X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction & Variety Question (The Fig Hunter? Auction?)

Hello All,
    I would like to introduce myself as a new member of this community! I have received so much information from all of you already!

I recently purchased an unknown fig variety. I asked the nursery if they had any details on the fig, but they could only share that the cutting was from David Burke (AKA The Fig Hunter). The nursery employee stated that if it was released by him, it would be a good fig. They said that the mother tree had been found at an auction site, and therefore, the pot was labeled "Auction" fig.

I was wondering if anyone had heard of any such fig, or if anyone had any information regarding this one!

EDIT (resolved): Priscilla Burke has confirmed that this "Auction" fig is indeed "Red Bluff Round Up" !!!

-Go0setrails
    Last edited by Go0seTrails; 08-19-2021, 04:58 PM.
    SoCal / 10a

WL: RIPE FIGS!!

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on buying a fig tree. You can find many cuttings from the fig hunter on figbid as well as his site. I hope you are in an area with the fig wasp, as many of Burke's finds have not been confirmed common. Odds are high that it was purchased from figbid, but it will have an actual name. You can compare leaf shapes to those on his site to try to confirm it.
    Meys - Round Rock, TX. Zone 8b
    Wishlist: Cherry Cordial, Cosme Manyo, Texas Peach, Black Celeste, Little Ruby, any persistent caprifig.

Comment

• Go0seTrails
      Go0seTrails commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Figgarooni! Thank you for the introduction!

This is actually not my 1st fig tree! & my herd is growing rapidly. (Along with some named varieties, I also have others from The Fig Hunter : Igo Berry Tart & Mendonca heritage unknown).

I am in Orange County, CA ; and am not certain if the fig wasp has been confirmed here.

Thank you!

• figgarooni
      figgarooni commented
      Editing a comment
      Go0seTrails I just caught up on the thread. I'm glad you found the current name of the tree. I love the Ca seedlings too, but have only stuck to verified common types so far. The Fig Hunter has some nice looking finds and if I ever hear that they're common I will pick them up.

• Go0seTrails
      Go0seTrails commented
      Editing a comment
      figgarooni maybe by then my trees will be able to offer out some cuttings.

David will list and describe available varieties on his website, although Auction is not currently listed.

https://www.thefighunter.shop/

I have Auction as well, but it's a very small rooted cutting at this point.
    Jason. San Diego, CA - Zone 10A WL: Boysenberry Blush

Comment

• GuyA
      GuyA commented
      Editing a comment
      Good Morning Go0se Trails,
      I am a newbie, I started my fig journey earlier this year. I drowned some cuttings, my son bought me a Chicago Hardy for Father's day. Since then I started my collection with raffles won and auctions won on Figbid. Cuttings and air layering are something could be in my future, but sadly not at this time.
      GuyA
      St Augustine Fl.
      Zone 9A

• JCT
      JCT commented
      Editing a comment
      @Go0se Trails Around November cutting season begins for those in colder zones. I'm a bit warmer so around mid-January my trees should be fully dormant then. At that point you should be able to get some good quality cuttings for free or for the cost of postage.

• Go0seTrails
      Go0seTrails commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds super awesome JCT , much appreciated!!!!

Welcome, glad to have you on the forum. I'd encourage you to add known common varieties that can ripen without the wasp. Where are you located? Also which nursery sold the tree? I'm curious to know if they disclosed that it may not be common. I am in Texas and I am currently testing out 2 of his varieties. I purchased them during the cutting season so I can provide results to the forum.
    Forest Hill, Texas: Zone 8a

No wish list but open to trades and offers

Comment

• Go0seTrails
      Go0seTrails commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Rudypayraise, Thank you for the introduction!

I replied to Figgarooni's comment, but it is still pending approval - In my reply I mention that I have other varieties also. These include common figs: RdB, VdB, Panache, Black Mission, Flanders, Bourjasotte Grise, Black Madeira (KK), Ge Neri.
      I am in Orange County, CA; nursery was Laguna Hills Nursery (which I know has been mentioned in the forum before). They did not disclose that this may require caprification.

I am looking to start working on my cutting propagation this season, but would like to find a way to get many cuttings.

Thank you!

• Rudypayraise
      Rudypayraise commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like you're set! Best of luck and please share your updates with us.

Welcome

Comment

• Go0seTrails
      Go0seTrails commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the introduction, mwhight34.

Hi Go0seTrails,

The “auction fig” is actually called Red Bluff Round Up and information on it is available on our site. We have sent it out of state for confirmation, but can state that it does have an ripening, edible breba crop, if that helps to give context.

Best of luck on your fig growing adventures.

