X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failing Graft Help Needed

I purchased a grafted NSDC this last Spring for a pretty penny, but it hasn’t grown well and is looking to me like the graft is failing. I have zero grafting experience, so I’m not sure what to do about it. I think it’s a chip bud graft. I noticed a couple of months ago that it looked like it was drying out at the edges, so I wrapped some parafilm around it, (which is now breaking off from weather exposure, originally it was wrapped properly.) But it seemed to continue to dry out and has now detached at the top and is detaching all around the edges from what I can tell. I don’t think this is a good thing so I’m coming to you guys for help.

The stem is only about 4 inches long, can it be airlayered off that short?? Can anything be done to save it or is it okay as is?

It was hard to show the extent it has detached in the pictures, but hopefully they help give you an idea.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Click image for larger version  Name:	85E22B2B-5768-4498-AE04-D8A0D9726B6F.jpeg Views:	26 Size:	419.9 KB ID:	1036845
    Click image for larger version  Name:	063888A3-9BFF-4CF4-8D86-0328D26E78AB.jpeg Views:	27 Size:	321.6 KB ID:	1036844
    Click image for larger version  Name:	55EA56A7-B657-48F8-BFBC-BCE8AEBB0435.jpeg Views:	26 Size:	536.7 KB ID:	1036846
    Last edited by RosyPosy; 08-19-2021, 08:31 PM.
    ░░░SoCal░ ░ ͡ i ͡ ░ ░Zone░ ░9A░░░

Here are some more pictures with the top bit of parafilm removed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	B557E60F-CBE9-4484-9A7E-79766C151897.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	1036855

Name:	D45016F8-9C8E-4F72-BB49-EBB3CC4C617A.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	385.9 KB
ID:	1036856

Name:	48598F81-E140-43E5-8EC4-A5C51F31B4E7.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	1036857

Comment

Damage is already done but you can try to put a rubber band around it and cover whole thing with para film so water can reach to contact point . I would also put this under shade or tree to let it recover. Good Luck.
      Naeem
      Maryland Ellicott City Zone 7A

Comment

I would remove the parafilm and wrap it with some grafting rubbers. Then brace it carefully. Stake the branch and set an air layer. After removing the air layer and letting the rest go dormant then take cuttings for grafting next season. Good luck
        JLB zone 8b south Mississippi. Wish list really good figs thay don't split with all this dang humidity

Comment

To me it looks like the root stock has dehydrated. I think you have lost the roots, which is why the graft has failed.
          Joe, Central Bucks, PA Zone 6b/7a

Comment

• arcadiafigs
            arcadiafigs commented
            Editing a comment
            I also was concerned that the rootstock looked a little dry. If the rootstock is not healthy, then there's a serious problem.

I’m no expert on grafting but if that was mine I tie with rubber band or some kind of string that eventually will rot away not parafilm and than cover the bottom of the growth with your potting soil to encourage it’s own roots
          like I said I’m no expert on grafting
          Wallingford,Ct. zone 6b

Comment

I agree the separation looks concerning. However, for a chip bud to grow that much, it must have made a viable connection with the rootstock. If you baby the plant and keep the graft growing, that connection will get stronger and it should be fine.

Since it has already been grafted for several months, I don't think there is any benefit to re-wrapping the graft. Any part of the graft that can make a connection with the rootstock has already done so. Bracing the graft, though, might be helpful to prevent accidental breakage.
            Southern CA, Zone 10a

Comment

I agree with others, the rootstock does not look good at all. Maybe brace it as best as you can with rubber bands and a stake, and see if it will buy you enough time to air layer the branch...?
              “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
              – Source Unknown
              MA 5b/6a

Comment

You could cut it off and root it.
                I did the same thing successfully with a Burgan chip bud I had grafted last year.
                You could to use rock wool to get roots going.
                Put it under a humidity dome while it is rooting.
                Definitely an advanced method and not for the faint of heart.
                Whatever you try, let me know if it does not work.
                I’ll set you up with a cutting in the fall - No charge of course!
                Airlayer might work as well. (Add additional support if you try this as Gina suggests)
                NSDC is a beast and belongs on its own roots!

https://youtube.com/channel/UCHHopi_E99OBvafBPEcF_pg
                Zone 8B - Cottage Grove, Or
                Wish List - Crema di Wheat

Comment

• RosyPosy
                  RosyPosy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you! I set an airlayer so hopefully it takes!

Contact the seller. This graft job was not done well, and is a failure, and request a refund.

if that didn't work, I would tie the graft from top with a zip tie, and airlayer the top part around the graft, using an open container or plastic bag
                MJ
                Chicago Zone 5
                Varieties List

Comment

It looks like in pot. I would bury it to graft or contact seller.
                  10A - Fountain Valley - Socal
                  Hobby: Freshwater Aquarium, Pond, Grafted Fruit Trees

Comment

As others have said, something wrong with the rootstock. It is drying up. I would tightly wrap a rubber band around the graft. If it was me, I would delicately remove the soil and replace it with fresh soil. I would cover it a little above the graft line above 1/2 inch. Your rootstock is no good. Let’s hope that it have roots before the rootstock died completely. It sucks to have spend so much and the plant die. I feel your pain. I have a small one growing. I am hoping that there’s a lot of growth. Pm me during winter and I will see if I have cutting available for you. If you decide to change the soil, make sure to put it in the shade all summer. It can get really hot and dry where you lived. Good luck !
                    David
                    Los Angeles CA zone 10B
                    Wish list: Cosme Manyo

Comment

• RosyPosy
                      RosyPosy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you! Yes, it is pretty hot and dry here. I’ve had it in part shade, but maybe it wasn’t enough? Definitely learning from this one though.

