X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negra D'Agde

I'm just across the Columbia River from One Green World and they are offering the variety Negra D'Agde. I'm pretty much restricted to container growing due to lack of space. But Negra D'Agde looks like it can stay on the small side and still produce a good amount of medium size figs. I'd love to hear more about people's experiences with this variety and opinions on the plant and fruit as it looks like it is fairly resilient to humid conditions and rain. As I understand people say it is vigorous, prolific and precocious. How does everyone score this variety?

Buzzerj

Negronne, Bourjasotte Noire, (Black Spanish, Black Jack, Latarulla - probably destined for dwarfing rootstocks)
    Tim J. Camas WA 8b Take rest in the shade of the fig tree which God has grown and taste the sweet fruit of his labors.

I have one in a container and am sitting on the fence with it. I think it has an acidic after taste. Not sure if it really does as I am still learning how to grow fig trees to their fullest potential.
    8A GA Wishlist: Black Socorro,Ponte Tresa,Stella,White Adriatic #1, Cavaliere, Colonel Littman's Black Cross, heirloom figs that have been passed down from generation to generation

Comment

Negra d’Agde does have acidic aftertaste. Very vigorous grower.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
      Zone 7A-Long Island
      Wish List: Zaffiro, Del Cor, Exquisito

Comment

If you are across the Columbia from OGW then I wouldn’t say you really have the kind of humidity that this variety is known for tolerating. OGW recommend it as a great greenhouse fig, and most of the positive reviews I’ve seen of it so far have come from the much more humid and rainy and hot east coast.

What are you growing already? Maybe some of us PNW-ers can recommend some varieties for you?
        Eric - Seattle / Sunset Zone 5 - W/L: Granato - Now offering fig-pops, my rooting mix, and gritty potting mix! https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Brows...er=pacnorwreck

Comment

I have it. Right now mine isn’t that vigorous or productive coming into its third year. I think there are better options for us.
          Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
          Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Comment

Currently I have just started some containers with Negronne and Bourjasotte Noire. I also have Black Spanish, Black Jack and Lattarula - which are probably destined to become dwarfing rootstocks. I can just grow with containers on a small patio. yes I know, with a hobby like this I will soon get overwhelmed for space. Likely it's Petite Negri for me.
            Tim J. Camas WA 8b Take rest in the shade of the fig tree which God has grown and taste the sweet fruit of his labors.

Comment

• Sod
              Sod commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you have a greenhouse? Bourjasotte noire is going to be a tough one to ripen without it.

I also have petite negra and have been extremely disappointed with it. I would consider getting a good Etna type. Red Lebanese bekaa valley is one of the best.

It does very well in my cool, coastal environment. Productive and very tasty. It is the fig pictured next to my user name.
            Mark -- living in the CA banana belt, growing bananas, figs, and most any fruit I can fit in my small, crowded yard.
            Wish List: more free time

Comment

My Negra d’agde was good last year. This year it is dropping like crazy.
              Soccer playing, whiskey drinking, cigar smoking, dark fig eating woman
              married to my best friend, the same uber tolerant man, for 29 years
              Zone 7a

Comment

I think it’s a pretty good, but if you only have a few trees I wouldn’t include this one

Comment

I got my first Negra D'Adge fruit on my small plant from Sparky (Steve). The fruit looks nice but I may have waited to long to pick it and taste. Here's a few photos of the Brown Turkey and Negra D'Adge.

Fullerton, CA

Comment

• buzzerj
                    buzzerj commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I grew up in Fullerton, Brookhurst and Orangethorpe. How'd you like the taste of Negra d'Agde? So your plant is still small? I was wondering what size they mature to.

• sc4001992
                    sc4001992 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    buzzerj, I'm closer to CSUF, been here since '81 when there was a Hughes Aircraft Co where I worked. The taste was good but it may have been over ripe so next time I will need to try the fruit sooner. My plant is one 18" tall.
                Working...
                X