X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank You, @BlueEagle1967

Last year, I receive a bag of cuttings from BlueEagle1967. In it, there were 5 varieties -- Black Green, RLBV, Smith, JHA, and Kesariani. I keep one of each, and forward the rest. Boy!!! They are the best cuttings ever!!!!

Here are the trees.

Black Greek. This tree is extremely vigorous in spite of some early season abuse. It should ripen almost 30 figs in its first season. I made a mistake of pinching it in early June, otherwise it probably would produce 50 figs in first season.
    Along with RLBV below, It's one of the most tasty Mount Etna figs here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210825_193016.jpg Views:	0 Size:	461.9 KB ID:	1040786
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210825_192914.jpg Views:	0 Size:	497.6 KB ID:	1040787 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210825_192954.jpg Views:	0 Size:	503.1 KB ID:	1040785

RLBV. Produce 35 figs in its first season.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210825_193057.jpg Views:	0 Size:	479.1 KB ID:	1040788

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210825_193045.jpg Views:	0 Size:	387.4 KB ID:	1040789

Smith. I have picked a few figs from this tree. They are as good as advertised. And Early!! Expecting great things from this tree next year.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210825_193156.jpg Views:	0 Size:	485.1 KB ID:	1040790

JHA

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210825_193230.jpg Views:	0 Size:	486.8 KB ID:	1040791

Kesariani -- after all the mishaps, this variety is growing strong in my collection. I initially rooted 2 cuttings in 1 cup. When I separate them so that I could send one the a forum member, the one I kept died. The one the forum member received most likely died too. Don't disturb the root of this variety early. So, in March, I rooted a tiny backup. Took a while for it to grow, but looks very good now. Expecting great production form it next year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_130314.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	474.3 KB
ID:	1040793

Cleveland South - Zone 5B.

I second that. Several of my trees are grown from cuttings that I received from BlueEagle1967. The cuttings are much apprciated. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210808_140847.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	516.4 KB
ID:	1040814
    NNJ 6B
    Wishlist: Colar d'Albatera, Mary Magdalene's and the Virgin Mary's Fig, Red Lebanese BV

Comment

• jake44141
      jake44141 commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice and organized.

• KDAD
      KDAD commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks jake44141 that picture is from earlier this month. I moved them all with this weekend's rain and placed them back. They are even more organized now with better spacing. The old way was alphabetical, the new way is by ripening order.

• jake44141
      jake44141 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometimes, I am just so ashamed for how messy my backyard is. Fortunately, I have fence and trees to block the view from people.

Your green thumb is amazing! I wish I had that kind of growth and production on my first year trees!
    ░░░SoCal░ ░ ͡ i ͡ ░ ░Zone░ ░9A░░░

W/L: La Joya, Ondata, Belvedere, Bebera Branca, Fico Giallo, Vernino, Asunta 5 Paco (DF)

Comment

Wow awesome trees people....they all look great!
      Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

Thanks a million jake44141 and KDAD

Those tress look incredible. Sometimes we're always chasing the next premier/hyped fig that we overlook the productivity and taste of figs like Black Greek, Kessariani, RLBV and Smith, especially in colder zones. RLBV really blew me away this year and it's a variety that will get better with age. I gave some Smith and RLBV figs that I picked a couple of weeks ago to some Greek relatives and they loved them. They have their own trees from the homeland but after tasting a nice RLBV and Smith, they wanted some cuttings which I'll get them. That says a lot about those varieties and they're definite winners in our zone.

I'll also add that I started collecting figs to share and enjoy with my aging parents who immigrated from Greece. I met Jamie0507 who lived near me and she gifted me a bunch of cuttings, many of which I promptly killed as a newbee. Jamie then graciously gave me 3 mature potted plants for my Dad to enjoy the last year he was with us and that's something I'll always appreciate. It's what makes this place special. It's full of great people and being able to pay it forward to other enthusiasts is always a pleasure.
        Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania / Zone 6b

Comment

• BlueEagle1967
          BlueEagle1967 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ted, Adriatics are my favorite but I just can't get them to consistently ripen in my zone. Hopefully NJ is a bit better. I was in Astoria a couple of weeks ago and I got a laugh from all the fig trees in people's front yard. It was a connection to their home country......

• BlueEagle1967
          BlueEagle1967 commented
          Editing a comment
          KDAD Don't sweat it if you can't get some wood. I'll have plenty and make sure you get some cuttings in the fall. Kessariani and RLBV are also great additions in the Northeast if you don't have them. Let me know.

• jake44141
          jake44141 commented
          Editing a comment
          BlueEagle1967, wasp infestation seems to get progressively worse everyday. Control them early next year.

I should thank BlueEagle1967 too since I received some of Pak's extra cuttings. They all survived but my thumb is not as green as Pak's. I am sure I will get to taste these varieties next season. Thanks both of you for sharing!
        Peter - San Diego 10a. Santa Rosa 9b, 10b. WL: Angelito, Sicily 33, Narucciolo d Elba and Figoin. Better to give than to receive

Comment

Here's the RLBV. All figlets were remove after July 20th

Name:	IMG_20211005_171445.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	500.1 KB
ID:	1072195

Cleveland South - Zone 5B.

Comment

Originally posted by jake44141 View Post
            Here's the RLBV. All figlets were remove after July 20th

Name:	IMG_20211005_171445.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	500.1 KB
ID:	1072195
            Awesome @BlueEagle1967, so many great people on this forum to learn from and some are very generous. Im a newbie and was given Smith plant and Lsu tiger Airlayer by a member on this forum. jake44141, your plants look healthy and very nice.
            Wishlist: col de dame Rimada, LSU Strawberry, Bass's Verdone, Moro di Caneva, VERDOLINO, zaffiro. Figoin

Comment

• BlueEagle1967
              BlueEagle1967 commented
              Editing a comment
              Sheergenius This community is a great place and full of good people with great advice. Hit me up mid-November and I'll be able to get you some cuttings from your wish list.

• Sheergenius
              Sheergenius commented
              Editing a comment
              BlueEagle1967 Wow, thanks so much. I will definitely Hit you up.

It great to see the camaraderie in this forum, is essential to be able to assist each other on this fig journey. Being a newbie I love seeing this, and more importantly how figs bring us back to our traditional past. The Italians talk about fig trees from back home home as do the Greeks and Portuguese. The sharing is a essential to our community.
            Guy A
            St Augustine Fl.
            Zone 9A.

Comment

• BlueEagle1967
              BlueEagle1967 commented
              Editing a comment
              Guy, folks shared with me when I was new and I was on a mission and fighting father time because my father was near the end. I wanted him to enjoy some figs and give him a little bit of happiness at the end. He'd sit outside the porch and watch the garden and the fig trees gifted to me by Jamie0507. I haven't seen her around in a while and some folks mentioned she moved to Texas. This community is a great one for sure......

• GuyA
              GuyA commented
              Editing a comment
              BlueEagle1967, I do the same. I sit outside in my chair and look at my I 258, each morning as I say my prayers. I planted it on July 2nd of this year. Chest high with about 16 figs in various stages.

• BlueEagle1967
              BlueEagle1967 commented
              Editing a comment
              GuyA It's the best!! I enjoy watering the plants myself and it's a respite from the craziness sometimes. Very calming.....
          Working...
          X