X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figs spitting this year

I usually don’t post very much,but was wondering if I’m watering to much, because I’m getting a lot of figs that are spitting this year. It’s the 2nd rainiest summer on record here in zone 5,Syracuse,NY area. I have about 15 trees in pots and water 2gals. for all 15 by hand in the morning and 3 gals. at the end of the day. Thank you in advance for everyone’s comments,Mike
    Wish List: Any early ripening n cold hardy fig,early ripening Adriatic berry fig

Figs splitting is more due to barometric pressure causing an increased differential pressure between inside and outside of the Fig. Regular scheduled watering is best practice.

Ficus carica grown in their native temperate Mediterranean Zones ripen during the Dry Season when there is little to no rain or changes in barometric pressure.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Vladimir ,
      The Fig: Botany, Horticulture and Breeding... http://figs4fun.com/Links/FigLink129.pdf

Page 136,
      "Other environmental conditions such as rain, hail, and wind can reduce fruit quality and production. Rain may cause fruit splits.
      Splitting is the result of sudden changes in the internal fruit pressure brought on by cool temperatures and/or high humidity as the fruit matures (Freguson et al. 1990)..."

• Vladimir
      Vladimir commented
      Editing a comment
      AscPete Where does it mention barometric pressure? Your quote does not mention it.

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Vladimir ,
      The weather conditions reflect the 'Barometric Pressures'. The "internal fruit pressure" reflects the "differential pressure" between the inside of the fig and the outside atmospheric pressure. Barometric Pressure is simply a metrics for the variable outside pressure on the fig. I've grown in SIPs for several years and have observed lots of splitting on rainy days (Low barometric pressure) and no splitting on sunny days (high barometric pressure), all with the same amount of water supplied by the SIPs.

I've had more than the usual number of figs split. There was an awful lot of rain with the hurricane passing by. I expected some splitting but this is the first time I saw a small split on an LSU Purple.
    7B Southern NJ

Comment

Some varieties are just prone to splitting more than others. Even the figs that didn't split were picked off their respective trees because they were water logged after the heavy rains.

I was never going to get a consistently ripe Black Madeira in my zone but they all split. Same with BMKK. Pink Jerusalem is another one. Any varieties that split for me will be culled except for the BM and BMKK just so I have sticks to give away to folks in more hospitable and fig friendly climates.
      Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania / Zone 6b

Comment

Same here, lots of splitters this year, most notably GN, Florea and RdB, which always seems to split often in our climate.
        Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

• BlueEagle1967
          BlueEagle1967 commented
          Editing a comment
          Good call Otis. I forgot about RdB although it wasn't as bad as some other varieties.

• Otis
          Otis commented
          Editing a comment
          The interesting thing about the RdB I'm referring is potted in a 10 gal
          container under my carport so not getting much of the copious amt of rain we get here and I was only watering it enough to keep it from major wilt. So I think Pete's assertion that barometric pressure drops can be a root cause of a lot of splitting is correct.

• BlueEagle1967
          BlueEagle1967 commented
          Editing a comment
          Otis I'm thinking the same thing. Some figs have started to split even after the rains which I thought was odd. Hopefully with warmer weather and very little rain in the forecast we get back on track.

Yeah I don’t think the splitting is from overwatering. That being said- I think you could cut back to watering only once a day
        Travis - Cincinnati OH. Zone 6
        wishlist- ondata, Verdolino, rosselino, lsu Scott’s black, crozes, brown sugar crunch https://youtube.com/channel/UCYp6pIa2-WlnommArTGKlpQ

Comment

Just water in the morning. Why in the evening?
          GA, 7b

Comment

So you are giving each tree 1/3 gallon of water a day? Assuming they are established in 5 gallon containers in full sun, that’s doesn’t sound like too much. I water about 2/3 gallon a day split between 2 waterings for 5 gallon. Sometimes a full gallon over 90F.

With all the rain/humidity/pressure I got a little while ago for over a week, I had issues with splitting/cracking/spoiling that brought on the pests (bees/wasps, flies, fruit flies, etc) with most varieties ripening at the time including Smith, RDB, Pastiliere, Mt Etnas, DTE, Florea, Iranian Candy. Varieties that held up pretty well include Improved Celeste, Celeste, Golden Celeste, Brogiotto Bianco, Green Michurinska, and Peter’s Honey. Still trying to fight off the pests that are ruining under ripe figs now that the rain is gone.
            Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

• BlueEagle1967
              BlueEagle1967 commented
              Editing a comment
              Don, the pests are everywhere. I took some of the ripe and watered down figs and just discarded them. The challenge is not to get stung by bees and wasps that are on the fruit. Hopefully as the new figs ripen this will be less of a problem.
          Working...
          X