X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Madeira vs. Black Tuscan 2021

Very very similar taste, Black Tuscan was more intense sweet berry flavor compared to the Black Madeira, but very similar at the same time. I cant tell them a part in a blind taste test, this was my first Black Tuscan.
    Attached Files
    MJ
    Chicago Zone 5
    Figbid Listings Varieties List

If I haven't said it before I'll say it now. You have an excellent fig collection for zone 5. You sir have a green thumb!
    Last edited by tinyfish; 08-24-2021, 06:41 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
    Tony, Toronto Canada USDA 4B now 5B apparently!!
    Wishlist:
    Yellow Neches, St Martain, Texas Peach.

Comment

• MJA829
      MJA829 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Tony. All you need is a greenhouse, any size or shape will do.

• tinyfish
      tinyfish commented
      Editing a comment
      That will be my next step. I have been looking at a few of them online.

Looks good, thanks MJ.
    CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

They look like twins 😀 I agree with tinyfish❗
      Looking for De La Gloria.Your best teacher is your last mistake !

Comment

Are you able to comment on how ripening times compare at all yet?
        Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

• MJA829
          MJA829 commented
          Editing a comment
          Both are averaging 100 - 120 days ripening time

• Evdurtschi
          Evdurtschi commented
          Editing a comment
          3 years in a row, Black Tuscan has ripened figs looking exactly like Black Madeira and at the same time frame and from plants that look identical. Whether or not it is the same, I don’t know. I just know that it is redundant if you already have Black Madeira. At least in my climate.

• MJA829
          MJA829 commented
          Editing a comment
          Evdurtschi great to know, I dont mind keeping both, because they are very delicious and productive.

I will probably have MIB ripening in a few weeks, lets see how that one compares to both of these.

Looks delicious!!
        Zone 5 Barrie, on

Comment

don_sanders this is a 4 years old Black Madeira, I think it does better as it gets older, less than 120 days this season.

I keep it in the greenhouse.
          Early start first week of February.
          Attached Files
          MJ
          Chicago Zone 5
          Figbid Listings Varieties List

Comment

I wouldnt mind trying that black tuscan. This is my first year fruiting Black madera kk. Its about to ripen anytime now.
            7b.. Wish list figs.. #1.Verdalino, #2.Figoin.....

Comment

Nice comparison I have them both and the wait is so long. Thanks MJ for sharing
              Joe - Rhode Island Zone 7a

Comment

5b! I associate your handle w cali! Good job indeed. Your inlayed woodwork aint bad neither!
                wnc Z7a Hominy Valley
                wish list: a world without Invasive Pests

Comment

This is surprising considering Madeira and Tuscany are so far apart. How did two figs that are identical come from different locations ? Was there a mislabel somewhere ?
                  Dallas,TX - Zone 8a - Follow me @thefarmingtales on Insta.
                  WL - Angelito, El Sueno Yellow, Yellow Absheron, Fico Giallo, Tia Penya, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Cessac, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

MJ, just want to make sure I have this right. You keep the BM in the greenhouse year-round? What's the watering system you have for them? With how bad the rain was this season, I'm tempted to keep them in the greenhouse for the summer next season so I have complete control over the amount of rain they get. What is your watering schedule/system like? I have a BM cutting from last season that is doing very well but I don't give it much of a head start. It has quite a few fruit on it...I should've already removed quite a few of them but it's been very busy at work.

Comment

Working...
                    X