X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airlayers time

It usually takes from 6 to 8 weeks for airlayers when its warm outside. I will be airlayering more coming weekend.

Im using 4x18" clear bags, which I cut from bottom, fold leaves then slide over just like putting a sock or similar things. The airlayer process pics are from older airlayer I did before.

I didnt girdle for all, not a good idea for thinner green wood as it can break easily, so just scratch below lower nodes. No rooting hormones.

Pro mix Bx with perlite, moist but not wet, then use zip ties or garden ties for both ends.

I never did so many, and honestly the worse part is all that sap burning my skin, be careful when doing this, long sleeves is a must.

Attached Files
    MJ
    Chicago Zone 5
    Figbid Listings Varieties List

Go big or go homeπŸ‘πŸ»
    You fit 13 on that one tree!!

Attached Files
    Round Rock, TX 8b
    WL: Delicious figs

Comment

• MJA829
      MJA829 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I know, its easier than cuttings.

Isn't it going to be a bit late in the year for your zone in Chicago?

Camas WA 8b
    Tim J. Camas WA 8b Take rest in the shade of the fig tree which God has grown and taste the sweet fruit of his labors.

Comment

• MJA829
      MJA829 commented
      Editing a comment
      No, same schedule as last year, and it worked out fine. I do have the greenhouse as a backup too.

It's been hard getting the moisture right for me, I'll actually try it how your doing it.
    NC Sandhills zone 8A. Wishlist- BNR, CDDG, and split resistant figs.

Comment

• davej
      davej commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I've had no luck with bags. It is too difficult to re-wet the potting soil if it dries out.

• MJA829
      MJA829 commented
      Editing a comment
      davej with this method, the bag is only open from both ends, and I secure both ends well with garden ties, no moisture escape even in 90+ weather. You need the mix moist but not wet when you squeeze it.

Man that a lot of plants πŸ‘€πŸ˜ƒ!! Congrats!! πŸ‘
    what varieties are they?

Mario
    9aTx
    Mario
    Texas 9A

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2figs View Post
      Man that a lot of plants πŸ‘€πŸ˜ƒ!! Congrats!! πŸ‘
      what varieties are they?

Mario
      9aTx
      Im not done yet, but so far I did

I258
      YLN
      Thermalito
      Jordanian Zraqi
      White Madeira

next I will do

Figoin
      Black Madeira
      NSDC
      Cessac
      Labritja
      CDD Mutant
      BNR
      CDD Rimada
      RLBV
      Holy Smoke
      CLBC
      Black Zadar

Everything else will be done if I have time or I will take cuttings.
      MJ
      Chicago Zone 5
      Figbid Listings Varieties List

Comment

• MJA829
        MJA829 commented
        Editing a comment
        @Newbie2figs

1. Backups. I do that every winter
        2. Trades
        3. Sell extras and backups I dont need next season

• Realtorbyday
        Realtorbyday commented
        Editing a comment
        MJA829 That's a great plan for your zone. You'll always have back-ups if there's a really harsh winter. After a few mild ones we get a little lax and forget about the BAD winters.

• Newbie2figs
        Newbie2figs commented
        Editing a comment
        I learned the hard way about BACK UPS!!! Texas freeze and rain rain rain did a number to me

Lots of potential plants, looking good. Ive done a few on in ground trees Is like backups on just in case, but some have been growing slowly and taking time making wood for papa to AL.
      Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

• MJA829
        MJA829 commented
        Editing a comment
        I always take backups of my hard to get varieties and keep indoors all winter. I had a few hiccups in the past with outside storage in -15F and below weather

Is my figoin part of those air layers lol. Really nicely done MJA
      David
      Los Angeles CA zone 10B
      Wish list: Cosme Manyo

Comment

• MJA829
        MJA829 commented
        Editing a comment
        If you move outside CA lol

Thank you for the pictures! That looks like a great technique!
      β–‘β–‘β–‘Sβ–‘oβ–‘Cβ–‘aβ–‘lβ–‘ β–‘ Ν‘ i Ν‘ β˜Όβ–‘ β–‘Zβ–‘oβ–‘nβ–‘eβ–‘ β–‘9Aβ–‘β–‘β–‘

W/L: La Joya, Ondata, Belvedere, Bebera Branca, Fico Giallo, Vernino, Asunta 5 Paco (DF)

Comment

• MJA829
        MJA829 commented
        Editing a comment
        There are many ways to do, but this works best for me because its almost %99 sealed, I never had to add water or worry about it for as long as 3 months, or until its full of roots.

I've done a few air layers but never girdled the trunk or removed cambium all the way around. Wouldn't girdling cause the top to die?
      Zone 7B, Eastern Shore MD

Comment

• MJA829
        MJA829 commented
        Editing a comment
        No it wont die, I actually had airlayers with fruit that I girdled and fruit didn't even drop.

Also when you girdle, the nodes below will immediately respond by pushing new growth.

• hambone
        hambone commented
        Editing a comment
        If you girdle an apple tree the top dies. Why not so with fig?

New to air layering, I started 7 on my Celeste (3 years old), about 3-4 weeks ago, still waiting for more roots. Also air layering an unknown, and a VDB which the both should be ready to cut off the mother plants. They seem easy and I know of a few people doing air layering. I think it is so much easier than rooting cuttings in the winter in a garage.
      Zone 7A--Brick, New Jersey--WL: Black Jack, Black Genoa, Smith, LSU Red, Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, LSU Black, Mutante DC-7, Col. Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Texas Strawberry, White Marsielles

Comment

Thanks for the great post. Air layering is my next project on my fig journey.
        Guy A
        St Augustine Fl.
        Zone 9A.

Comment

Busy bee definitely fun to keep going. They will find happy homes.
          Forest Hill, Texas: Zone 8a

No wish list but open to trades and offers

Comment

Working...
          X