X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini-Airlayers

Collected this mini-airlayers yesterday from tiny branches hope it works.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    Alex ,Brooklyn N.Y.A seed grows with no sound, but a tree falls with huge noise. Destruction has noise, but creation is quiet. This is the power of silence. Grow silently. Confucius

if theres roots its going to work, you may have to sacrifice the figs though
    Ike
    bergen county NJ 6b
    Wish list: oh lets face it Ill take any variety I dont have!!

Comment

I removed all the figs and trimmed some leaves!
      Alex ,Brooklyn N.Y.A seed grows with no sound, but a tree falls with huge noise. Destruction has noise, but creation is quiet. This is the power of silence. Grow silently. Confucius

Comment

then you are good my friend. The root ball in the picture looks like plenty
        Ike
        bergen county NJ 6b

Comment

Here is another one ,in this one I left all the leaves and fruit. Yesterday was airlayer day for me.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

dude, that root ball is excellent. You are golden . I think you would have to actively ingore/overwater them to kill those root balls
            Ike
            bergen county NJ 6b

Comment

Do you remember what day you started the air layering? Just curious how long it takes.
              Teresa Waynesboro Virginia zone 6b/7a

Comment

• Lynx
                Lynx commented
                Editing a comment
                It generally takes 4 to 5 weeks. In this case, it seems longer than that.

• NotoriousFIG
                NotoriousFIG commented
                Editing a comment
                I've only done a handful. I took a couple at 3 weeks, mistakenly thinking it was 4. They did fine. I had 3 others taken at 4, two did fine, but one didn't make it.But from the looks of the one that didn't make it, it didn't look so great. I took it anyway and learned to leave some longer. So, I'm happy to take at 4-5 weeks. I use the clear balls, and you see roots at around 2-2.5 weeks. You can see the progress after that very nicely.

• Strell
                Strell commented
                Editing a comment
                I did them July 21 and 24 some were ready in 3 weeks .

This airlayers are from grafts that I made this is the best way for me to propagate I don't lose time trying to root anymore (terrible at rooting cuttings) here are some more!
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

• ChickenShock
                ChickenShock commented
                Editing a comment
                What kind of graft did you start with?

• "#8.1
                ChickenShock commented
                Today, 03:07 PM
                What kind of graft did you start with? " I mostly do cleft and whip and tongue grafts.I'm not an expert been doing it for 9 months now.

Comment

Can you show the device you used to make the airlayers and let us know the source? Thanks.
                Steve
                D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

This are the clear ones https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Comment

Also did with plastic bag.

Comment

Excellent root formation. I’ve had citrus survive with a fraction of those roots. I just air- layered a VDB right now using a ziplock and foil. Did you use any rooting hormone?

Comment

• Strell
                      Strell commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes I used in most of them and forgot in some of them ,Burgan Unk,CDDC ,CLBC ,Exquisito and Holy Smokes were the fasted rooters putting an enormous amount of roots in around 25 days . I used this hormone https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks

Comment

• Strell
                      Strell commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You're welcome!

Strell Nice results. I also graft instead of trying to root the sticks. Or, I remove the bottom one or two buds off a cutting for grafts and try to root the rest. One thing I do when I set the AL on the branch once the graft has grown is to set it one or two nodes away from the mother tree. This way, I end up with the AL new tree and the bottom section has a chance to grow again as part of a frankenfig tree.
                    Peter - San Diego 10a. Santa Rosa 9b, 10b. WL: Angelito, BFF, Osborne Prolific, Zaffiro, Tia Penya, and Figoin. Better to give than to receive

Comment

• Strell
                      Strell commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I do the same thing,thanks!

A few days after cutting the airlayers.

Comment

• PBfigs
                      PBfigs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice!

Great job!!
                    You are welcome to sent that Gegantina straight to me….
                    Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
                    W/L-Martenica Rimada, White Madeira

Comment

• Strell
                      Strell commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The 9 tiny airlayers were gifted to me but if you have patience when gegantina grows next year I would gladly do one for you!

• Bellefleurs
                      Bellefleurs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you, Strell.
                      That’s very kind of you 😊

Did you use coco cor for or some other soil medium?
                    Teresa Waynesboro Virginia zone 6b/7a

Comment

• Strell
                      Strell commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Coco coir and also use pro mix bx in some of them.
                  Working...
                  X