X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persistent caprifig for pollination?

I just wanted to clarify, do you need a persistent caprifig to hand pollinate? Or would any Capri fig work? Someone mentioned you would need persistent, but I wanted to make sure.
    NC Sandhills zone 8A. Wishlist- BNR, CDDG, and split resistant figs.

I'm pretty sure persistence is required, otherwise the caprifigs will drop before you get pollen.
    Northern VA, Zone 7a

Comment

You need a persistent caprifig if you don’t have the wasps.
      San Francisco Zone 10B.
      WL: None

Comment

You need a persistent caprifig if you want to plant the seeds and grow female figs that can fruit for you without the wasp.

If all you want to do is caprify the figs to improve their flavor, or to grow smyrna varieties in a location without the wasp, any caprifig will work. You just need male pollen. If you use a caducous caprifig to do this, you'll be able to eat the fruit from smyrna varieties, but if you plant the seed, none of the offspring will be persistent.
        Zone 8A Southeast NC Coast
        Subscribe via YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheMillennialGardener
        Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NCGardening

Comment

• swethakyadav
          swethakyadav commented
          Editing a comment
          This is my understanding, based on which I have acquired Yanonali and Girsh for hand pollination from next season. I only care about getting caprified figs and no interest in breeeding.

• It Could use another day
          It Could use another day commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here, I'm just looking for taste there's no point in growing seeds.

Thanks everyone, if anyone has persistent caprifig cuttings/plants im
        looling!
        NC Sandhills zone 8A. Wishlist- BNR, CDDG, and split resistant figs.

Comment

Working...
        X