X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing the light - 40,000 lumens for $10

Lowest price per lumen - on sale, 2 units x 20k lumens each for $9.99 on Amazon.

These are MOTION ACTIVATED - use an oscillating fan and they won't turn off - so these can work for grow lights.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8&psc=1&qty=25

I already bought about 20 sets, trying not to go overboard and considering all the tips and love I've gotten on the forum, I felt obligated to share the bounty. I think they have about 25 sets left.

I am not affiliated in any way with this company/seller. I did buy a couple of these around the first of the year and have not had any failure in the 6 or so lights I have right now (about six months history) - beyond that I can't vouch for them. The auto on/off is extremely annoying if you try using them for "normal" lighting, unless you use a fan (ceiling fan also works for us) or it's in a room/area where you need that feature (garage/closet/etc.).

I hope this helps all you tight wads like me CHEERS! Fig Family!
    South Arkansas - Zone 8a

If someone wants them and amazon runs out, I saw lights similar to those at Ollie's Outlet for around the same price but I don't know how many lumens they were.
    South Jersey, zone 7a- 20 mins from Philly, 30 mins from AC

Comment

Got some. Now let’s see if it can ripen my CC!
      Ramil. West Seattle, 8b
      Current Fig List
      Wishing for: Moro de Caneva

Comment

Wow really good deal, thanks. I needed one of these for the garage
        MJ
        Chicago Zone 5
        Figbid Listings Varieties List

Comment

I would be concerned with the spectrum white led provides. I think it is low in UV and IR spectrum light. Grow lights being expensive is not a scam. They cover a larger spectrum and are more expensive to produce. These white led lights are for producing human visible light. Plants use light we don’t even perceive.
          Volcano, 7a VA

Comment

• Heavy2600
            Heavy2600 commented
            Editing a comment
            If Richard were here we’d get a Treatise on lights.

• great08
            great08 commented
            Editing a comment
            While what you said is true about grow oriented LED lights...

the other side of the coin is...

general LEDs have a much better spectrum for growing than old fluorescent grow lights used to.... AND they don't have to be replaced yearly in order to maintain their already better grow spectrum.

That being said... getting into PAR and such is a deep deep rabbit hole.

Found one of his gems

“Lumens are a measure of human perception of brightness and based on the power density of the green spectrum -- which plants largely ignore. The only reason lumens are listed is due to an outdated U.S. architectural code for labels on all bulbs.

Plants don't have eyes. They are concerned with color temperature and power (wattage). For figs and many plants a 6400-6500K color temperature bulb is your best choice. I use them throughout my home. The cost is the same as the same size bulb with a different color temperature.”
          Last edited by Richard; 02-12-2019, 11:19 PM
          Volcano, 7a VA

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy2600 View Post
            I would be concerned with the spectrum white led provides. I think it is low in UV and IR spectrum light. Grow lights being expensive is not a scam. They cover a larger spectrum and are more expensive to produce. These white led lights are for producing human visible light. Plants use light we don’t even perceive.
            Originally posted by Heavy2600 View Post
            Found one of his gems
            “Lumens are a measure of human perception of brightness and based on the power density of the green spectrum -- which plants largely ignore. The only reason lumens are listed is due to an outdated U.S. architectural code for labels on all bulbs.
            Plants don't have eyes. They are concerned with color temperature and power (wattage). For figs and many plants a 6400-6500K color temperature bulb is your best choice. I use them throughout my home. The cost is the same as the same size bulb with a different color temperature.”
            Last edited by Richard; 02-12-2019, 11:19 PM
            Actually he became a convert to White LEDs after he realized that the science had disproved some of his assumptions he actually tested PAR output of his Fluorescent T5's again LEDs,
            they performed poorly... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...KgI/edit#gid=0

White LEDs produce all their Light output in the Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR) Spectrum... 6000K LEDs have a 'High" Blue Wavelength Percentage but can be used similar to the 5000K LED Spectrum.
            Lumens and LUX can be easily converted into PAR measurements of PPF and PPFD respectively.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
            Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Knew AscPete would show up! Agreed for a high quality white led grow light. But how does a cheapo as seen on tv garage light test?
              Volcano, 7a VA

Comment

• Heavy2600
                Heavy2600 commented
                Editing a comment
                Always enjoyed you and Richard playing Pong.

• AscPete
                AscPete commented
                Editing a comment
                Heavy2600 ,

Anyone can measure the actual intensity with a LUX Meter or even a relatively accurate PAR Meter Phone APP... https://youtu.be/t0umUgrS_UE?t=5

Sounds interesting. Do you know? Is 200w the actual wattage?

