X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dehydrated fruit

We finally got enough figs at one time to try dehydrating one tray. I hope we can enjoy these once the fresh ones are gone. I think they're mostly Florea, Brown turkey, Alexandria red unk, and Celeste. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210821_205217529.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	397.1 KB
ID:	1038724
    Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

I've never had dried figs before. When it's complete, could you share what the inner texture is like?
    7b/8a WL: Honey Plum, Negra d'Agde, Nixon Peace, Pound, TX Peach, any CdD, I-258, LSU varieties, Ronde de Bordeaux, Hunt, heirlooms and their stories other: World's Best Mulberry

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210822_155456939.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	1038762 I'm brand new at this too so I hope someone with dehydrating experience will help out. These were dried for about 7 hours and have a slightly sticky, pliable consistency. They smell like a baggie of brown sugar.
      Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

• Tridrama
        Tridrama commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting description. I see you are right up the road from me! I'm in Fairfield County.

• Otis
        Otis commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool, Hi neighbor!

I have been doing it for awhile. I prefer to dry them whole. I like them rather dry and half’s dry too small. I put them stem down and squish them down a touch. Not to much just about half the diameter.

Comment

• ZomVee
        ZomVee commented
        Editing a comment
        How long do you dehydrate them?

Do they taste the same as store bought dried figs?
      I bought a bag the other day, the figs were soft. But I didn't like the taste.
      C.Florida 9B WL: I-258 , Black Ischia, Ham Rham, Ghoudane , Moro de Caneva

Comment

• ginamcd
        ginamcd commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not a fan of dried figs either. I'm hoping to have enough to preserve some this year by using Ed Boone's low temp/low time then freeze technique. He reports that the figs' original flavor is better preserved. If you have a dehydrator and freezer space, maybe give it a try.

• drew51
        drew51 commented
        Editing a comment
        We all have different tastes. I much prefer dried figs to fresh.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0798318E-F2DA-4A15-AED9-4667509C35E1.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	1038965 I vary time about a day and a half at 190F. I use a Cabela square tray model. Dry at various times and try them. On flavor it depends some are worse than store bought but some are better. I then freeze mine ever case they are still wet enough to get moldy.

Comment

• Otis
        Otis commented
        Editing a comment
        That's one of the main reasons I cut my larger ones in 3 slices, to try and cut down on drying time and get food preservation from them hopefully. I may need to put them in the fridge as well. The few I tried were good...better than store bought dried figs, except for some of the really good Turkish figs I can get at the middle eastern store now and then. With more experience I hope to stretch fig season beyond last fall/ early winter.

I cut mine in half or large ones in quarters. Then dry them at 135 about 4-8 hrs followed by overnight at about 115-125 whatever I think it will take to finish the job. I want them still soft and pliable. IMO the lower temperature holds the flavor better. Then I freeze them, again to hold the flavor better. They hold for 6-8 months and still taste good.
      Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
      http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

I use a high temp as time is an issue. At larger sizes the flavor is better. At least for the way I’m doing it. My dehydrator is 3 years old so temp might not be as high as indicated. At lower temps my machine takes too long. Also I like them well dried and aged too. The flavor settles in after a few months. I’m being cautious putting them in the freezer. I never had any get moldy, mine are dried well. I age them before I freeze at least a month.
        Last edited by drew51; 08-22-2021, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Here's some photos of dried figs and O'Henry peaches I did a week or so ago. If you haven't tried it already consider dipping the fruit in a honey/lemon juice/water mixture before drying. It really helps keep the color and the honey acts as a preserver and adds a bit of sweetness. Orange blossom honey tastes the best! I put my dried fruit directly into the freezer when done. Also, it's very important to invert the fruit before setting them on the drying rack or else they will curl up. Happy drying!
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
          Sacramento, CA (Zone 9b)

Comment

• Otis
            Otis commented
            Editing a comment
            They look fantastic.
        Working...
        X