X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighborly Love

Today I had some time to kill so I was driving around. I spotted a big beautiful yellow fig growing in someone’s yard.

I was a little hesitant at first, to ask if I could try one, but parked and knocked on the front door.

An older lady answered the door and was so delighted that I stopped. She had been feeling sad all day and said I was the best news she’s had in a long time.

She excitedly told me how she grew this tree from a seed 40 years ago and how she would give its seedlings to friends when the fallen fruit had sprouted new plants.

She gave me some fruit, a bunch of cuttings, and even a piece of rare cactus. She was a collector of plants. I made a new friend.

To be honest, today was one of the best days I’ve had in a long time as well.
    Attached Files
    Anthony- Fig Finder of Los Angeles

Instagram

That’s super nice! I bet she needed that after all the isolation. The fig looks good too!
    ░░░SoCal░ ░ ͡ i ͡ ░ ░Zone░ ░9A░░░

W/L: La Joya, Ondata, Belvedere, Bebera Branca, Fico Giallo, Vernino, Asunta 5 Paco (DF)

Comment

now you have to find out if it is a common fig and find out if she gave it a name
      Independence Louisiana Zone 8B

Comment

• Figology
        Figology commented
        Editing a comment
        She was excited that I was going to continue her legacy through cuttings. I’ll be back to her house tomorrow and find a name, otherwise I’ll just call it by her name. I told her I would drop off some of the different cuttings I have

• Nick Costanza
        Nick Costanza commented
        Editing a comment
        great

Love this!
      // Los Angeles (10b) //
      // Wish List - A real yard with space to grow //

Comment

Beautiful story. You never know when or how you might be a blessing in someone else's life.
        7b/8a WL: Honey Plum, Negra d'Agde, Nixon Peace, Pound, TX Peach, any CdD, I-258, LSU varieties, Ronde de Bordeaux, Hunt, heirlooms and their stories other: World's Best Mulberry

Comment

This is an extra ripe fig from the same tree.
          Attached Files

Instagram

Comment

Leaf Patterns
            Attached Files

Instagram

Comment

Great day! I wonder if the red fleshed one was caprified while the golden one wasn’t? How did they taste?
              CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

• Figology
                Figology commented
                Editing a comment
                You might be right. The golden one tasted sweeter and more of a melon/honey taste. The reddish one tasted more like berries/honey. I preferred the golden ones.

That is an awesome story. Thanks for sharing.
              Lake Elsinore CA Zone 9b
              WL: Cessac, San Matue, Allix, Aignan, Barran, Amarcord, Joalle Figs.

Comment

Great story
                Ike
                bergen county NJ 6b
                Wish list: oh lets face it Ill take any variety I dont have!!

Comment

I love everything about this story! It's the good news I needed today. Thanks for being brave enough to ask and for sharing your story here.
                  Zone 10b, Long Beach CA
                  Creator of The Original Wasp In Fly Out (WIFO) Bags
                  Wish list: Bebera Branca

Comment

Wonderful story and both of you made a new friend!!
                    8A GA Wishlist: Black Socorro,Ponte Tresa,Stella,White Adriatic #1, Cavaliere, Colonel Littman's Black Cross, heirloom figs that have been passed down from generation to generation

Comment

A very touching story that shows how deep a connection growing plants can have on us. Nicely done.
                      Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

Such a wonderful and heartwarming connection. I'm so glad you worked up the courage to ask and that she opened the door. Many elderly couples and individuals are scared to open their doors to strangers due to scams and violence.
                        Ida - San Francisco Peninsula, Calif 10a. Wishlist: a squirrel catcher.

Comment

• Figology
                          Figology commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It’s a dangerous world we live in, but there are still some good people left.

Nice to hear stories like this. I had the same experience as well. I’m in zone 5 Ontario and as you know it’s kinda hard to find growers that collect figs. As I was driving north on a side road in a country road I spotted giant fig trees in large water containers. I couldn’t help myself but to stop at the house amazed. I was just about to ring the door bell and an older man sees me. Long story short I met the older man ask him a few questions about his passion for the fig trees and how he grows his trees. He then ask me “you wanna see figs”? I said yes!! He takes me to the back where he had a 20x30 greenhouse. He opens the door and there it was fig trees all in ground all about 6 to 12 feet high in zone 5. I was in heaven. After talking about the love for figs and how he grows them we ended up exchanging numbers And invited me to go over with my kids to have some figs if I were to help him prune his trees. Here are the photos check it out guys.
                        Attached Files
                        Zone 5 Barrie, on

Comment

• JT1923
                          JT1923 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Incredible builds! Would not have envisioned IBC for tree pots 😂 I love it.

• swethakyadav
                          swethakyadav commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Oh boy !!! Amazing

• Halligan-
                          Halligan- commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wow😳
                          That’s awesome!

These stories reinforce my confidence that fig people are the best people ❤️💛💚
                        Zone 10b, Long Beach CA
                        Creator of The Original Wasp In Fly Out (WIFO) Bags
                        Wish list: Bebera Branca

Comment

very nice stories
                          Toronto, Canada USDA Zone 5. Wish List: Azores Dark, Malta Black, Sucrette, LSU Hollier and Violet Sepor. I'm always interested in trading cuttings if your in the Southern Ontario area. Thank You!

Comment

That is awesome, kudos to you!
                            Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

Very touching! Thanks for taking the time to make a post for it.
                              North Texas - Zone 8a
                              Fig Collection: Adriatic JH, Black Celeste, BMKK, BNR, Celeste, Craven's Craving, I-258, Improved Celeste, Peter's Honey, RDB, Smith, and YLN. (No Wishlist)

Comment

Such a great story, thanks for sharing
                                -- Zone 10a
                                Documenting my fig addiction here

Comment

Great stories, very heartwarming!
                                  (PNW, Z8b) WL: Almost anything. I have to trade: tayberries, mints, moringa, raspberries, asparagus, grapes, sunchokes, currants, pawpaws

Comment

Dude that's what makes this hobby what it is. I have made many friends through plants. I feel there's a connection with people who care for plants. There's almost a spiritual connection. Glad you made her day and made a new friend.
                                    Forest Hill, Texas: Zone 8a

No wish list but open to trades and offers

Comment

Very nice to see stories of human kindness with all the issues the country is facing. Well done!
                                      Brielle, NJ..Zone 7a

Comment

Update: I was able to secure the variety. My Sonia fig tree is one of the most unique trees I have. I really like the colors.
                                        Attached Files

Instagram

Comment

• TNJed
                                          TNJed commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          That’s a very pretty little tree 👍🏼

That's pretty awesome, how you got it and that you are spreading it around.

Very nice!
                                        Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

Working...
                                        X