X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Possible ?

First and foremost - I apologize upfront for posting this as I thought long and hard about this. I am not trying to blame anyone but trying to find out if this is even possible. I have not had a ton of caprified figs from California , so may be there are crazy combinations of flavors.

I saw this listing on figbid about a guava berry fig with guava, mango and strawberry flavours.

Further, the seller describes this as "Foreground notes of guava, strawberry, mango and hints of floral hibiscus".

With my very limited knowledge and tasting experience, I can't even imagine this being possible.

sacredorigin can you please share more info on this fig.
    Dallas,TX - Zone 8a - Follow me @thefarmingtales on Insta.
    WL - Angelito, El Sueno Yellow, Yellow Absheron, Fico Giallo, Tia Penya, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Cessac, Boysenberry Blush

I’m also finding this a bit hard to believe. My first instinct would be to dismiss it as nothing more than a marketing tactic but I’m going to withhold judgement. Maybe people really can taste all these flavors🤷🏻‍♂️Maybe they can weigh in

Comment

• mwhight34
      mwhight34 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you sacredorigin for your clarification below. I’ve always been very skeptical about all the flavors wine tasters, and in recent years fig tasters, claim to detect. It never occurred to me to think of them as detectable chemical compounds

I got a fig too with hints of marmalade, honey, cherry, salmon, pork, and a pinch of thyme.
    500 a stick
    Ike
    bergen county NJ 6b
    Wish list: oh lets face it Ill take any variety I dont have!!

Comment

• Halligan-
      Halligan- commented
      Editing a comment
      Trade you!!
      I have one that taste like mint chocolate Ice cream

• Harish-C
      Harish-C commented
      Editing a comment
      I would have taken a couple if it also had a hint of hot habanero chili peppers. Oh well!

• moonlight
      moonlight commented
      Editing a comment
      🤣🤣🤣

Lol.
    [Figs] -- Eastern Missouri -- Zone 6

Comment

Yes, it's possible when caprified but probably won't for many of us outside of Fig Wasp and Capri Fig territory.

The different parts of the fig Syconium, "flesh, pith, seeds and skin" can (and will) often develop different flavors when fully ripened and or caprified.
      One example if Violet de Bordeaux (VdB) which will have distinct flavors for flesh, pith, seeds and skin when fully ripened, even un-caprified.
      Also, IMO the Pith of unripe figs taste like Watermelon Rind...
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
      Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• ginamcd
        ginamcd commented
        Editing a comment
        And the fig in the photos in the listing is definitely caprified.

If it looks like hype, sounds like hype, it will probably taste like hype.
      Round Rock, TX 8b
      WL: Delicious figs

Comment

Originally posted by swethakyadav View Post
        First and foremost - I apologize upfront for posting this as I thought long and hard about this. I am not trying to blame anyone but trying to find out if this is even possible. I have not had a ton of caprified figs from California , so may be there are crazy combinations of flavors.

I saw this listing on figbid about a guava berry fig with guava, mango and strawberry flavours.

Further, the seller describes this as "Foreground notes of guava, strawberry, mango and hints of floral hibiscus".

With my very limited knowledge and tasting experience, I can't even imagine this being possible.

sacredorigin can you please share more info on this fig.
        Does the fig smell like quava 🧐, Love guavas aroma, Haa reminds my of my grandparents!
        Mario
        Texas 9A

Comment

Treading lightly I see. I saw the last heated figbid post get closed 😂
          Anthony- Fig Finder of Los Angeles

Instagram

Comment

This IS such thing called taste disturbance syndrome.
            Richmond, BC, Canada Zone 8A
            WL: List Completed. What do you recommend?

Comment

There are reports of figs tasting of pineapples + cherries. There are reports of strawberries + cinnamon. Pineapple +other fruits. Blackberries + __. It wouldn't be so crazy to have this combination. Time will tell.

