X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Turkey? 😬

Last season I purchased a “Brown Turkey” in order to use it as rootstock. This tree accepted a Burgans UNK graft nicely but I’ve left the rest of the tree native for future grafts. The tree is planted in the ground and has beautiful scaffolding.
    I allowed the native branches to fruit (out of curiosity).
    The fruit was more elongated than I had expected. The fig that I picked today was very sweet and delicious. The fruit reminds me of LSU purple in shape but this fig was much sweeter. There is no void.
    Is this what Brown Turkey looks like?
    Any guesses?
    I don’t imagine that it’s anything exotic.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bellefleurs; 08-20-2021, 07:26 PM.
    Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
    W/L- Allix, Cateto

That does not look like any BT I have seen, the sweep on the lower lobes of the leaf doesn't either.
    Not really sure what it would be though.

But who is to say my BT are really BT...lol
    Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

No way this is Bown Turkey as the varieties we know of (eBT or Cal BT), but maybe it's in the family. That leaf is super distinctive, but I've never seen it before.
      Tom V
      San DiegoCa

Comment

• Bellefleurs
        Bellefleurs commented
        Editing a comment
        Perhaps it’s super special. LOL
        I have another tree that was (mis) labeled “Italian Honey”…the fig is purple and the supplier said that it’s most likely “Brown Turkey”….
        Another one that I purchased as “Celeste” (for rootstock) is clearly not Celeste as it looks nothing like my true in ground Celeste.
        That one might actually be a Brown turkey.
        It’s just funny to me that these rootstock trees have defaulted to Brown Turkey and that the one actually labeled BT might be something else entirely.
        I no longer purchase trees from local nurseries because their labeling can’t be trusted.

• ZomVee
        ZomVee commented
        Editing a comment
        Most people at nurseries don't know what they have. At one of my local nurseries a worker once said there's 3 or 4 varieties of figs and another one wanted to trade cuttings, cuz he knew what was up. I think they get a shipment for a supplier and that's the extent of their knowledge, not all of them, but unfortunately most...

• FloraFig
        FloraFig commented
        Editing a comment
        ZomVee, you're right. I go to a local nursery here. I like the guy, an older British guy who has a nice assortment of plants. But he doesn't know anything about figs.

Last year I asked him for a couple varieties, never heard of them. Finally he pulled out a booklet with fig varieties. Turns out it came from his supplier and he would sent him what ever is available, sometimes without a tag.

The color inside resembles O’Rourke but the shape doesn’t.
      Teresa Staunton Va Zone 6B

Comment

• Bellefleurs
        Bellefleurs commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely not O’Rourke.
        I have a large in ground tree and the fruit on this one is very different.

I can find figs that look like that, but I can’t find that leaf shape. I did come across this thread though, if it helps at all:

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...id-help-needed
      ░░░SoCal░ ░ ͡ i ͡ ░ ░Zone░ ░9A░░░

W/L: La Joya, Ondata, Belvedere, Bebera Branca, Fico Giallo, Vernino, Asunta 5 Paco (DF)

Comment

• Bellefleurs
        Bellefleurs commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Rosy.
        This fig is producing figs that are more elongated vs squatty so that surprised me.
        The taste is exceptional.

Sure looks a lot like a LSU purple, but those leaves are indeed unique. Not sure how a fruit gets much sweeter than a good ripe LSU purple as those are maple sugary sweet for me. This one is rounder than my LSU purples too so very interesting mystery fig!
      Zone 8b, College Station, TX
      Wish List: Maltese Beauty, CLBC.

Comment

• BrandonP
        BrandonP commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like it is a winner for those in the south too...no cracking, closed center, tight eye too? Maybe the next hot item to pass around!

Here are a few more photos.
      Attached Files
      Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
      W/L- Allix, Cateto

Comment

Hahaha that's funny. Your BT and my "BT" don't look anything alike. It's almost like the Brown Turkey is done with its reputation of being basic, and decided to transform into unknowns.
        C.Florida 9B WL: I-258 , Black Ischia, Ham Rham, Ghoudane , Moro de Caneva

Comment

I have a Brown turkey that is nothing like that. I have seen so many now on here that all look different and it makes me wonder if I have a true variety. My figs are a lot bigger than yours and pink inside. The flavor is exceptional sometimes but must often more of a figgy taste. The leaves are broader than yours. It would be nice to see what a true variety actually looks like.
          SW TN 7B Wish list: Boysenberry Blush, Coll de Dama Mutante, Madeira Island Black, Cravens Craving, Malibu Greek and Fico Giallo. Any fig I can grow and Happy Days

Comment

Working...
          X