Thank you everyone!! I just set an air layer on it with support, so hopefully it takes! It’s my first airlayer, and it looks like a first air layer 😳. But, hoping it’s good enough to save it. 🤞🏼

Does anyone know why the rootstock may have failed? It looks like a desiccating cutting to me. It came without any grafting rubber or parafilm, so I thought it was good to go. I’ve had it in part shade, but should I have done something more to it to stop it from drying out?
                    Last edited by RosyPosy; 08-20-2021, 12:28 AM.

Comment

• ginamcd
                      ginamcd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      There is a grafting technique used where a graft is made onto a dormant cutting which is then rooted. Based on what it looked like when you received it, do you think this may have been the case here?

• RosyPosy
                      RosyPosy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ginamcd I was under the impression the seller used mature root stock, but the listing is no longer on the website so I can’t verify that. I do remember being surprised that it did not have more roots than it did when I up potted it, and that it seemed younger than I was expecting. But it did have enough roots that the potting mix mostly held together, it just wasn’t root bound.

• ginamcd
                      ginamcd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      RosyPosy From your description it's very possible that it was a graft onto a rooted/rooting cutting. I hope the air layer makes it!

You have received excellent advice with several suggestions.
                    Since the grafted part seems to be growing and the leaves look healthy (despite the unfortunate looking graft union), I would try repotting it and burying that graft union entirely. The graft could then potentially send out new roots higher up along the NSdC stem.
                    Please keep us posted.
                    Last edited by Bellefleurs; 08-20-2021, 05:23 AM.
                    Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
                    W/L- Allix, Cateto

Comment

• RosyPosy
                      RosyPosy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Interesting, Tony714 & Mario mentioned that too. I didn’t even think of that, I‘m so used to leaving the graft union out of the dirt. But now I’m wondering if that would be better instead of air layering? Thanks for the suggestion!
                      Last edited by RosyPosy; 08-20-2021, 02:42 AM.

Here is how I air layered it. 🙈😂 It’s a small bbq sauce container from take out & was the smallest container I could find in my house. I have a coco coir & perlite potting mix in there. I did not girdle it. 😬 I wasn’t sure if that was a good thing to do here or not. It’s in the shadiest part of my yard now and will only get filtered morning sunlight.

Let me know if you think it would be better to undo it and bury it up to the graft union instead, though I would need to repot it to do that...

Click image for larger version  Name:	F27E7FCF-9CEC-4405-A5E6-E29BFBACB8F3.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	523.9 KB ID:	1037070

Click image for larger version  Name:	BA7A17C8-65AA-4EC2-8E4E-DB768617602F.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	468.8 KB ID:	1037068
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	3A6CA60E-88BE-439B-8B0A-0DB13B28736B.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	439.9 KB ID:	1037067
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	22AC5D38-3246-439C-82DE-8DCA1C3E2347.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	527.9 KB ID:	1037069
                    Last edited by RosyPosy; 08-20-2021, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• RosyPosy
                      RosyPosy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      oat Yikes! I didn’t secure it. How would you secure it? I don’t have any rubber bands on hand, but I can get some tomorrow. I have duct tape, lol...

• 599gh888
                      599gh888 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Since you have the air layer, I won’t try to change the soil. Just add more soil to cover the graft point. You might be able to salvage it but we will see in several weeks if the condition get worse. Don’t baby it as much lol

• oat
                      oat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Use something like a zip tie to help secure the chip.

RosyPosy it looks like you re wrapped the graft union with parafilm. That will help but it not a strong union so I wouldn't mess with it too much now. Maybe you could slip a zip tie around the top of the union between the cup and the union to add some strength. Then just wait for roots to fill the cup. Imo the rootstock was cut too close to the node above the graft so instead of dieing back to that node it's continuing to die down past it. Eventually it will die down to the graft union. I think you have done well with what you have. Take the air layer when ready and see what you have left. If there's still a node on the grafted branch I'd them consider burying the rootstock to the graft union. You might end up with two plants. good luck
                    JLB zone 8b south Mississippi. Wish list really good figs thay don't split with all this dang humidity

Comment

• RosyPosy
                      RosyPosy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, I rewrapped it right after taking the pictures before I read the comments. That is a great idea, thanks! I should have some zip ties around. I think MJA829 mentioned them too. At this point, I’ll be happy to have 1 tree, but if by some miracle it ends up being 2, I won’t complain! Thanks again for your help!
                  Working...
                  X