X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Fig off the Israeli 7 - 2021

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	70 Size:	22.6 KB ID:	1035125 Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	65 Size:	28.1 KB ID:	1035126 Click image for larger version  Name:	7.jpg Views:	65 Size:	19.4 KB ID:	1035127 Click image for larger version  Name:	8.jpg Views:	65 Size:	20.4 KB ID:	1035128 Click image for larger version  Name:	12.jpg Views:	65 Size:	20.6 KB ID:	1035129
    Click image for larger version  Name:	215731940_508968333541961_2711073999195877580_n.jpg Views:	65 Size:	22.9 KB ID:	1035130 Click image for larger version  Name:	233622786_3029358430672956_4760919050492125794_n.jpg Views:	65 Size:	24.0 KB ID:	1035131 Click image for larger version  Name:	235127992_994352914471221_2910699729954922543_n.jpg Views:	65 Size:	27.0 KB ID:	1035132 Click image for larger version  Name:	235634231_224295399610642_2699427893682163245_n.jpg Views:	65 Size:	26.2 KB ID:	1035133 Click image for larger version  Name:	sddfsdfsdfdsfs.jpg Views:	65 Size:	22.9 KB ID:	1035134
    First Fig ripened on 8/17. Updated flavor description
    All photos taken by me are fair to use under CC BY 4.0

šˆš¬š«šššžš„š¢ šŸ•: š€ š…š¢š  š°š¢š­š” ššš§ šˆš„š„š¢šœš¢š­ š’š­šØš«š²
    This fig was originally acquired by my stepfather's friend over 40 years ago. He was travelling to Israel and stumbled upon this fig tree, and loved this fig so much, the best he had ever had, that he broke customs law to bring it back. Now, bear in mind, this is not just any man choosing to do a little bit of mischief. No, this was a pastor, on a missionary trip to the Holy Land, sneaking a single cutting in his coat pocket on an international flight. Around 25 years ago, my stepfather was given a cutting of this tree and we eat from it to this day.

This fig was never identified by the pastor, what variety it is, or anything along those lines. You could consider this an unknown variety because "Israeli 7" is simply a name I gave to it to identify it in contrast to other figs I own. Most of Israel is infected with root knot nematodes (RKN). It is quite prevalent in their soils. You cannot get RKN from a cutting, but it should be noted that this tree is heavily RKN-resistant like most wild figs from Israel. This tree shows no signs of wilting, yellowing, lessened harvest, or stunted growth due to RKN, and RKN is most certainly present.

š…š¢š  š…š„šššÆšØš« ššš§š š‚š”ššš«šššœš­šžš«š¢š¬š­š¢šœš¬
    The Israeli 7 fig tree produces a prolific crop of medium-sized, bronze-colored figs. The flavor of the fig in my humid climate begins with figgy flavor at the front, with a STRONG taste of honey in the body, followed by a hint of berry. The texture is far more syruppy than jammy, though there is some of that texture too. The skin is of moderate thickness, just shy of "biting into a baked good" like the Col de Dames. Drips honey from the eye on drier days, does moderately well in humid climates but is severely drought-resistant.

Of note is that I live in hot and humid North Carolina. Many honey figs wash out the honey flavor when supplied with too much rain. This has been the most extreme rainfall I can remember in my lifetime this year, and the honey flavor is still coming through strong, when my other honey figs not too far away are tasting rancid and mushy. I imagine these flavors would simply be heightened in a drier climate, with perhaps more berry. This fig also appears to be resistant to root knot nematodes, like most wild figs from the Holy Land. (Israel's sandy soil is eaten up by root knot nematodes).

This is a great fig to eat fresh but I particularly enjoy it dried. It does tend to have a limited amount of splitting in humid climates. The eye remains tight throughout the year. It is a common type fig that produces a very minor breba crop, if at all. The main crop is quite prolific. Pollination by the fig wasp is not required. This fig is quite reliable, producing a sizable crop every year once mature.

š–š”šØ š€š¦ šˆ?
    I am Shaft on OurFigs.com.

My name is Malcolm Heath. Last February, 2020, I became a father to now-14 month old Ronin. This was just before the situation really struck, right before grocery store shelves went empty. We came home from the hospital after an extended NICU stay, and were basically unprepared for the chaos in the world around us. It was like we were sheltered in the hospital from everything that was going on, and the system had ceased to function. I went to buy my family food, and there was nothing on the shelves. No meat to be had. I'm a chef, so my job is to come up with some unique creations, but this taxed even my skill. I never wanted to be in this position again. I felt like a failure, and I had barely been a dad for a week. I vowed to never let this happen again.

