X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really,really,really want to ripen this 2 figs.

This are the only 2 figs in this 2 branches (grafted)I really want to ripen this figs ,they are swollen and is going to be raining a lot tomorrow here in NYC ,I covered the pot with 4 plastic bags 10 minutes ago and put an additional one on top of the fruit ,will this prevent the splitting of the figs​ ?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Alex ,Brooklyn N.Y.A seed grows with no sound, but a tree falls with huge noise. Destruction has noise, but creation is quiet. This is the power of silence. Grow silently. Confucius

How big is that fig tree 🤔
    Looking for De La Gloria.Your best teacher is your last mistake !

Comment

• Strell
      Strell commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a mature Tauro that a friend lent to me for the purpose of grafting ,yesterday I cut one airlayer and the remaining ones are about 45,30,and 20 inches long .

• moonlight
      moonlight commented
      Editing a comment
      Wouldn't large beach umbrella work better ?

• Strell
      Strell commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL ,Rain start today at 5 am ,don't have an umbrella!

Who cares about 1st year figs. Let it get to a state where you can't pick them fast enough and you're drowning in them. All fruit trees need an investment period. I pinch all first year figs except two to confirm variety, not nevessarily to eat. 10 or 20 figs won't satisfy anything. It sucks to hear that, but a fig tree can only produce so fast. They need time (years) too. It's not worth chasing them. Wait on it and let them come to you, in a year or 2.
    GA, 7b

Comment

• Strell
      Strell commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing is certain in life and since I already have the 2 figs why not try to save them from splitting? I see growers here posting a pic of their first fig after a 2 or 3 year wait ,and in my case I'm very passionate about this new hobby ,I try to learn and that's why I ask questions .So I do care.And in this case I want to know how long it takes for this particular variety to ripen in this region.
      Last edited by Strell; 08-28-2021, 12:23 AM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210819_181123.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	556.0 KB
ID:	1042327This is the tallest branch.
    Alex ,Brooklyn N.Y.A seed grows with no sound, but a tree falls with huge noise. Destruction has noise, but creation is quiet. This is the power of silence. Grow silently. Confucius

Comment

Yes, you need to close the pot, just in case. But the whole plant does not have to be closed if the variety has a closed eye ostiole or it does not have a tendency to sour. Not all varieties of figs burst after heavy rain. Everyone swells strongly, but many have reserves to compensate for the internal pressure.
      Андрей. N.-W. Кавказ, пень Абрау, 7б-8а

Comment

Move it into the garage, porch, or inside?

I’d be worried about covering the fruit with a bag.
        Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

• Strell
          Strell commented
          Editing a comment
          The bag is not in contact with the fruits just covering them.

Attached Files
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

The other branch has chicken wire protecting the fruit so the bag is not touching the fruit!

Comment

Working...
          X