X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shiny or dull??

I have a few rooted cuttings supposedly from the same tree but their leaves have quite different appearances, an unknown Adriatic.

I'm wondering could these be from the same plant even though some leaves are dull and some shiny? And some with both??

Click image for larger version

Name:	dull leaf.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	1036798 Click image for larger version

Name:	shiny leaf.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	1036799 Click image for larger version

Name:	shiny&dull leaves.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	1036800
    Eugene OR 8b

Top etna
    middle VdB
    bottom etna or misc. top & bottom prob same.
    I see zero adriatics there. Sorry. If you need some I’ll flood you & you’ll never ask for cuttings again 😁
    wnc Z7a Hominy Valley
    wish list: a world without Invasive Pests

Comment

It isn't possible to say with rooted cuttings. This is a pic I took a few years ago of a Longue D'Aout cutting I rooted. Click image for larger version

Name:	LDA leaf  type 2-25-18.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	596.6 KB
ID:	1036824
      7B Southern NJ

Comment

Totally possible. In my experience, once the cuttings (from same tree/same branch) are growing on their own they make all kinds of weird growth decisions. Some look just like Mom from their very first leaves, and some go wild and make spade leaves and other shapes for a while. I had two VdB cuttings from my tree that made shiny spade leaves this spring. Mine usually even out after the first year and start looking more like their mother tree in their second season.
        Zone 10b, Long Beach CA
        Creator of The Original Wasp In Fly Out (WIFO) Bags
        Wish list: Bebera Branca

Comment

Last year I grew 2 air layers from the same VdB plant and they looked completely different from each other. I trust leaves for ID zero percent and leaves and fruit maybe 75% at this point.
          Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

early leaves can be weird. give it time.. and it can still be weird. but majority will somewhat look alike. weird.
            Pete
            USDA Zone 7b
            Piedmont NC

Comment

What's confusing me is the fact that I took the cuttings and labeled them. One tree was a Mission type the other Adriatic supposedly. I know figs throw off weird leaves when young...but I still have a bunch of cuttings some shiny and others dull?? Maybe I got distracted...

But I think, after rereading the comments, that I just have to accept the fact that early leaves can be weird, no big surprise. Thanks!
              Last edited by Bry; 08-19-2021, 09:29 PM.
              Eugene OR 8b

Comment

Working...
              X