X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Michurinska 2021

We were expecting rain last night, so I pulled the first Green Michurinska last evening because I didn't know if it would split with the large open eye this one had. Very tasty, strawberry like with decent seed crunch. 77 days to ripen from fruit set this year compared to 91 last year. I definitely have more heat this summer compared to last, combined with that warmer spring. This is a second year in ground tree.

We did wind up getting an inch of rain, but looks like the two I left on the tree are fine. I've included photos of Improved Celeste and Red Lebanese Bekaa Valley as well - the RLBV is swelling quite a bit but still holding together - it ripens so nicely in dry conditions. IC looks unaffected.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210818_192941 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	354.8 KB ID:	1036352 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210818_193000 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	454.1 KB ID:	1036353 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210818_192955.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.3 KB ID:	1036354 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210818_201644 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	690.5 KB ID:	1036355 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210819_082808.jpg Views:	0 Size:	273.9 KB ID:	1036356 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210819_082901.jpg Views:	0 Size:	307.8 KB ID:	1036357

IC and RLBV below, after an inch of rain last night.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210819_082923.jpg Views:	0 Size:	332.2 KB ID:	1036358 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210819_082851.jpg Views:	0 Size:	312.9 KB ID:	1036359
    Last edited by JoePAFig; 08-19-2021, 07:59 AM. Reason: clarification
    Joe, Central Bucks, PA Zone 6b/7a

Joe this may be a dumb question, but when you count days from fruit set to ripe, when do you consider the fruit to be set? Is it double bump stage, figlet pea-size stage, or once they seem to be done with their primary swell? I really need to take records next year of timing on mine but I’ve not figured out what the best gauge is.
    Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
    Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Comment

• JoePAFig
      JoePAFig commented
      Editing a comment
      Not double bump for me, I've gotten, disappointingly a branch and no fig sometimes in this case. A little smaller than pea-sized. I usually mark them set when I see the small non-branch stem and maybe 2 mm figlet.

• Sod
      Sod commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome. Thank you! That really helps. Hopefully I can start collecting actual data instead of just anecdotal observations.

• cvarcher
      cvarcher commented
      Editing a comment
      YEs, thats what i call fruit set too. Most of mine have set thru the month of June here in NY 7a no head start,I just throw them all out the last week of march since dangerous cold temps are over. Some of my other varieties are setting fruit or figlets thru July and just now this week my first Izbat an naj, Planera, Hautive Dargentuille has set. But I dont think they will make it. Our early part of November can be either 40s-50s or slightly warmer .and thats when they would be maturing.

Mine is putting out much bigger figs on the third year tree. It’s in a pot. I will put it in ground next year.
    Attached Files
    Soccer playing, whiskey drinking, cigar smoking, dark fig eating woman
    married to my best friend, the same uber tolerant man, for 29 years
    Zone 7a

Comment

My in-ground Green Michurinska tree (4th season in ground I think) started ripening figs on 8/16. I am not expecting my other adriatic types to start ripening until well into September. Thee fruiit from GM is also a bit larger this year with another year of maturity. This is the first year I have been able to make a direct comparison between the ripening time of GM and the other adriatics which are also growing in-ground about 30 feet away. The flavor is comparable and now the fruit size is nearly the same. I'm really impressed with this variety now!
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Castillon

Comment

• jrdewhirst
        jrdewhirst commented
        Editing a comment
        great to hear!
    Working...
    X