X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse hype

Just returned from a 10 hour round trip to sample the MAIN CROP of LP 4000' and IND 4000' two romote high altitude zone 7 figs that survive un-protected and in the case of LP 4000' produces a few good breba .This is the first time i have had a chance to eat and inspect the main crop of IND 4000' . After consulting with the "FIGTATOR" and sharing fruits and leaves from these trees ,THE CONCLUSION was that they both are PROBABLY BRUNSWICK ! And compared to the other fig varieties around not all that interesting ,with a main crop that was a so-so honey fig ! MY APOLOGIES FOR MY INTHUSIASUM FOR THESE UNK FINDS ,AS HAS BEEN SAID "WHEN THE FACTS CHANGE ,CHANGE YOUR MIND ".AS time and the education from sampleing more and better fig varieties progresses i hope to not repeat this miss evaluation .
    Zone 10a So. Calif. W.L. Super tasty new finds !

Thanks for your honest feedback and hope you had fun on this long trip.

I never heard of these before, I usually dont pay too much attention to varieties that ends with numbers ( or tacky names ) too, I guess that was a good thing then.
    MJ
    Chicago Zone 5
    Figbid Listings Varieties List

Comment

I sure appreciate your hard work and enthusiasm!! You have found several winners!!! This one just isn’t one of them. 😂 At least not here.

Here are the pics from the figs and leaves today
      Attached Files
      Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

Still looks like a great honey fig, I don't get all the hype about berry figs. They seem to all just be sweet, but maybe it will change considering they're all first year trees.
        NC Sandhills zone 8A. Wishlist- BNR, CDDG, and split resistant figs.

Comment

• ginamcd
          ginamcd commented
          Editing a comment
          Perhaps you're picking them too early? If picked perfectly ripe, the berry figs have a ton of complexity.

How big are the brebas? A suspected Brunswick growing in a yard near me produced huge brebas this summer weighing 120 to 160 grams, and they were excellent (for a sugar fig). I wonder -- are large brebas a key marker of Brunswick?
        Sebastopol, California. Zone 9a
        The best time to plant a fig tree was 80 years ago. The second best time was 50 years ago. Oh well.

Comment

• DerekWatts
          DerekWatts commented
          Editing a comment
          In my experience, yes. I've had several Brunswick breba over 150 g. Main crop is typically much smaller.

I appreciate everything Philip! Trial and error is the best we can do. You’ve shared some great ones with us all.
        Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
        Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Comment

Much appreciated.
          Joe, Z6B, RI.

Comment

Fig Gazer Hope you had fun on your journey, great to hear that there are places where the wild figs are surviving! Thanks Evdurtschi for the pictures, it looks beautiful! Hope there was no sign of the dreaded Black Fig Fly up there, maybe the winters will get to them. I hope so!
            Ellen
            Valley Center, Ca 9b
            Rancho Los Serranos Organic Farm

Comment

• Figland
              Figland commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow Fig Gazer that is interesting! I hope we can isolate the things that are stopping that mischievous fly. I swear there have been flies following me around here I hope it's not them, and I'm counting on the lizards and birds to eat all of their little larvae and pupae wherever they are! The birds are eating the figs right now. they need to keep their food area clear of flies.
              A thought just occurred to me, what if these high elevation figs are seedlings of Brunswick? Is that possible?

• Fig Gazer
              Fig Gazer commented
              Editing a comment
              IT was always my opinion that they where heritage varieties brought in to the area around the turn of the 20th century .hardy enough to thrive in harsh high desert conditions, and at least LP 4000' had a very tasty brebe .Deffinatly not seedlings as there are no wasps around there .What i have finaly determined with help from the "figtator" and access to main crop figs is that LP 4000' UNK AND IND 4OOO' UNK are the same variety and that veriety is BRUNSWICK other members that have grown out this find confirm that it matches there BRUNSWICK trees . Nice to have identified these trees , AS A FIG HUNTER IT IS IMPORTANT TO DETERMINE WHAT IS A TRUE SEEDLING AND WORK TO IDENTFY THE UNK HERITAGE FIGS WE FIND !

• Figland
              Figland commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, Fig Gazer, I think that is correct. Fascinating that these varieties could have survived for so long on their own! it's kind of exciting to have confirmation of identity, even if its not a seedling. I'm glad you and your team of fig hunters are working on this for the benefit of all of us out here! It also makes the history of the area richer! Too bad we don't have any "old timers" who can tell us the story of this fig and where it came fro originally, but I think you have it figured out!

Great update!
            When fruiting next to Brunswick, they do seem identical in leaf and fruit.

Thanks for all of your great finds!
            Fig life is about trial and error
            Hopefully you found some others on the trip👍🏻
            Round Rock, TX 8b
            WL: Delicious figs

Comment

LP 4000 has looked just like my Brunswicks, as well. It's good to know that it survives so will at higher altitudes.
              Springfield, OR - Zone 8b
              WL: Campaniere

Comment

Working...
              X