X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bi-39 2021

Sorry for the abbreviation, but that’s the name of the fig. I’m sure you can find the history of this one in the archive. This is another new one for me this year. It fits into the Etna spectrum somewhere. I got cuttings of this one last year in trade and it’s definitely a good option for shorter seasons. My tree set really early this year coming out of dormancy and it’s been one of the first to start swelling.

Taste was very sweet, but lacked some of the acidity you get from RdB or the Tres Ao Prato I picked a few days ago. The skin is very soft and sweet, not fuzzy like some can be. Even at this stage I think waiting longer to pick it would have helped the flavor. It’s really interesting. I’m finding that not all etnas are created equal. Some are much earlier and the flavors, shapes, and sizes have a pretty wide range among the group. BI-39 seems to be elongated with a longer neck and very short stem, where an unknown Etna I have is very round with a short neck and longer stem. The unknown Etna is also a little bigger. It’s pretty fascinating. The unknown Etna also had a little more acidity than BI-39.

Overall this is a pretty good fig that I think could definitely have a chance in ground for me. My plan is to select the best 4-5 Etna types I have and keep them. I’ll cull the rest.

So far I have Sayreville dark Unk, takoma violet, Gino’s black, black Bethlehem, and RLBV swelling. I know RLBV is a standout, though it remains to be seen if it’s an Etna. The real question is whether I can be patient enough to let them get truly ripe.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sod; 08-19-2021, 10:53 PM.
    Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
    Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

I’ll also say, I’m still learning about when to pick these things. I let some hang last year that ended up spoiling so it makes me nervous. I’ve picked 3 RdB so far that weren’t close but they were still great. I need to get that tree in the ground next year.
    Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
    Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Comment

Love the color and it looks like a Thanksgiving basket on 3rd pic.
      Forest Hill, Texas: Zone 8a

No wish list but open to trades and offers

Comment

Beniamino Infelise 1939 or Papa Tree. Haha.
        Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

• Sod
          Sod commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s a good one. This one was from traverna Mike right? I’ve got dolce Cuore too.

• don_sanders
          don_sanders commented
          Editing a comment
          Correct

A very good explanation of how varied the Mt Etna group is.
        Tony, Toronto Canada USDA 4B now 5B apparently!!
        Wishlist:
        Yellow Neches, St Martain, Texas Peach.

Comment

• Sod
          Sod commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Tony!

Looks good!
        i have one starting to darken now👍🏻
        Round Rock, TX 8b
        WL: Delicious figs

Comment

• Sod
          Sod commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice. Let it hang a long time and see what it does.

• Halligan-
          Halligan- commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll let it hang as long as I can.
          I like the look of it.

You and your microclimate are driving me to drink - coconut water of course!
        https://youtube.com/channel/UCHHopi_E99OBvafBPEcF_pg
        Zone 8B - Cottage Grove, Or
        Wish List - Crema di Wheat

Comment

• Halligan-
          Halligan- commented
          Editing a comment
          Heck!
          He is ripening this ahead of me by a few weeks!!

Did you give this a head start or anything?
        Travis - Zone 5a, Central WI
        Wish list - Verdolino

Comment

• Sod
          Sod commented
          Editing a comment
          No. Far from it. This one was exposed in my driveway all winter (mild as it may have been). I up potted it to a 7g in April and left it in my backyard. It set fruit really quickly after it started warming up.

This is a BI-39 with 1.5 gallon of soil. It was rooted in the spring. After pick a few figs, it still have more than 20 figs on it. Will send it to a forum member tomorrow after dropping my first 2 boys in college, if the car have enough cargo space.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210820_140649.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	487.6 KB
ID:	1037351
        Cleveland South - Zone 5B.

Comment

Working...
        X