X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unk. Spain ripening in MD

This is a variety that was introduced to the community by Pete Lee. Unfortunately I can't find my notes but what I recall is that he found it growing in the NYC area (or NJ suburbs) in the yard of someone who brought it from Spain. Perhaps Pete can chime in and provide more information. I became interested in this variety due to its reputed earliness and the fact that it was growing in-ground unprotected in a climate very similar to mine. My tree was rooted in the late winter of 2020 and then planted in the ground this Spring. It started producing figs about 10 days ago. I have it growing it next to Campaniere (same age and planted in the ground at the same time) and the two trees have a lot of similarities. Really, about the only differences I can see are a very subtle difference in leaf morphology and the fact that Unk. Spain fruit has an elongated neck. The Unk. Spain figs also seem slightly larger so far. I would describe the taste as a combination honey-berry. I suspect that this will change though as it matures. The eye enlarges in response to wet weather (like we have had lately) but it doesn't seem particular prone to splitting. Overall, it's a very promising variety for my area. If anyone else is growing this one please chime in as there isn't a lot of information out there on it.
    Attached Files
    Steve
    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
    WL: Castillon

Looks good Steve.
    Z7b Kent Island Md.
    Wish list, Figoin, and Crozes.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...6qZktUx_4/edit

Comment

Hey that’s awesome Steve. I failed the cuttings Pete gave me my first year. I thought this one was a honey fig, cool to see it’s something different. I’ve been waiting for somebody to post about it.
      Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
      Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Comment

How is it doing this season?
        Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
        Wishlist- earliest maincrop varieties

Comment

That is impressive if the eye is that open and no splitting. It must be a good productive one to have in the NE since they kept it around in NY. I told myself no more adding to what I have decided to keep around, but if I get rid of one or two more this year I might keep a lookout for this one. I’m going all in ground here in NJ with the exception of the 3 potted varieties I have decided are worth the work.

Comment

Working...
          X