X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First ripe fig!

I rooted my first cutting in November 2020 and this is my first year growing figs... I actually had not eaten a fig in years but remember the taste from when I was a kid

Long story short, I have around 15 fig trees at various stages of development! 2 are Dave Wilson trees, most of them are from rooting cuttings, a few air layers I am using as rootstock and 4 trees gifted to me by adipose .

This one is my first truly ripe fig.

I collected some fruit earlier from different tree but it wasn't any good (unripe or fallen breba, etc...)

The tree is called La houd, it was described as a "green libanese fig from bass" but the skin is not green so this might be something else. In any case the fruit was delicious and pushes me to grow and collect more fig varieties The addiction is on!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210826_104700.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	778.3 KB
ID:	1043038 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210826_104735.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	582.4 KB
ID:	1043039

I have been able to root cuttings and grow healthy ​​​​​​​trees thanks to all the help from this community, so thanks again!
    -- Zone 10a
    Documenting my fig addiction here

Congratulations!
    May it be a first of many!
    Almaguin Highlands, Canada. Zone 4a/3b. WL: Ronde de Bordeaux, Florea, Hollier, Dauphine, Gisotta nero, Verdolino, Malta Black, Violet Sepor .Any early finishers would help, just starting out, not picky. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication~Da Vinci

Comment

That looks tasty!
      those speckles are cool
      Round Rock, TX 8b
      WL: Delicious figs

Comment

Nice, the first one is great but just the first first. I had 3 new figs for me today, Improved Celeste O'Rourke Not (AKA ICON), a ripe Little Miss Figgy and a LSU Scott's Black. I started 7 years ago. So hopefully you too will have new figs every year for a while!

Comment

That's great!

Congrats to you and good luck controlling the addiction! lol
          Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

Definitely exciting happy for you.
            Forest Hill, Texas: Zone 8a

No wish list but open to trades and offers

Comment

THats awesome to hear. I remember my first fig. A celeste that was gifted to me.
              Ike
              bergen county NJ 6b
              Wish list: oh lets face it Ill take any variety I dont have!!

Comment

Happy day! Congrats. It only gets better from here…
                Mike
                Cobb County GA, 7b
                Wishlist: Bornholm/Nexöe, Cavaliere

Comment

Great color from a first fig from a 1st year tree.
                  Ed- Southern Utah 8b - Wish List: Anything that is very tasty, that is common and I don't have.

Comment

Thanks for all the encouraging replies!
                    -- Zone 10a
                    Documenting my fig addiction here

Comment

Originally posted by peppercuts View Post
                      I rooted my first cutting in November 2020 and this is my first year growing figs... I actually had not eaten a fig in years but remember the taste from when I was a kid

Long story short, I have around 15 fig trees at various stages of development! 2 are Dave Wilson trees, most of them are from rooting cuttings, a few air layers I am using as rootstock and 4 trees gifted to me by adipose .

This one is my first truly ripe fig.

I collected some fruit earlier from different tree but it wasn't any good (unripe or fallen breba, etc...)

The tree is called La houd, it was described as a "green libanese fig from bass" but the skin is not green so this might be something else. In any case the fruit was delicious and pushes me to grow and collect more fig varieties The addiction is on!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210826_104700.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	778.3 KB
ID:	1043038 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210826_104735.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	582.4 KB
ID:	1043039

I have been able to root cuttings and grow healthy ​​​​​​​trees thanks to all the help from this community, so thanks again!
                      Bought from Bass in 2016, he called it: Fig tree "Lahood" Rare Lebanese Large Green Skin.

Nothing about it on his website anymore so you'd have to ask him what it was or if he renamed the variety.

Comment

• peppercuts
                        peppercuts commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks adipose, i contacted bass last year and he gave me the same information.

It wasn't a great fig so i am using the plant as a multi varieties rootstock for ajh, de la Roca, rasp latte and black Tuscan.

I didn't know you hadn't had figs from any of your trees - I would of mailed you some figs!

Glad to hear you were happy with your first fig (since you started collecting) - it would be a little bit of a let down if your first one was bland.
                      California - Zone 9b

Comment

• peppercuts
                        peppercuts commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh yeah, this was from last year, then it all started ripening. Can't complain 😁
                    Working...
                    X