X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring out the critics! 5 fingered lobes on 2 Black Madeira types! Holy moly...

I would like to begin the process of dispelling the myth that these black Madeira types cant have 5 fingered lobes. My figo preto started to Exhibit 5 fingered lobed leaves. I got very worried, as would any good figger since this is a known “bad sign” to exhibit. Anyhow, in a panic, I took a short walk over to my violeta that I received from Bass at trees of joy, and there I saw a another five lobed leaf. If preto was a fake, then that is a simple explanation. However, i highly doubt Bass would mess up one of his most expensive trees. So I am not sure if it is my growing conditions or some other Extraneous factor, but my two black Madeira types are showing both five finger lobes!!! I do have a 3rd that is an actual black madeira that will be grown out and we will see how she does here in this environment, but too small for comparison.

I thought it was interesting enough to share because so many folks worry about the five a lobed leaf with black Madera types. Maybe it is the same folks that claim you cant ID a fig by leaf type, but then claim a black madeira cant be this way or that. But regardless, alas, I am seeing a consistent trend (2 outta 3) here at my growing environment of 2500’ in western nc. For fert i use Southern States 14-14-14 slow release, Miracle grow, compost, castings, azomite, sea-90, fish emulsion, dolomite lime, poultry oyster shells, etc. A cacophony of food for long & short term along w a peat, bark, perlite, sometimes vermiculite (for bigger trees), etc.

Pics are preto, Violeta, Violeta, then Figo Preto, but overall indistinguishable. Violeta is young in 2ndleaf, preto too i believe. We will compare fruit soon which is at the same pace, too. Havnt eaten fruit yet so too soon for 100% proof, but getting close.
    Cheers wild world of Figgers 😀
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    wnc Z7a Hominy Valley
    wish list: a world without Invasive Pests

I’m new to figs but those don’t look like Black Madeira type leaves to me. The leaves on my trees are not so pointy. They are much more rounded, short a stubby looking.

Simon

Comment

• Kid Fig
      Kid Fig commented
      Editing a comment
      I think his BM is going through its wierd leaf phase and or possibly suffering from FMV as to why they are long and pointier.
      Last edited by Kid Fig; 08-21-2021, 12:48 PM.

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Increased Lobes and deeper sinuses usually occur along with wider node spacing caused by faster growth from increased Nitrogen, nutrients, water and or favorable growing conditions. It’s a typical Ficus carica growth habit.

• Kid Fig
      Kid Fig commented
      Editing a comment
      @AscPete

Interesting......

(see avatar pic)

Mine has a single 5 lobed leaf, all the rest are 3 and single.

Has a lot of goodies on it though....I hope they all make it.

So yea....5's are not unheard of on BM...mine is kk.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

• JMF75
      JMF75 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice looking tree there Kevin. My kk is the same way. They can be temperamental if they get too much of anything even for a short time. 🙄

• Ktrain
      Ktrain commented
      Editing a comment
      This year is my first attempt at BM, so I'm really trying to baby it and my I-258.
      It will determine if I keep it...lol

What are the approximate ratios of the different leaf shapes?
    [Figs] -- Eastern Missouri -- Zone 6

Comment

<< I thought it was interesting enough to share because so many folks worry about the five a lobed leaf with black Madera types. Maybe it is the same folks that claim you cant ID a fig by leaf type, but then claim a black madeira cant be this way or that. >>

I'm one of those who claim that you can't reliably "ID a fig by leaf type" but correspondingly I've made no claims about what Black Madeira leaves must look like. To the contrary, my BM kk has a combination of spade-shaped, 3-lobe and 5-lobe leaves. Here's a picture (just taken) of some 5's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4079.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	885.9 KB
ID:	1038000
      Joe, Z6B, RI.

Comment

• JMF75
        JMF75 commented
        Editing a comment
        Joe how is your BM doing for you in your area?

• jrdewhirst
        jrdewhirst commented
        Editing a comment
        Treated normally, it's too late to ripen much here.

This year (see my thread "A new Rite of Spring") I gave it a head start indoors under LEDs. I picked my 1st figs a few days ago, my 3rd today.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Here’s a grafted BMKK-
        A few five lobed leaves.
        Apologies about the bird netting.
        Attached Files
        Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
        W/L- Allix, Cateto

Comment

Definitely nothing wrong with that. I routinely have 5 and even 7 lobe leaves on mine. One of my trees has a lower branch with only deep lobed leaves. I’ll grab a pic.
          I posted about my Figo Preto that was ravaged and girdled by rabbits that grew back with all 7 lobed leaves for the rest of the year. It’s now back to its normal self.
          Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

i have young BM last year all finger leaves and this year mostly spades so i say wait until the tree matures or fruits to confirm fruit. i wouldnt say its not possible for BM types to not have other leave shape than the spade leaves its famous for.
            https://www.youtube.com/c/seattlefigs
            https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Brows...seattlefiggirl
            https//www.instagram.com/Seattlefigs

Comment

I think when it grows vigorously, it gets lobed leaves. It’s not that weird.
              San Francisco Zone 10B.
              WL: None

Comment

My Figo Preto only put out five-lobed leaves towards the end of the season that looked like the five-lobed leaves on my GNAF. The first leaves over the last two seasons have been spade-shaped for me, with some three-lobed leaves coming in later. I expect to see five-lobed leaves in a month or two.
                San Francisco, Zone 10b

Comment

jessup42 . I don't know about the leaves Jessup but holy cow! The amount of fertilizer s and ammendment you use is crazy 🤪 😜 😳. No wonder your figs are growing more lobes. They are all over eating
                  Ike
                  bergen county NJ 6b
                  Wish list: oh lets face it Ill take any variety I dont have!!

Comment

• Ktrain
                    Ktrain commented
                    Editing a comment
                    lol

• jessup42
                    jessup42 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I went from a serious under fertilization to an over compensation adjustment. But it sure looks like these things are hungry enough to handle the load! Prob the #1 reason a few chose to grow & put off the notion of fruiting. Why think about the next generation with fruit while conditions are so darn good

It’s funny cause my black Madeira is showing 5 lobes and last year it was showing a few spaded leaves. Everyone is telling me it ain’t a BM but could it be? I’m finally getting signs of a figlets hopefully it’s a BM.
                  Attached Files
                  Zone 5 Barrie, on

Comment

Working...
                  X