X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ondata vs Bl Manzanita: two large black figs I like

Both first yr trees in 25 gal fabric bags. I like both figs: big, sweet, precocious, and productive. For reference the tags with names are 4.5 inches long.
    Attached Files
    Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
    http://growingfruit.org/

Those look Delicious!!! Im going fig crazy looking at all the fig post on here.
    Wishlist: col de dame Rimada, LSU Strawberry, Bass's Verdone, Moro di Caneva, VERDOLINO, zaffiro. Figoin

Comment

They are both very good. At least 8 of 10. That's very good for first yr trees that have until recently been heavily watered to maximize growth. I had some really good Ondata last fall from a small tree. It has my full attention.
      Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
      http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

I so wish that I had the restraint to not pick my figs until they look like those lol

Comment

• fruitnut
          fruitnut commented
          Editing a comment
          Ya put them on a diet: limit that water

The master does it again!
        Forest Hill, Texas: Zone 8a

No wish list but open to trades and offers

Comment

Steve - any comparison of Black Manza with Galicia Negra ? I wont get figs from Manza this year but the Galicia Negra I got from you last year ripened some absolute beauties and I am expecting it to do much better next year.
          Dallas,TX - Zone 8a - Follow me @thefarmingtales on Insta.
          WL - Angelito, El Sueno Yellow, Yellow Absheron, Fico Giallo, Tia Penya, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Cessac, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

• fruitnut
            fruitnut commented
            Editing a comment
            I think Black Man is GN on steroids.

• Achilles
            Achilles commented
            Editing a comment
            Could not agree more. I have yet to find a tree that fruits and grows like Black Manz.

Steve, which fig is sweeter?
          I don’t have Ondata but I do have Black Manzanita.
          The Black manzanita has grown aggressively and has set a bunch of figs. Two should be ready tomorrow.
          Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
          W/L- Allix, Cateto

Comment

• fruitnut
            fruitnut commented
            Editing a comment
            I just ate the second fig of each for breakfast. I'd say both are equally sweet. These really are very sweet for such large figs. I like both equally well at this point. I do think Ondata is prettier but that could change under differing conditions.

• Bellefleurs
            Bellefleurs commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for this comparison.

Both look great. The great thing with figs is that you don't have to choose, you can have both. I can see my future coming into view.
          Ed- Southern Utah 8b - Wish List: Anything that is very tasty, that is common and I don't have.

Comment

I just picked two from my tree.
            Yes, I know that I should have left them on the tree for a few days longer BUT I’m dealing with a serious fig swiping predator AND it’s raining every day.
            I cut into one and I’m going to allow the other fig to sit on the counter for a day or two.
            Despite tasting watered down from all the rain, the fig was very sweet.
            Attached Files
            Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
            W/L- Allix, Cateto

Comment

They look great!
              Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

Working...
              X