dirty fingernails lol
    Thanks !
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Was it in any rain? Rain and humidity are the main culprits of splitting
    Travis - Cincinnati OH. Zone 6
    wishlist- ondata, Verdolino, rosselino, https://youtube.com/channel/UCYp6pIa2-WlnommArTGKlpQ

Comment

giant praying mantis with three mandible.. maybe.. more likely heavy rain.
      Pete
      USDA Zone 7b
      Piedmont NC

Comment

• Smokymist
        Smokymist commented
        Editing a comment

Have you been watering a lot? Has there been any wild swings in your air temperature/humidity? Those are usually what cause figs to split like that when ripening

Comment

To answer all , I'm in East TN, so we've had hot, but we have REALLY had humid. Many days of temps in the mid 90's but with really awful humidity. We just the past two days had rain. I thought we'd never have rain again ! So should I have left this on the tree, being there are only two fruits on the entire little tree, or was a right to pick it, if it felt a little soft ?

Comment

• jrdewhirst
          jrdewhirst commented
          Editing a comment
          When a fig cracks badly, it's damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you pick it unripe, it tastes like crap. If you try to let it ripen despite the crack, bugs and bacteria get it and it probably spoils. The less ripe the fig when it cracks, the worse the odds. A fig that needs 2 more days to ripen may be OK; a fig that needs 5 or more days probably spoils.

The split doesn't look too bad. I'd leave one like that on the tree and hope the crack dries. If it ripened I'd also cut it before eating to look for any sign of spoilage.
        7B Southern NJ

Comment

What would happen if you tried sticking a small piece of plastic wrap over the split? Has anyone tried that?
          South Jersey, zone 7a- 20 mins from Philly, 30 mins from AC

Comment

• KSBorder
            KSBorder commented
            Editing a comment
            RbD; Thinking alike!

I tried that with a Preto Breba that got large and started to split into 2 halves. I took off the organza bag and put some parafilm over the split and worked the organza bag back over the fig. (It was a large fig!) I only waited a day before picking it but I like to think it made a difference. The fig had not darkened, and was not filled with liquid, but it was sweet and did not taste spoiled or sour, probably the best fig I have had this year. (Sometimes damage will encourage ripening and perhaps this did.)

So, at best it helped, at worst did not harm. Probably should not try for more than 2 or 3 days at most.

I also did that with one other fig, a Valle Negra last year. I will do it again if it happens.

• Realtorbyday
            Realtorbyday commented
            Editing a comment
            We need more experiments. It's time for fig science. I have a few that seem to crack. Next time it happens, I'm going to try this and see what kind of results I get.

Good idea! I never tried it but it sounds like a good experiment.
          Wallingford,Ct. zone 6b

Comment

The film could prevent bacteria and yeast from entering and aerobic fermentation. But the film will not keep the fig from splitting during a sharp increase in size after the rain.
            Андрей. N.-W. Кавказ, пень Абрау, 7б-8а

Comment

Fabric surgical tape will help if you only have a few to protect.
              Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

Thanks everyone !

Comment

According to my PHD in Xenomorphology; Facehugger egg disguised as fig....
                  Inland Empire - Zone 9b

Comment

Could it be a reverted Panache?
                    Zone 10a - NC San Diego. WL: Vernino, HdA,Tia Penya, Burgan unk, CDDN,"itos" x3, De Tres Esplets https://sandiegofruitfarm.com/
                    youtube.com/Rooted1

Comment

• Smokymist
                      Smokymist commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What is a reverted Panache ? Beautiful fig, large, just not the stripes.

Form what I understand it reverts back to a green fig without the stripes. The same fig as Panache, without the stripes. They can sometimes revert back to the solid color.
                    Zone 10a - NC San Diego. WL: Vernino, HdA,Tia Penya, Burgan unk, CDDN,"itos" x3, De Tres Esplets https://sandiegofruitfarm.com/
                    youtube.com/Rooted1

Comment

• Smokymist
                      Smokymist commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Interesting !!
                  Working...
                  X