X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’ve heard of improved Celeste but…

Improved Brown Turkey? Has anyone else heard of this? Have one? Improved for the better? Looks like a VDB to me.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Teresa Staunton Va Zone 6B

Probably a tissue culture.
    But no I have never heard of Imp. BT....anywhere...ever.

Interesting coming from Gurneys.

I agree with you though, looks like VdB.
    Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

Looks like Spring Hill has it too.....hm

https://www.springhillnursery.com/pr...verbearing-fig
      Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

Improved Brown Turkey or Thompson's Improved Brown Turkey is an old name that was used for California Brown Turkey in the past. It could be that?

A good example of why it’s not good to change names even to previously used archaic names…

Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

I don't know the origin of Improved Brown Turkey, but that name has been around for quite a few years.
        Jennings, Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a

Comment

jmrtsus I enjoyed the info on the white marseille. Do you have any on this subject?
          Teresa Staunton Va Zone 6B

Comment

• jmrtsus
            jmrtsus commented
            Editing a comment
            I think they have 3 different types in the pics on the ad. One I agree with all that it looks like a VDB. All I know is I have what is I believe to be an Eastern Brown Turkey as it is called today that was sold as a LSU Tiger. The EBT is the same as the plain old Brown Turkey I am familiar with in the South. The figs last year were good, big juicy and sweet. They are a good fig for introducing new fig eaters to figs as it is mild in taste, large and sweet and visually attractive. I have a gut feeling that most of the Brown Turkeys are not the same as an original Turkey. As I have all of the Brown Turkey trees I need (1) I have not tried to keep up with all the different types around.This year due to a late frost the Brown Turkey is late and with all the rain my first two blew up, split and were very watery. Hope it dries out as I am in between figs right now. Celeste is done and Purple had its big flush but will make more. My Blanche was the star this year and really knocked my socks off but it is done. Tena and Champagne are coming on along with LMF. Hope your crop is doing well.

Anything is an improvement over brown turkey...
          East Coast, Zone 7a
          WL: Boysenberry Blush, CdDB, BNR

Comment

• wellingtonbill
            wellingtonbill commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you eaten a Southern Brown Turkey? If not you need too. It is a tasty medium to large sugar honey fig. 😊

• Shaft
            Shaft commented
            Editing a comment
            wellingtonbill I've heard even better things about the south eastern brown turkey http://figs4funforum.arghchive.com/p...k-this-7802531

• Figgerlickinggood
            Figgerlickinggood commented
            Editing a comment
            wellingtonbill I live in Virginia. I purchased 2 brown Turkey trees at a local nursery. Would they be southern BT being Virginia is a southern state or would it have been labeled SBT. Also is the difference in the taste or the size or both.

Reminds me of the Brown Turkey Mission fig I saw recently on the Home Depot website!
          Attached Files
          Michigan, Zone 6a

Comment

Working...
          X