My stepdad reminded me in July, seeing me get so interested in growing my own food, that we had a fig tree. I loved fig as a kid, but I'd only eaten from this tree once. I just didn't spend a lot of time outside. I was a computer nerd. I forgot about it for most of my life. I got a massively abundant harvest of some of the best figs I could imagine. I shared them with everyone. I dried a bunch with the dehydrator my stepdad gave me. I was in love. This particular tree was given to my stepdad when I was 5 years old, 25 years ago, and he planted it immediately. This was a rooted cutting grown into a plant from the mother tree, which was itself a cutting from a tree in Israel that my stepdad's friend, a preacher, had smuggled through customs from Israel. He thought the fig was so good he risked jail time to get it here.

I went fig crazy.
    Last edited by Shaft; 08-17-2021, 09:48 PM.
    ā€¢ My Collection ā€¢ For Trade ā€¢ Wish List ā€¢ My Listings ā€¢
    Zone 8A ā€¢
    Greenville, NC

For the record, I suspect this fig is called SHUNARI in Arabic in Palestine, and may go by other names in other regions of the nation.
    Zone 8A ā€¢
    Greenville, NC

Comment

• Kid Fig
      Kid Fig commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey what's up Malcolm (Shaft).

I finally got off my lazy "behind"(?) and created an account.

I am going by Kid Fig. My I7 cuttings are taking their time to root/leaf, but they are still green.

Glad you came back to the Forum - KF.

• Shaft
      Shaft commented
      Editing a comment
      Kid Fig Hey JJ! Good to see you on the forums =) And yeah, I came back. Figured I'd give it another shot. A lot has happened to me the last couple of weeks, inside figs and outside. Kind of made that fig drama seem a little less important.

I enjoyed reading that write up! And especially the quick bio you added about yourself and fam and how a special fig tree got you back out to the garden.
    Wish list. White Baca, 5 Terre A UNK, Kafe Te Jiate, Crozes, Angelito, TD Yellow Crinkle, Brown Sugar Crunch, Fig Jaune/Jaune d`Escoussans

Comment

• Shaft
      Shaft commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! BTW if all goes according to plan I should have some creme di fragiola cuttings this winter if you'd like some.

• Dtownfigs
      Dtownfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Iā€™d be stoked!!! Hit me with a PM and what you might be looking for as a trade.

Nicely done Malcolm. I hope your Israeli 7 ripens more fruit for you šŸ‘
    Joe - Rhode Island Zone 7a

Comment

• Shaft
      Shaft commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! And it certainly will. Last season I noticed it didn't ripen very well and I think it was because of how many figs were on it. I pruned about 40% of the mass of the tree this year, and took off some fruit as well, and I'm noticing it's ripening things a lot better already. These are way more flavorful than last year. This tree produces TOO MANY figs.

Looks really good!

Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

• Shaft
      Shaft commented
      Editing a comment
      It's easily the best fig I've tasted all year, and I've had a few ripen already, from trees 20 foot tall or more.

• Ktrain
      Ktrain commented
      Editing a comment
      I almost purchased this one about a week ago, but I decided to get the Moscatel Preto.
      However I believe this one will be on my list now.
      So thank you for all the information.

• Shaft
      Shaft commented
      Editing a comment
      Anytime Ktrain btw I sent you a PM

Nice writeup and great looking fig AND toddler.
    Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

Otis Thanks, yeah, he's a mess
      Zone 8A ā€¢
      Greenville, NC

Comment

Hey buddy!! Like your write up and glad I got a tree from you, love the story behind it!

Mario
        Tx9A
        Mario
        Texas 9A

Comment

Thanks Newbie2figs I appreciate you man!
          Zone 8A ā€¢
          Greenville, NC

Comment

Not trying to upstage you but....

First visible Root of the Israeli 7 cutting.

I figured a few more weeks, but then it decided to drop by and surprise me.

ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹(right above my thumb).
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
            Inland Empire - Zone 9b

Comment

• Shaft
              Shaft commented
              Editing a comment
              Nah this is all about the glory of the I7 fig Share on
          Working...
          X