X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s wrong with my fig tree?

What would cause a healthy, strong growing tree to be growing great. Then randomly just start growing burnt looking leaves that eventually lead to it growing leaves that start opening up then just shriveling up and falling off? All my trees are given the exact same treatment, all of them are healthy and growing great other then this one.
    Attached Files

Overwatering can do that. Or potting mix thatvstays too moist for that variety . both are basically the same thing. All the rain ealier caused exactly that issue with 2 trees here. Some varieties or individual trees are more sensitive to this issue than others.
    7b.. Wish list figs.. #1.Verdalino, #2.Figoin.....

Comment

• Garygrowingfigs
      Garygrowingfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      While it is possible that its over watering, I doubt it. I could water these trees 2 or 3 times a day before and they would be perfectly fine.

Pull the tree from the pot and look at the roots. The soil should be moist, not wet and the roots should look heathy.
    Steve - Clarksburg, MD zone 7a

Comment

Sparky The roots are all healthy looking and the soil is moist but not wet.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Sparky
        Sparky commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, they look good. I think that would rule out too much water being your issue.

It is odd that you treat your trees the same but this one is acting differently. I would have guessed underwatering, fertilizer burn, or sun burn based on the photo but it seems unlikely based on what your have stated
      Travis - Cincinnati OH. Zone 6
      wishlist- ondata, Verdolino, rosselino, lsu Scott’s black, crozes, brown sugar crunch https://youtube.com/channel/UCYp6pIa2-WlnommArTGKlpQ

Comment

Any chance somebody sprayed weed killer near it? This has happened to me. My landscaper sprayed near my trees last year. Didn't figure it out until realized it based on which plants were near the outside where he was spraying
        Ike
        bergen county NJ 6b
        Wish list: oh lets face it Ill take any variety I dont have!!

Comment

• Garygrowingfigs
          Editing a comment
          No possible way for someone to have spayed weed killer on it without me knowing. Even if someone did spray weed killer and it some how blew all the way to the trees, id think others would be showing signs as well as this one is surrounded by my other trees.

It appears to be something specifically located on those damaged leaves. I don't see any webs (spider mites) and most of your other leaves are dark green and healthy looking. I'd cut off the damaged leaves and dispose of them away from your trees in the trash or by burning.
        7B Southern NJ

Comment

Beleve it or not i have had a fair amount of that same thing scatered amonst my trees ,my guess is fertilizer burn or solar flares !!! some days the sun just seems way to intense .
          Zone 10a So. Calif. W.L. Super tasty new finds !

Comment

• jrdewhirst
            jrdewhirst commented
            Editing a comment
            I know that you were probably kidding, but just in case not: All the dangerous electromagnetic radiation (e.g., X-rays, UV) produced by solar flares is absorbed in the ionosphere. Thanks you, ozone layer. There's a very tiny amount of visible light.

Tell us how you fertilize your figs. Could be over fertilizing (salts accumulation). That can cause physiological drought.
          Estonia, Zone 5 Wish List 2023 Improved Celeste-Florea-Red Lebanese Bekaa Valley-Teramo-Long Yellow-Iranian Candy-De Tres Esplets-Malta Black-Salem Dark-Olympian-Smith-Green Michurinska + Any tasty super early fig

Comment

• Garygrowingfigs
            Editing a comment
            Ive just been using miracle grow probably about every 2 weeks. However the trees haven’t been fertilized in close to a month now. This started happening a bit after I stopped fertilizing.

• Sulev
            Sulev commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know your exact location but zone wise we are pretty close. Here a month ago were hottest days of the season. I had to shade some of my figs, because they are planted into the hot spot of my garden and excess heat caused withering of leaves. Thanks to shading they lost only some leaves. But for now this damage is unnoticeable, trees are completely recovered. Checked past weather for Cleveland over two recent weeks, that has been a bit warmer than here, but should not cause any damage to figs.
            I see no pest damage and this damage does not look like fungal damage. So my opinion is, that the cause is problems with water intake (salts) or nutrient imbalance. What was your dosage for Miracle Grow?

The sun could be scorching the new leaves. Happens to mine quite often.
          Anthony- Fig Finder of Los Angeles

Instagram

Comment

From my limited experience, fertilizer burn usually affects the lower leaves 1st. The upper leaves are damaged in your tree so I would guess sunburn.
            USDA zone 4b. Ontario
            Wish list: RDB, Improved Celeste, Florea

Comment

interesting. I have a few fig plants that exhibit this orangey curled edge while unfolding syndrome. But its just a few leaves and most of the other leaves are larger greener and seem fine. I dont think the plant is in any danger. Just wait and see how the plant deals with it.

Comment

Working...
              X