X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share season highs and lows so far.

What are you most impressed with so far this season and what are you most disappointed with? I guess I’m referring to varieties but it can be anything.

So far…most impressed with Azores Dark. Grew like a weed and set almost 2 dozen fruit in its second season. I need to be better at letting them hang awhile longer to see what it can do.

Most disappointed with Yellow Neches…grew and set a lot of small fruit, and has dropped all but 3 with none ripening. I thought this was supposed to be an early one too. Kinda bummed as I thought the flavor was supposed to be unique. Trying to decide whether to give it another season.

Edit: Also the heat has been a blessing and a curse…it was 94 deg here today with dew points approaching 70%.

My surprise favorite this year is Takoma Violet. I put it in ground last year as a one year old. It didn't grow much, but put figs on every node that did grow, and tastes like a juicy blackberry. Deep, intense taste.
    Zone 7B/8A Wake Forest, NC. Wish list - 1. To stop murdering fig cuttings. 2. To find the biggest, juiciest, cold hardiest, most delicious common fig in the world! (and not murder it)

Comment

• MyDogMike
      MyDogMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like it's underrated.

Texas Strawberry Unk has been my favorite figs this year twice the size of my WM1, JHA and Strawberry Vert. It also has denser, richer more flavorful fruit than those listed above.
    They been ripening since the first week of July without a head start.

Not a bad buy for $28 to the door last winter
    Attached Files
    Round Rock, TX 8b
    WL: Delicious figs

Comment

• Halligan-
      Halligan- commented
      Editing a comment
      Emalyn’s Purple was a flop for me this year. In my climate it seems to have a really mushy texture and bland taste. It does taste like maple syrup when ripe, but I don’t know about the texture...

• MyDogMike
      MyDogMike commented
      Editing a comment
      EP split like crazy for me.

EDIT: was going to make a comment about how early Texas S Unk must be but i forgot you're in Texas now...lol Still looks like a winner.

• Halligan-
      Halligan- commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, living in Texas is like giving everything a head start

Disappointed in dwarf gold. I expected some of them to hold but they all dropped.

Most impressive is kind of tough because I’m still getting stuff. Florea is better this year than last year. All the etnas are really good. Teramo was a pleasant surprise. CDDbn and Rosa Esmeralda were very good. RdB has been very good.

Edit: also disappointed in Bordisott blanca negra which has dropped a lot.

And this has been a hard year for air layers for me. For some reason I’ve lost about half of what I’ve set now. Some have died back on the trees, some have died after being potted, even after they’ve started to leaf out. I didn’t have this problem last year and I’m not doing anything different so I’m stumped.
    Last edited by Sod; 08-27-2021, 07:44 AM.
    Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, bigger studio, truth in marketing.

Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs.

Comment

• SubmarinePete
      SubmarinePete commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! I'm still waiting for Rosa Esmeralda. I might get my first one to ripen today--its really close.

• Sod
      Sod commented
      Editing a comment
      SubmarinePete I’m curious to see what your Rosa Esmeralda looks like. Mine was tiny but crazy sweet.

• SubmarinePete
      SubmarinePete commented
      Editing a comment
      Sod I think I'll get two fruits to ripen tomorrow. They are still close but not quite there.

Biggest nice surprises were how improved my 2nd year, (1st year in ground), Smith has been compared to last year and LSU Gold really took me by surprise. First year in ground and almost a dozen 45-70g fruit with a ripe banana thing going on. Florea was a workhorse last year and in the ground this year it keeps pumping out fruit and they are better than the potted ones were, but a lot more splitters in ground so far. VdB is also tasting up to it's strawberry/ raspberry potential better this year too. And the few Etna's we've gotten haven't disappointed either.
    Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

My big disappointment this year is that most of my 2nd leaf figs have done nothing. I guess I needed to hit them with a generous fertilizer regimen right away in the early spring. On a positive note I have not suffered much in the way of death and destruction, aside from the one hail storm, which tore up the leaves.
      [Figs] -- Eastern Missouri -- Zone 6

Comment

• ginamcd
        ginamcd commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a year where my second leaf trees didn't set fruit. I agree, it is a huge disappointment! Hopefully your trees do what mine did and make up for it in year three.

Click image for larger version

Name:	138EB31E-A661-4A31-AAB7-D0F43DB3C8C0.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	469.8 KB
ID:	1041641
      This was the best fig of the year so far. Nice dense pulp.

Comment

My best fig was a very ripe Adriatic JH from a tree head-started indoors, picked a couple weeks ago.

Second best were normally grown two Ronde de Bordeaux picked today.

Close also-rans were a pair of BM kk also head-started indoors and a pair of normally grown but early-ripening Smiths that were just a little watery. I'm hoping for better from both now that weather is a little drier.

Biggest disappointment was probably the San Pedros, which all seemed mediocre.
        Joe, Z6B, RI.

Comment

I got very nice quality fruit from my second year Smith and VdB from cuttings I started in March ‘20, so those were definitely the highs. The low is definitely the awful August weather which has caused most of the fruit in the last 7-10 days to be watery and bland on pretty much every tree I have. One fig that I think I’ll consider getting rid of next year is Maltese Beauty, so that’s a variety-specific low. I haven’t gotten a single fruit with any flavor from it. I’m hoping we get a dry spell with plenty of sun but it looks like another week of bad weather is coming up

Comment

High - everything is ripening very early this year. Black Madeira, Flanders, Thermalito, Lampeira Prusch, etc are already swelling or have ripened. As far as varieties, JFE Improved Celeste is turning out to be an excellent fig and much better than my original Improved Celeste. Rivaling the flavor of my UNK Celeste without dropping and holding up the rain pretty good.

Low - nothing seems to taste that great this year and the rain/humidity is ruining a lot of figs and creating a lot of pest pressure.
            Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

• MyDogMike
              MyDogMike commented
              Editing a comment
              As soon as I read the taste comment, I thought you were going to say because of COVID. I know people who’s taste is still messed up all these months later…that would suck.

My best has been JH Adriatic so far. Was like strawberry pancake syrup!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210826_195402149.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	379.8 KB
ID:	1042365
            East Coast, Zone 7a
            WL: Boysenberry Blush, CdDB, BNR

Comment

Working...
            X