X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negretta - Anyone?

I haven't heard much about this fig at all. It was actually a cutting that I received about 2 years ago, referred to as "Jason's Unk Ischia Black." However it is most likely a Negretta. The unique thing about this fig is, I can let it almost DRY on the tree, and for whatever reason...I cannot remove it without tearing it off the tree. It's strange! Most figs come off with ease when they are fully ripe. Well...not my experience here. Not a very big fig, but has a very tight eye and WILL dry on the tree for me!

Anyway, the fam and I were not disappointed with this fig! Not #1 on my list, but VERY sweet, slight berry, almost maple syrup flavor. Don't hold me to that. That's just the best way my brain could describe things. I posted a video on Youtube if you want to see more. But for now, here are the pics!

Also shout out to jake44141 & NotoriousFIG for stopping by for a visit this past weekend!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Negretta A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	384.3 KB ID:	1038827

Click image for larger version  Name:	Negretta B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	309.2 KB ID:	1038828

Click image for larger version  Name:	Negretta C.jpg Views:	0 Size:	328.6 KB ID:	1038829
    Last edited by Froo-T; 08-22-2021, 04:48 PM.
    Zone 6a
    Wish List: To successfully grow figs in Ohio

was a thread on this variety a week or so ago.
    Joe, Z6B, RI.

Comment

• Froo-T
      Froo-T commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha. Guess I'm a little late to the party. Sorry crew

Froo-T my experiences with this variety are similar. I hadn't thought about describing it as having maple syrup tones to the flavor but that is actually a pretty good description. Generally speaking though the flavor just hasn't done much for me. As a botanical specimen though, the tree is beautiful.
    Steve
    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
    WL: Castillon

Comment

I don't think it's ripe enough.
      Anyone else think the same way ?
      One can easily mistaken that branch on first picture for Negronne, VdB or LMF, I know that if either any one is not ripe more then on that picture, then they don't taste well IMO.
      Looking for De La Gloria.Your best teacher is your last mistake !

Comment

Looks productive!!
        Eric - Seattle / Sunset Zone 5 - W/L: Granato - Now offering fig-pops, my rooting mix, and gritty potting mix! https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Brows...er=pacnorwreck

Comment

I'm a big fan of Negretta. This is my third year growing it and it gets better every year. It's one of my earliest, doesn't split, will dry on the tree (which is unusual in Florida), and gets tastier every year. The skin is relatively thick and chewy and tastes like it's sugar coated. Sometimes I swear I taste a hint of grape.

It has beautiful pink stems. I've made a post with pictures in the past. My cuttings originally came from Herman.
          North Central Florida, Zone 9a.

Comment

• Froo-T
            Froo-T commented
            Editing a comment
            I would definitely agree with you on the skin. Maybe I'll taste those grape tones in year 3! ;-)
        Working...
        X