X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gives, Black Jack Woes

One of my older plants (about 6 years old) in a pot is a black jack I bought from reliable nursery in long isalnd several years ago. It was a prennial producer of many figs. I usually pruned hard. Last year I did not cut a single branch. I got one solitary fig. What the?!! Any ideas. Same growing conditions. however I once again up potted to a massive size pot). In addition its not like I got a lot of leafy growth but got what I would call normal growth. Not stunted to suspect any root issues. Plant looks very healthy actually besides no darn figs!
    Ike
    bergen county NJ 6b
    Wish list: oh lets face it Ill take any variety I dont have!!

It may be due for a root prune when you uppot. Even if you're keeping same pot size it can benefit from one. Assuming you haven't.
    Forest Hill, Texas: Zone 8a

No wish list but open to trades and offers

Comment

My Black Jack tree grows slowly and produced only two figs this year. It’s a healthy tree, planted in the ground against a stone wall. It receives irrigation and plenty of sun. I have read that it’s a dwarf variety but that doesn’t explain the lack of fruiting.
      I can only commiserate with you, and I hope that the more experienced members can offer some advice.
      Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
      W/L- Allix, Cateto

Comment

“6 years old in a pot” tells little. What size pot? The balance of above ground growth to root space may be an issue. Esp if fruit grows on new growth & you didnt prune leading to an abundance of wood. Nutrients are limited to supplying food to wood sacrificing fruit to survive. Maybe?

need more info. What do you fertilize with? Pot size?
        wnc Z7a Hominy Valley
        wish list: a world without Invasive Pests

Comment

Anytime u up pot a fig tree it puts allot of energy into root growth. It should grow into the pot and fruit next season.
          7b.. Wish list figs.. #1.Verdalino, #2.Figoin.....

Comment

Plus it will give you ar good chance next year to graft onto it as a dwarfing rootstock and grow a more desirable variety which might take up much more room otherwise. I think my Black Jacks and Black Spanish will be rootstocks next year.
            Tim J. Camas WA 8b Take rest in the shade of the fig tree which God has grown and taste the sweet fruit of his labors.

Comment

Quick update. I decided to airlayer 1/2 way down the 5 year old trunk to give it a new chance next year and either plant or trade the top half. Would you believe a week later tons of figs being pushed out. What gives?

I'm no botanist. But I figure hormone milliue changed but how was that signal of cutting the cambien all of a sudden a signal to push out figs.... man these figs sometimes do things you just can't predict
              Ike
              bergen county NJ 6b
              Wish list: oh lets face it Ill take any variety I dont have!!

Comment

Interesting development. After you remove the air layer, I would still check the state of your roots on the root stock and if you want to use it as a dwarf rootstock, graft a few other varieties on it with a cleft graft or two.
                Tim J. Camas WA 8b Take rest in the shade of the fig tree which God has grown and taste the sweet fruit of his labors.

Comment

Working...
                X