X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De tres Esplets, rosa Esmeralda, preto de torres novas 2021

Now this is an awesome thing to come home to. Three different main crop varieties ripe enough to sample that I’ve never tasted before. I’m going to try to keep this succinct, because we don’t need a novel to review a fig, but I do want to collect all my thoughts. There’s no gilded story with the reviews I’ve done, just my honest opinion and experience.I’d love for others to chime in as well.

First was Fico Preto De Torres Novas. This little tree is loaded for its size, but none of the figs are very big. Several of them are ripening now so I’ll let them hang a little longer until I probably let some really dry on the tree. To me the eye is a little scary on these as it’s kind of big with them being so small, but I think they’ll be ok. The ripeness on this one was nice, but it can always go longer. The skin is a little fuzzy and kind of thick, but that doesn’t detract. Flavor on this one was just ok. It was sweet. About like my first Florea last year. Nothing special. I’ve had 3 Florea so far this year that have blown everything away from that tree last year. Night and day difference, so I think I can hopefully anticipate PdTN performing better with more age. This tree got a slight headstart of just a couple weeks in my greenhouse, so I think I could likely put this one in the ground. For now it gets an incomplete for a grade just because I want to see more.

Next up was Rosa Esmeralda. I expected the main crop on this one to be a larger size. It was about the same size as torres novas. However, this one absolutely stopped me in my tracks. I think my exact words were Holy $*!+. This little fig was insanely sweet. It was like one of those strawberry candies at grandma’s house. The ones with the red and green wrapper that you pick through the candy dish for. I can see why Gardencrochet rated this one so highly. Very syrupy and had a nice texture. A+ For flavor, sweetest fig of the year for me so far. C for size. Incomplete for productivity because initially it only produced 3 figs on one branch but now with its third flush of growth every node has figlets, just too late in the season this year. This one gets extra credit for not getting a headstart and ripening main mid-August. If you want dried figs on a tree this would be one to do it if this is all the bigger they are. Super tight eye and really high sugar.

Last taste today was De Tres Esplets, and probably the headliner of the day. Rosa Esmeralda won the day on these samples, but I think DTE is going to be the better fig. Right off the bat, DTE scores a bonus because when I picked it there was a little latex on the stem. It didn’t matter. The pics may not have picked it up but this thing was starting to get syrupy. It does have a little bit of an eye, but I think it’ll fill in when fully ripe. This one was really good. Very nicely sweet, definite berry notes, a little hint of acidity at the end. It reminded me a little of ronde de Bordeaux. Overall I think this one is going to end up being a staple fig of the Northwest. The next one I’ll let go even longer, see if I can force it to split possibly, but ultimately I want to see what happens if it hangs a really long time. Will it spoil or dry before our rain sets in in October?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sod; 08-23-2021, 07:53 PM.
    Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
    Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Beauties. Nice to see you are in Oregon. I'm just across the river in Washington zone 8b as well. Now we can compare notes locally.
    Tim J. Camas WA 8b Take rest in the shade of the fig tree which God has grown and taste the sweet fruit of his labors.

Comment

• shawnjames70
      shawnjames70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice im in eastern wash will hope to see my DTE fruit next year!! Cant wait...

Thanks for sharing. I have a Rosa Esmaeralda, 1st year growing from a cutting and look forward to it ripening.
    Zone 10a - NC San Diego. WL: Vernino, HdA,Tia Penya, Burgan unk, CDDN,"itos" x3, De Tres Esplets https://sandiegofruitfarm.com/
    youtube.com/Rooted1

Comment

Nice write-up. Re DTE, I learned last year that you can let it hang for a while. The flavor changes. I know you plan to try it. Let us know what you learn.
      Joe, Z6B, RI.

Comment

• Sod
        Sod commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome. Most of the ones I’ve picked early is because there are several on the tree, so I can experiment a little bit with it. To be honest some of it is because I’m really impatient. DTE has me intrigued.

• Netstars
        Netstars commented
        Editing a comment
        Sod - and I wasn’t going to say anything - patience grasshopper 🐣

• Sod
        Sod commented
        Editing a comment
        Netstars dude I’m trying. It’s so tough.

Now you have my mouth watering for rosa! Should get to try one next year
      Louisiana Zone 8/9. W/L Whatever fig I don't have.

Comment

• Sod
        Sod commented
        Editing a comment
        Can’t beat cheap, sweet, and maybe early

Looking great. Thanks for the reviews, Sod!
      Seattle (zone 8b).

Comment

Great write up.
        awesome to see so many varieties coming out of the PNW
        Round Rock, TX 8b
        WL: Delicious figs

Comment

• Netstars
          Netstars commented
          Editing a comment
          We call him, “Mr. Microclimate” now!

• Sod
          Sod commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol. Don’t listen to him. Nobody calls me that.

• Halligan-
          Halligan- commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahaha
          At least he didn’t shorten the name😂

Nice work Eric! You are really well set up for lots of the extra early ones.

Now, what's your take on when our main season figs will really take off??
        Eugene OR 8b

Comment

• Sod
          Sod commented
          Editing a comment
          Hard to tell. Most of my etnas are swelling, some more than others. None of them got headstarts. I’ve picked 5 or 6 Florea already. I’ve got several that are swelling right now, that I didn’t anticipate being this early.

LDA, MDDS, Italian honey main crop is going to be done by mid September at the latest, black Jack. The early ones I anticipated but if I had to guess, I’d say mid September a lot of mine will be in full swing.

jrdewhirst man were you ever right about the flavor changing on DTE. I got home today to find one that was about as perfect as I think I could get it. It straight up tasted like Hawaiian Punch. Really awesome tang on the back of the tongue. This fig is awesome. Holy cow.
        Attached Files
        Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Comment

• PacNorWreck
          PacNorWreck commented
          Editing a comment
          This is one of only 3 varieties I’m going after this cutting season, if I can’t snag a live plant from a nursery. That looks awesome.

• jrdewhirst
          jrdewhirst commented
          Editing a comment
          Perfect! I'm very glad to hear it.

Update on Preto de Torres Novas. I admit I struggled figuring out when to pick this one this year. It gets soft pretty quick, but I found it lacking flavor. It’s the first year it’s fruited but it produced a ton. It’s only it’s second year. Here’s the thing though, it’s continued to ripen figs into the cold, it doesn’t split at all, doesn’t seem to spoil, and to top it off it looks like it’s full of what will be breba buds come spring time. I may find that this one could be a real winner for us here in the PNW. It doesn’t get hyped up much so it should be relatively affordable.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Halligan-
          Halligan- commented
          Editing a comment
          That stem is nuts!
      Working...
      X