Priscilla Burke

Comment

• Go0seTrails
      Go0seTrails commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Priscilla, I appreciate the information. This is super great! I was actually looking into the Red Bluff Round Up on your site. Glad I've already got one!
      Wishing you and the family all the best; hope to have more varieties from ya'll!

Thank you,

Welcome to the forum Go0seTrails
    Louisiana Zone 8/9. W/L Whatever fig I don't have.

Comment

Rudypayraise ; just updating with some figs I was able to pick so far! (1st year trees so fruit still small)
    Violette de Bordeaux & Flanders
    (didn’t get a cut fruit pic of Flanders because I stuffed it in my face)
    Attached Files
    SoCal / 10a

Comment

• Rudypayraise
      Rudypayraise commented
      Editing a comment
      That's awesome. Nothing like a fresh fig!

Welcome to the forum!

Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I love sharing the love of figs. Figs and Bonsai - and indoor plants are my Peace-Full.. Zone. I can work on my trees and get focused and experience actual peace of mind. Its one of the few things that still my thoughts. I will be giving a few cuttings and an air layer away later this year. Remind me and I will send you a cutting or 2 as a welcome to the forum too play with when we take cuttings this fall / early winter. I seriously may forget so much going on so please dont be shy about reminding me.
    7b.. Wish list figs.. #1.Verdalino, #2.Figoin.....

Comment

Jamey , Thank you for the introduction and the generosity!!! I will most definitely keep you in mind. Although I am still growing my green thumb, I am absolutely neck-deep in learning the craft. Glad you also mentioned bonsai as I am also getting into that. Please see the very early stages of a pomegranate bonsai I’m working on. My wife is also absolutely going crazy with propagating house plants (including succulents)
      Attached Files
      SoCal / 10a

Comment

welcome
        Anthony- Fig Finder of Los Angeles

Instagram

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	0D37CFCC-2285-4214-966E-5EE9CD333377.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	649.3 KB ID:	1058992 Click image for larger version  Name:	7B9C68AA-D29C-40DE-86DD-ABCE4F153555.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	741.6 KB ID:	1058991 Click image for larger version  Name:	0D37CFCC-2285-4214-966E-5EE9CD333377.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	649.3 KB ID:	1058990 Click image for larger version  Name:	3D2774FB-F7AA-4042-AD30-1290508FE40D.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	696.5 KB ID:	1058983 Click image for larger version  Name:	D738538C-EA18-4B3A-8643-532C961A4B11.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	576.6 KB ID:	1058984 Click image for larger version  Name:	CDC09960-A722-4ADA-853A-B8B7BAAD4EAB.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	676.2 KB ID:	1058985 Click image for larger version  Name:	75303222-0439-4DB7-A58F-94C5B0480CDC.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	720.0 KB ID:	1058986 Click image for larger version  Name:	B3D9E884-40F4-496D-956E-57125B3C825B.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	702.0 KB ID:	1058987
        Attached Files
        So find a fig. Make a friend.
        Plant a fig. Make a friend forever - The Fig Hunter®️
        https://TheFigHunter.Shop

Comment

• goodfriendmike
          goodfriendmike commented
          Editing a comment
          Man I can not wait for my Edith Lamb and Red bluff to start producing.

This fig is simply Delish
        those that came to the Nor Cal Fig Exchange got to eat as many as they wanted we brought 20 lbs of just this variety.
        We will be posting a video on YouTube in the next coming weeks of the actual mother tree.

Still on nights and away from the farm and family .
        My Amazing wife my hero is taking care of everything in the meantime .

check us out at
        Last edited by The Fig Hunter; 09-23-2021, 03:08 AM.

Comment

• Go0seTrails
          Go0seTrails commented
          Editing a comment
          Wish I could have been there! I’ve now got 2 1st year Red Bluff Roundup trees and I hope to be able to taste some of the fruit next year!!!
          The Fig Hunter , I’ve pretty much made it my goal to have as many of your varieties as possible in my garden! The Surprise Pack was an awesome deal and was able to get a good variety. Hope to have some more soon
          I’ve been in contact with the BOSS, your wife, who has been extremely helpful with all my orders.
          Best of wishes to you and hope you get home soon safe to your family soon!

• Go0seTrails
          Go0seTrails commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m fact, I am quite sure that if you ask her about Go0setrails, she’d probably roll her eyes 🙄(Hope I’ve not been too much of a bother to her!) Please relay my message to her that I truly appreciate all of her help in sorting all my stuff out!!

Check us out at
        We are a family recording our fig adventures under the Brand #Thefighunter and Homesteading #burkefamilyfarms with all the ups and downs of life.Subscribe no...

Comment

Working...
        X