X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on New Fig Finds

I have a question for the experienced fig hunters. Once you find a new seedling/variety fig growing with some fruits, how long do you wait before determining its ok to announce the find and introduce the new variety ?

I ask this because I recently found an area with many seedling fig trees (40) that were growing there for many years, maybe 20-30 years and I noticed they are starting to have some fruits, one was a nice tasting red flesh fig, another was a larger fruited honey type fig.
    Last edited by sc4001992; 08-23-2021, 05:41 PM.
    Fullerton, CA

As long as you know it is a seedling and also know it is not already found/sold by someone else. Then name and and sell it. Just say it has not been confirmed to be common. Send cuttings to family and friends outside of wasp land to determine that.
    Louisiana Zone 8/9. W/L Whatever fig I don't have.

Comment

• Fig Gazer
      Fig Gazer commented
      Editing a comment
      goodfriendmike agree with your post ! ITis posible to "introduce " a seedling fig without 'selling" wonder what sc4001992 had in mind and where he or she is from ?

• goodfriendmike
      goodfriendmike commented
      Editing a comment
      Fig Gazer he/she gotta be in Cali to find 40 seedlings in one area. And you are correct. I am just so used to people selling or trying to sell everytime I see a post like this. But its not always so.

• acerpictum
      acerpictum commented
      Editing a comment
      It will be easier to isolate several inflorescences from blastophages and the likelihood of error will be less.

goodfriendmike, ok, thank you.

I did take a few photos of the red fig that I liked the taste. I know these are all seedling trees since the owner of the land said they never planted any at this spot and there are over 40 trees growing.

Last edited by sc4001992; 08-24-2021, 02:20 PM.
    Fullerton, CA

Comment

• Newbie2figs
      Newbie2figs commented
      Editing a comment
      That has beautiful colors 😀

• 2AngelsMushrooms
      2AngelsMushrooms commented
      Editing a comment
      That is really pretty!

• sc4001992
      sc4001992 commented
      Editing a comment
      goodfriendmike, yes I took cuttings of the red flesh and larger honey looking figs. I'll graft a few and root some. I have access to these figs so when my health is better I can actually go down further and check out all of the trees, there's a lot and some are very large trees. Currently on crutch so it's a little tough getting down in the hillside. I tripped just getting a few sample fruits of these on flat surface dirt. Wife says I can't go in there again so will need to wait a little bit.

Beautiful fig, looks like you found a good spot👍🏻
    Round Rock, TX 8b
    WL: Delicious figs

Comment

• sc4001992
      sc4001992 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, yes I didn't even know these fig trees were there. Just decided to check it out now since I started collecting some figs this year.
      Last edited by sc4001992; 08-24-2021, 01:48 AM.

Haa you should put a fence 😂😂😂keep out already taken
    Attached Files
    Mario
    Texas 9A

Comment

Looks like a great find. Just don't let anyone know where it is. They may come in a cut it down.
      Northern CA 9b W L- Big Large Fruited Varieties and promising new finds

Comment

• goodfriendmike
        goodfriendmike commented
        Editing a comment
        That is why I always say.(hope you have cuttings). Some people in it just for the money.

• sc4001992
        sc4001992 commented
        Editing a comment
        ok, good to know. There's so much larger trees that you really can't see the figs unless you go inside the growth. They just cut down some of the large trees (80ft) so the fig trees were now visible. If I find a really superior fig tree in the bunch, I might just dig it up and move it to my yard. But I already have to much junk and fruit trees that I don't think it's a good idea for my marriage.

Since many people commented on the cool looking fig tree photos, maybe I better go back and cut more scions of the red one just in case until I can walk better and go taste all of the fig fruits. Eventually when I determine which figs are good for introduction I will ask some of you that I have traded with to be a tester of the new varieties. Probably will be next spring time.
      Fullerton, CA

Comment

For our fig hunter friends I wonder if its possible to leave a standardized tag that says this tree has been found and cuttings taken.
        Tony, Toronto Canada USDA 4B now 5B apparently!!
        Wishlist:
        Yellow Neches, St Martain, Texas Peach.

Comment

I just noticed there was another long thread on new CA seedling figs so I will be posting future info/photos of the other new figs I see in this group of 40 trees I found later next spring in that post. Thanks for all the good info here.
          Fullerton, CA

Comment

• Nick Costanza
            Nick Costanza commented
            Editing a comment
            it might be better to just start a new post on each fig, no one wants to go back and read 100's of posts. Just my little opinion. You can do as you like.

• sc4001992
            sc4001992 commented
            Editing a comment
            Nick, that sounds like a good idea, thank you. I did notice that the main post on CA seedling varieties is pretty long and it does take time to go through all the posts.

I will take your suggestion and will make a separate one for each fig that looks like a good one. I will need to create a name for this red flesh fig and get more photos of the fruits in the next few weeks so I can create a separate post.
        Working...
        X