X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glasswinged Sharpshooter damage?

This year I've had an unusually large number of the native leaf hopper, Glass winged sharpshooter, on in ground trees. What I've read suggests (other than spread virus, beware CA) that they do not do direct fruit damage, but..... The first photo are the bugs concentrated on the growing branch tips, they are about half an inch long. The second photo shows the white deposit that accumulates on leaves from their excretions when populations get high. The 3rd photo is what I suspect is the damage being caused to a fig. So far these damaged figs drop before maturity. I have not observed any other insects on the trees. Targeted spraying with Sevin insecticide aimed at the bugs with a hand sprayer and not drenching the tree gets rid of 'em for about 4 days and then they are back.

First does this seem like leaf hopper damage and then does anyone know of a better control?

Click image for larger version

Name:	glasswinged sharpshooters.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1036484

Name:	glasswinged sharpshooter wst.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1036485

Name:	glasswinged sharpshooter fig dmg.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1036486
    Gary, Fort Worth, Tx Zone 8a

TxSeco Dude that's exactly what I have!

I see them on my fig trees but didn't think they caused any harm

What I couldn't explain was that white powdery substance on my figs! I was dead sure that it was white powdery fungus and have been treating the plant as if was being attacked by fungus.

Thanks brother for posting this as I was gonna start buying different fungicides to correct this and now I know exactly what this is.

I'm kinda torn now cuz I actually thought they were kinda cute

Now I dont know, guess it's time for some cold blooded maneuvers!
    Inland Empire - Zone 9b

Comment

So that is what that insect is! They were all over my crepe myrtle trees and it took a while to figure out why my windshields were so dirty. lol
      8A GA Wishlist: Black Socorro,Ponte Tresa,Stella,White Adriatic #1, Cavaliere, Colonel Littman's Black Cross, heirloom figs that have been passed down from generation to generation

Comment

Consider a dusting of diatomaceous earth.

Those white spots could be hard deposits from water.
        Anthony- Fig Finder of Los Angeles

Instagram

Comment

• TxSeco
          TxSeco commented
          Editing a comment
          Traba, thanks for the idea on DE. These little bugs are tuff tried dusting sulphur and it looked like they put it on the figs for piquante. Here is the poop so to speak from CA agri on the bug and the white leaves.

https://cisr.ucr.edu/invasive-specie...d-sharpshooter
          Last edited by TxSeco; 08-19-2021, 02:52 PM.

• JT1923
          JT1923 commented
          Editing a comment
          TxSeco The pics at that link are great. They look like tiny land cuttlefish.

• Kid Fig
          Kid Fig commented
          Editing a comment
          Figology I imagined maybe it needed to be diluted as well but I think it was the 5 days back to back of hitting it with the solution that caused the damage.

After the first 3 days I didn't notice any burns so I figured the solution doesn't harm my plants - cool!

But on the 6th day that's when I noticed the burns.

I'll post some pics later today when I get back home.

I've seen those insects eat a hole in my dragon fruit limbs. Check under your leaves for eggs they look like sedimentary fossils.
        Anthony- Fig Finder of Los Angeles

Instagram

Comment

Here's my Celeste.

The dark patches is where I applied the peroxide solution (and ended up pooling).

The white spots never left. So either Sharpshooter crap or Hard Water spots.

BTW I only water the base, I never wet the plant or leaves.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
          Inland Empire - Zone 9b

Comment

Speak of the Devil....
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
            Inland Empire - Zone 9b

Comment

• Kid Fig
              Kid Fig commented
              Editing a comment
              As soon as I was gonna post pics of the BM that's "infected".

So my question is - is it Sharpshooter damage or Hard Water deposits or both?
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
            Last edited by Kid Fig; 08-20-2021, 09:20 AM.
            Inland Empire - Zone 9b

Comment

• TxSeco
              TxSeco commented
              Editing a comment
              Kid Fig, the spots in the top photos are not GWS excrement, the GWS poop looks more like a weak whitewash. The spots you have almost look like a scale or mealy bug. Can't really tell and I have not seen either on a fig. If ur trees get full sun since leaf out neither is likely. Monitor and if no worse ignore or try Sevin spray but then don't eat figs for 20 days.

TxSeco Yes they're out in the sun but it seems the ones that have partial shade have less of the powder, so your definitely on to something.

Later today I will try the 1:1 cider vinegar/distilled water and see if Igently rub it off, that somehow it might be HW deposit (still doesn't see like a possibility, but I wont know untill I try).
            Inland Empire - Zone 9b

Comment

Ugghhhh, I’ve got these bugs on my fig trees as well.
              attached is a close up pic of the little bugger
              Attached Files
              SoCal / 10a

WL: RIPE FIGS!!

Comment

• Kid Fig
                Kid Fig commented
                Editing a comment
                Damn bugs; looking all cute...

They're quick too. They got juke moves that be breaking ankles!

• Go0seTrails
                Go0seTrails commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh my goodness, when I first saw it I tried to flick it off with a little stick, and it would just kept hopping around dodging. I played with it for a little longer, called it a “good boy” and left it alone. This was all before I knew what it was haha

We’re having to watch out for this. They appeared in New Jersey and Virginia this year. They’ve been in PA. For a while. They migrated from China.
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
              Teresa Staunton Va Zone 6B

Comment

Howdy neighbor TxSeco ! Greetings from Fort Worth, TX. I've has these for years and seem to love to camp out on my fig trees of all places. I havent seen any clear damage. I read up on them and they can transfer diseases but mostly affect grapes. If you wake up extra early you will see them raining their fluid all over the leaves. The only issue I have seen is that their excrement attracts ants as its somewhat sweet to them. I've tried getting rid of them but they keep coming back. I don't like using chems so I leave them be. Trees that appeared to have FMV have grown out of it and others remain having it. However I have not seen any that didn't have FMV develop it. I do keep my trees in close quarters. Could also be my fertilizing habits. I can't prove or disprove.

Best tip was from Figology Diatomaceous earth. Natural approach is always best especially when ingesting the fruits of your labor.
                Forest Hill, Texas: Zone 8a

No wish list but open to trades and offers

Comment

• Figgerlickinggood
                  Figgerlickinggood commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Try squirting them with a teaspoon of mild dish soap and about 25 oz. water. Lou Monti on YouTube used it on the spotted lantern flies and it works. The soap from the water gums up therand can’t fly away. When they fall to the ground he steps on them.

Rudypayraise the link on YouTube doesn’t work but here’s what the video looks like
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                Teresa Staunton Va Zone 6B

Comment

• Rudypayraise
                  Rudypayraise commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome tip! Ty. I'll be honest I saw the image on my YouTube feed and saw windex so I never opened it lol. I'll def go back now.

• Figgerlickinggood
                  Figgerlickinggood commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He only used an empty windex bottle. I couldn’t use the link because instead of taking you to the video it takes you to a different website. Just type the title of video in the YouTube search.
              Working...
              X