X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figs of the day - Melanzana, Val Rosso and my first Honey Plum!

I posted Melanzana earlier. That was a breba and an outstanding one at that. This main was even better and what a champ. Not many trees can produce figs this large that are so sweet and delicious.

Click image for larger version  Name:	melan-scale.jpg Views:	26 Size:	648.2 KB ID:	1040286
    Click image for larger version  Name:	melanzana-close.jpg Views:	26 Size:	288.1 KB ID:	1040287

Val Rosso was also introduced by Pino - This one sat on the tree a real long time. A sweet, mostly seedless melon fig. Wonderful.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vr-scale.jpg Views:	27 Size:	691.2 KB ID:	1040288
    Click image for larger version  Name:	VR-close.jpg Views:	27 Size:	318.3 KB ID:	1040289

And certainly not least, Honey Plum. Thanks to Evdurtschi many people are enjoying these figs. The tree has not been super vigorous for me. This late in the season and only knee-high.... but it managed to set a few figs and for a first fig on a small tree, this one is a winner. The name says it all.

Click image for larger version  Name:	hp-scale.jpg Views:	26 Size:	677.1 KB ID:	1040290
    Click image for larger version  Name:	hp-close.jpg Views:	26 Size:	284.5 KB ID:	1040291

The lineup...

Click image for larger version  Name:	plate.jpg Views:	26 Size:	521.9 KB ID:	1040293

It was a good Tuesday

Click image for larger version  Name:	table.jpg Views:	27 Size:	637.6 KB ID:	1040294
    Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Very nice! They all look good! I managed to root a few Honey Plums and am hoping to try it next year.
    ░░░SoCal░ ░ ͡ i ͡ ░ ░Zone░ ░9A░░░

W/L: La Joya, Ondata, Belvedere, Bebera Branca, Fico Giallo, Vernino, Asunta 5 Paco (DF)

Comment

Very nice Joe!!
      Zone 5 Barrie, on

Comment

Nice lineup Joe!
        https://youtube.com/channel/UCHHopi_E99OBvafBPEcF_pg
        Zone 8B - Cottage Grove, Or
        Wish List - Crema di Wheat

Comment

Wait. Honey plum main crop?
          Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
          Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Comment

• TorontoJoe
            TorontoJoe commented
            Editing a comment
            It would appear.....

• Sod
            Sod commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool! I thought they dropped main crop without the wasp.

Yaaay, I'm glad to see some Honey Plum main crop pix. Mine is in its first leaf and set several figs. Looking forward to these!
          Angel #1 at 2 Angels Mushrooms & Figs-Chattanooga, TN Zone 7-B
          You are invited to The Fig Frolic on Sat., Sept. 17th, AND Hang Time (for OurFigs only) INFO HERE

Comment

Originally posted by 2AngelsMushrooms View Post
            Yaaay, I'm glad to see some Honey Plum main crop pix. Mine is in its first leaf and set several figs. Looking forward to these!
            It's honey-plum-a-licious!
            Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

Yum! Honey plum? Sounds interesting.
              South Jersey, zone 7a- 20 mins from Philly, 30 mins from AC

Comment

All of them look tasty!
                Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

Honey Plum -- my 1st leaf tree produced one 31g fig a few days ago. It was very juicy and moderately sweet.
                  [Figs] -- Eastern Missouri -- Zone 6

Comment

TorontoJoe Did you get any fruit drop from Honey Plum?
                    Catonsville MD Zone 7A
                    Wishlist: Crozes

Comment

• TorontoJoe
                      TorontoJoe commented
                      Editing a comment
                      None have dropped so far

I'm glad to see another positive report about Honey Plum! I'm waiting for mine to ripen. I think several people have said good things about it now, so I'm excited to try that one.

Did you use a greenhouse to ripen it, or is it just an early fig?
                    FigLife: www.figlife.com
                    www.youtube.com/figlifedotcom
                    [email protected]

Comment

Interesting varieties and nice harvest of August figs!
                      Almaguin Highlands, Canada. Zone 4a/3b. WL: Ronde de Bordeaux, Florea, Hollier, Dauphine, Gisotta nero, Verdolino, Malta Black, Violet Sepor .Any early finishers would help, just starting out, not picky. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication~Da Vinci

Comment

Hmmm Although I applaud your success, I admit to being a bit bummed. I culled my honey plum 2 years ago when all the figs dropped and believed it was a smyrna.
                        Soccer playing, whiskey drinking, cigar smoking, dark fig eating woman
                        married to my best friend, the same uber tolerant man, for 29 years
                        Zone 7a

Comment

• JMF75
                          JMF75 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Is this normal for this variety to drop its figs before maturity?

• Brian M
                          Brian M commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I think after the Lorusso fiasco you need at least 4-5 years to make a decision that a fig is a Smyrna. Look at Oro and most of his others. All flourishing now throughout the US. Yes I know a few are still dropping but most are not.

• blaze
                          blaze commented
                          Editing a comment
                          @Brain M
                          Yeah live and learn. I have a 2 five year old pastilieres that drop every fig. Smyrna or not i am about done....
                      Working...
                      X