X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The King has finally arrived

Planted this Black Madeira KK in ground in April. Finally, it's about to ripen the first fig. It's about 10 days later than Figo Preto. I would think that it will ripen the entire crop of about 60 figs by the end of the season. I have a few tricks to try and expect it to ripen earlier next year if it survive the winter in ground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210827_172653.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	1042010

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210827_174846.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	466.3 KB
ID:	1042011
    Cleveland South - Zone 5B.

First year in ground and you got 60? Not bad.
    Zone 7B/8A Wake Forest, NC. Wish list - 1. To stop murdering fig cuttings. 2. To find the biggest, juiciest, cold hardiest, most delicious common fig in the world! (and not murder it)

Comment

That’s a good looking fig for sure.
      Tim-Zone 8a/Northport, Alabama
      WL- Calderona, Black Tuscan, Genovese Nero AF or
      any good dark figs.

Comment

Nice
        Ike
        bergen county NJ 6b
        Wish list: oh lets face it Ill take any variety I dont have!!

Comment

Experiment: Try some radiant barrier on the ground, underneath the tree, to reflect heat and light back up.
          Anthony- Fig Finder of Los Angeles

Instagram

Comment

• jake44141
            jake44141 commented
            Editing a comment
            I installed a thermal pipe under ground in March before planting the trees on the top of it. Will put up the high tunnel over the trees soon.

• Figology
            Figology commented
            Editing a comment
            The geothermal greenhouses are awesome. Check ‘em out on YouTube

• jessup42
            jessup42 commented
            Editing a comment
            Can you explain “thermal pipe”
            I know climate battery & ground air heat exchange. Thermal pipe intrigues

Do you have it in ground just for the season or will you dig it up and overwinter in a protected area over the winter? I've never attempted to grow the BM types in-ground here in zone 7a after hearing other's reports. They take too long to ripen. I grow mine in a container and give them a GH start now. That seems to be the way to go in zone 7 and colder.
          Steve
          D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
          WL: Castillon

Comment

• jake44141
            jake44141 commented
            Editing a comment
            It's in ground permanently. Hopefully, it won't die in the winter. I have buried a thermal pipe underground before planting the tree. So,, it should ripen earlier than the potted trees.

I’m so jealous, I wish I could plant my figs in ground. You’ll enjoy those BM figs when they ripen, I have Violeta which is allegedly the same fig. Had my first figs this summer and they’re definitely delicious

Comment

• jessup42
            jessup42 commented
            Editing a comment
            Why cant you, the OP is cleveland zone 5!!! Lol

• mwhight34
            mwhight34 commented
            Editing a comment
            jessup42 due to my current living situation I’m not allowed to plant anything perennial in ground😕 for now I get by with 5 gal buckets for the baby figs and 20 gal barrel SIPs for the semi-mature figs

• jessup42
            jessup42 commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh bummer. I thought the obvious. Always hard to believe the results in zone 5. Greenthumb for sure.
            20 gal pots are plenty big though!!

What is this thermal pipe mechanism you speak of? Ground air heat exchange? Climate battery?
          wnc Z7a Hominy Valley
          wish list: a world without Invasive Pests

Comment

• jake44141
            jake44141 commented
            Editing a comment
            I setup a cheap high tunnel over the garden plots in the cold months. And I buried a 125 ft corrugated pipe 20" underground. When the outside temp is 60, inside temp can be as high as 105F. The hot air is pump through the pipe and comes out at 45F degree in March. This raise the soil temperature that enables the fig to grow in early spring, at least that what I believe. The pipe was buried in March this year, and the trees were planted in April. So, next year, we will see whether it works.

Excellent fig, its my top variety so far.
          MJ
          Chicago Zone 5
          Figbid Listings Varieties List

Comment

• jake44141
            jake44141 commented
            Editing a comment
            MJ, all inspired by you from last year.

• MJA829
            MJA829 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yours in ground 😃, now I need to try this myself, maybe inside the greenhouse. Thanks
        Working...
        X