X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madeleine des Deux Saisons, Burnt Ridge Nursery, WA

It seems this is one that has an issue of being mislabeled depending on where you get it. Mine came from Burnt Ridge Nursery as cuttings in 2019. I have 2 nice trees growing. The bigger of the two put out a couple breba but they dropped. It’s also been very productive for main crop but they have mostly aborted as well. There were two that held from the first flush, and I wasn’t sure if this one was ripe or not as it wasn’t really hanging down and still seemed a bit firm.

What a surprise to find a very dense, very sweet fig. I don’t know if this is a Longue D’aout variant or a mislabel. Either way it’s an excellent fig. It actually tastes a lot like the CDDbn I just posted yesterday. Very sweet, strawberry candy flavor. Thick skin, which I assume lends itself to holding on the tree so long and not really hanging down. If any variety I had was going to split it’d be this one. There’s a slight hole in the soaker line on this pot so it gets more water than everything else on that line, and it didn’t even have any cracking in the skin.

I would love to find out what this truly is, as I’m not 100% sure it’s a true MdDS, but it’s an awesome fig.
    Attached Files
    Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
    Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

I hate to say all these vendors are screwing up the hobby, but these vendors ARE screwing up the entire hobby.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200915_131555.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	1042618 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200909_131910.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	1042619 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200915_131827.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	1042620

Comment

• TNJed
      TNJed commented
      Editing a comment
      Mike do you think yours is the true MdDS?

• Garlic_Mike
      Garlic_Mike commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually, yes. Pictures\description matches several others out there and was sourced from a collector in France. I would say definitely more than whatever Sod has.

• Sod
      Sod commented
      Editing a comment
      I think so too. I have no idea what I have. I think whatever it is, it must be related to LdA, if not identical. If I could keep the squirrels away from my LdA I could maybe get to compare them.

I will say the fruits on my LdA seem to be larger.

Sod, could you show the leaves from yours? I'll do the same a little later.
    Steve
    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
    WL: Castillon

Comment

Here are the leaves from my two year old MdDS tree that originated from Raintree nursery.
      Attached Files
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Castillon

Comment

Rewton here’s the typical leaf on mine. I assume it’s related to LdA based on leaves and fruit shape.

Garlic_Mike would you say Steve’s leaves match yours?
        Attached Files
        Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
        Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Comment

• Rewton
          Rewton commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, that does seem different than my MdDS. One thing that I find unique about mine is that it really wants to grow vertically with the branches reaching for the sky.

• TheBigFatFig
          TheBigFatFig commented
          Editing a comment
          Pellegrino is similar to LDA according to what I've read. The leaves in this listing seem to match

https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Detai...grino-Fig-Tree

• TheBigFatFig
          TheBigFatFig commented
          Editing a comment
          Another I thought maybe those someone believed was possibly a 'Brunswick' ... the color of the fig seems to match the fruit in the OP.

Also possibly one of the figs passed on with the name 'Dalmatie' they vary as much as puppies apparently

Got Burnt.
        South Arkansas - Zone 8a

Comment

Working...
        X