Have you tried turning the light on, off, on in rapid succession to try to override the motion detection? Some motion detectors disable that way if they don’t have a switch. I know…doesn’t really help if the lights are on a timer.

The in stock number doesn’t seem to mean anything. There are still 25 in stock.
              Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

Although I'm also somewhat skeptical about the Labeled Output (20,000 Lumens each @ 200 Watts input) and the use of this Motion Sensor Light as a Plant Grow Light.
                There is no doubt that a 6000K White LED light source can be used as an effective Plant Grow Light...
                The Labeled efficiency is only 100 Lm/Watt, ~ 1.4 PPF/J (PPF/W) which makes it more efficient than High Output T5 Fluorescent (0.9 - 1.0 PPF/W), but less efficient than current > 2.5 PPF/W (>170 Lm/W) White LED Commercial Grow Lights...
                Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

I looked at a different brand of these same lights but from Costco for my garage. I did not buy them because some of the reviews reported them to get very hot. Hope these will work for you.
                  John, Z6a, Western CT. Just to have some fun growing stuff and maybe enjoy a few figs along the way.

Comment

They will work fine for grow lights, but it seems they are now out of stock.
                    South Arkansas - Zone 8a

Comment

So these things are pretty bright but seem to run at less than half the specs. Still quite a bit of light for $5 each.

They pull around 70 watts and seem to be about as bright as 7-8 60w Great Value LEDs rated at 800 lumen with the globes removed. 22k-25k Lux measured at 10.75”. Removing the LED covers gets you about another 10-15% light but you’d have to find a way to secure the LED panel as the cover holds it in place.

Theoretically, If you jumper pin 2 and 3 on the motion sensor, that will switch it to continuous operation. They are in the center of the circuit board. An old hard drive jumper would work well here theoretically.

Of course, I don’t recommend modifying the device as that could be hazardous.

They do also appear to be in the advertised daylight spectrum from what I can see.

Click image for larger version  Name:	58C656FF-D8B4-47D9-AF49-CAC13FE56379.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	123.4 KB ID:	1042801
                      Attached Files
                      Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

• don_sanders
                        don_sanders commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It is convenient to need 3-4 less sockets which might help a little bit in the cost comparison as well.

Oh, and the temp seems to stabilize around 140F on the heat sinks in a 74F room which is a little less than the GV bulbs. I’m sure this varies a lot depending on the environment/application.

• Noah Mercy
                        Noah Mercy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Excellent post, Don. Thanks for checking these out - I was planning on posting a bit more info but you beat me to it. How'd you figure out the jumpers?

• AscPete
                        AscPete commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The comparison to 4 - 15 Watt LEDs was in jest...
                        But with the added cost of a 4 in 1 Socket Splitter (~ $10.00) it provides flexibility, the ability to change / replace bulbs (available locally), change spectrum and even add an inexpensive dimmer ($10.00)...

Hi guys ! Mayday ! Mayday !
                      Led Lights / Garage Lamps arrived today. There is no brand name on it, no document on the item, no CSA(Canada Safety Associatin) approved tag, stamp or sign,
                      or (US Safety Association) approved on the item.
                      This is all documentation that I found in the box
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	16312419748333983966456665563229.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	1050995
                      I am just wondering did I get the correct Led Lights ?!

Looking for De La Gloria.Your best teacher is your last mistake !

Comment

• Noah Mercy
                        Noah Mercy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Can you post of picture of what you got? That looks like the instructions, but there is no switch to turn off the motion sensor. Don suggested a method disabling it (above) - or place it near a fan and it will stay on also. And I only got half of my order (they changed the packaging from a double box to a single) - so I called and got half of the charges removed.

Thank for your response Noah Mercy !
                      Here is a picture of what I received
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	20210910_085143.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	1051238

Comment

• Noah Mercy
                        Noah Mercy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's it. Did you try them yet? Don't stare at the light

Yes, I tried it in basement WOW that is bright❗
                      I didn't know it's motion activated !
                      Is it possible to control it ?

Comment

I ordered these, and it says you can turn of the motion active but that doesn't look like its possible without modifications which never recommended, especially with cheap electronics.
                        MJ
                        Chicago Zone 5
                        Figbid Listings Varieties List

Comment

• Noah Mercy
                          Noah Mercy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes. I think the error in description/instructions (i.e. not being able to turn off the motion sensor) is the reason they marked the price down to clear them out.
                      Working...
                      X