X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life in the bff leper colony

No offence to those suffering from leprose ,But those areas of sothern california infested with BLCK FIG FLY may soon feal like they have been banished to a fig leper colony ? Logic would dictate that dormant cuttings and dormant bare root trees should be alowed to leave the colony (affected area). FOR fig growers in the "colony" i propose BFF parties where growing fig trees in soil could be exchanged ,but only between growers already infected !!! YOU WOULD HAVE TO SHOW INFEFECTED FRUIT TO BE ALLOWED TO EXCHANGE GROWING PLANTS .I have thought of a BFF-FFT GIVEAWAY ALONG THESE LINES (BFF-FFT = BLACK FIG FLY -FREE FIG TREES) ANY WAY just looking into the future,kind of bleak ! FOOD FOR THOUGHT FOR US AND THE CDFA ? WHAT DO YOU THINK ???
    Zone 10a So. Calif. W.L. Super tasty new finds !

It sounds like a good idea to help reduce the rate of transmission.
    Tony, Toronto Canada USDA 4B now 5B apparently!!
    Wishlist:
    Yellow Neches, St Martain, Texas Peach.

Comment

Are there any known ways of safely treat this in potted small trees before shipping. Like soack rootball in a not harmful to the tree chemicals etc.
      MJ
      Chicago Zone 5
      Figbid Listings Varieties List

Comment

I have been trying to think of a solution as well. I have so many trees that need good homes
        Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

I suspect that all of us who played by the rules and reported our BFF to the CDFA have now been told we must not allow fig material to leave our properties until they decide what to do, right? So... ??

But, I completely agree: if you already know you have BFF, why not trade/sell with others who know they do, too? The pest is already in both places.

Thank goodness this pest is only in fruit and the soil. Should be no problems exchanging dormant cuttings.
          Mark -- living in the CA banana belt, growing bananas, figs, and most any fruit I can fit in my small, crowded yard.
          Wish List: more free time

Comment

• Kid Fig
            Kid Fig commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe you could remove all figs, then carefully remove the soil from the roots and place them in a coir/perlite/vermiculite medium (in a pot of course) and presto clean BFF free plant to transport.

Now I know this medium isn't cheap but if all parties do this than it should make it acceptable.

• Fig Gazer
            Fig Gazer commented
            Editing a comment
            HARD TO "CAREFULLY REMOVE SOIL" IE "BARE ROOT "a tree while activly growing especialy if a tight root bound potted tree with out causing major stress to tree and owner of said tree . A powerfull pesticide solution soak may be the ANSWER along with fruit removal as you sujest . when dormant rather vigorous siol removall is possible for most well established trees .even some rooted cuttings and on rare ocasions a air layer .(properly sealed air layers with freesh poting mix from BFF free zone should make BFF safe air layer ! from within BFF ZONE ]

Such a bummer!! What about sending plants bare root this winter after dormancy?
          ░░░SoCal░ ░ ͡ i ͡ ░ ░Zone░ ░9A░░░

W/L: La Joya, Ondata, Belvedere, Bebera Branca, Fico Giallo, Vernino, Asunta 5 Paco (DF)

Comment

• Fig Gazer
            Fig Gazer commented
            Editing a comment
            should work !

What about a hydrogen peroxide soil soak. Do you think that would help? It works on other types maggots.
          Louisiana Zone 8/9. W/L Whatever fig I don't have.

Comment

• Fig Gazer
            Fig Gazer commented
            Editing a comment
            Also have to kill the crisolis and or the hatching fly !

• ginamcd
            ginamcd commented
            Editing a comment
            Only possible harm to a rooting cutting is from over watering due to the need to drench the mix. I've seen mixed results posted with hydrogen peroxide, so I've always just gone straight to BTi.

• Figland
            Figland commented
            Editing a comment
            I will keep asking for soil drench options, but so far they have not suggested any, apparently can't kill it once its in it's pupa form in the soil. Spinosad has been suggested by a few nurserymen I know, but the experts have come up with nothing so far that I have seen.
        Working...
        X