Comment

I wish I could acquire some of sacredorigin collection, I have seen them in figbid and they do look so desirable but just can’t afford them , maybe I can get a couple in the fall at a much lower price from a friend or
                trade. Honestly as for the taste well we all have different taste buds and we all live in different areas so it will for sure be different for all of us . I will say that all the fig explores in our forum regardless if they tend to sell or pass to friends around the states still have my applause 👏 because without them we would be stuck with only a handful
                of figs. So thank you all for going treasure hunting for all of us outside the wasp area and haaa you can keep naming those fig what your family friends desire 😀 ..Might have to make a list of how many she has out there already and I can scratch honey plum out the list 😂😂. I got this one . Probably need like another 20 to go 😀. But that’s what makes our hobby addicted and also wanting to taste different figs and with all this we get a bunch of friend that we might never see but still feel like we have known them forever!!

Mario
                tx 9a
                Mario
                Texas 9A

Comment

Fig flavors thus confirmed, many yet to be tasted by others.

Honeyplum- plum and blueberry flavors have been reported by many. uncaprified

Gambino- described by oscar sanchez as plantain and coats the tongue uncaprified

Rodgrod- Tenn. Gold Leaf "as described" except in uncaprified state longer neck.....and mentioned as one of the most underated figs in the community.

Watermelon- described by oscar sanchez as having watermelon flavor and in uncaprified state has longer neck and much larger. my local taste testers confirm this too.

Creme di Fragola- described by figman in CT and his taste testers as having strawberry pie flavor and in riper figs "a hint of cinnamon". exactly as ive described.

Kiwi- exactly as described, like green sweet tart kiwi.

guavaberry and amrita will be sent for tasting to Nancy figs and tropicals soon.

Im pretty confidant about my ability to taste the subtle and more pronounced flavors. Tasting figs is like tasting wine, the flavors touch different parts of the palette and side of tongue and spark the taste buds reminicent of various essences of fruits, flowers and such. Many figs are figgy and i often dont put them out on the market because i like interesting complex fruity and highly aromatic flavors. How these flavors perform outside of wasp country can be unknown factor. Thus far, as above, the flavor profiles are translating outside of the wasp zones. Is this the norm? Its hard to say. Genetics are complex.

Rodgrod btw was described by a Danish Chef. he tasted bergamont and fruit flavor, like raspberry fruit tart pudding thus the suggested the name Rodgrod for the danish dessert.

I hope that other figs get to be tasted soon and confirmed by others.Till then, there is bound to be speculation and talk which is understandable.

As for smell of figs... they all smell the same to me. Taste is my specialty. In my experience, some people have more sophisticated abilities to taste or smell foods and drinks... it might be genetic. My mother for example has simple tastes, far from sophisticated and she has no ability to differentiate. ( she also doesnt mind instant coffee, lol . I am a coffee snob.) I dont ask her for her opinion on figs.

Did you know that the ability to smell asparagus in the pee of someone who just ate it...is genetic? Some people cant smell it.. Can you?!

For reference wine tasting is a pretty sophisticated skill. Look at all the flavors in wines in the picture wheel. Is it much different in figs? I suppose for someone who has not been exposed to these flavors, it would seem far fetched. Tasting wine and tasting figs similar if you ask me.

I hope this helps. I dont post on here very often any more due to the drama and immature behavior of various members. I wish you all the best and I look forward to reviews of Sacred Origin figs in the near future.

Picture of Amrita a very complex large berry fig that i love!

Attached Files

Comment

• Newbie2figs
                    Newbie2figs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Loved the write up👍, so do you have a list of your collection? Would be cool to see how many I have to acquire🧐, and thank you for your reply and explanation above.
                    Mario
                    Tx9a
                    Last edited by Newbie2figs; 08-29-2021, 06:52 PM.

• AscPete
                    AscPete commented
                    Editing a comment
                    sacredorigin ,
                    Some ripe fig cultivars definitely have distinct aromas. The strongest I've smelled so far is similar to Honeydew Melon from Brooklyn White main crop, when the figs are ripe the aroma completely surrounds the tree.

• WVMJack
                    WVMJack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You might want to release your figgiest tasting fig, pure figgy taste without a bunch of competing flavors.

Compounds found in fruits, plants and wines.....and their flavors.Click image for larger version

Name:	Chemical-compounds-produced-by-different-strains-of-Brettanomyces-bruxellensis-and-the.png
Views:	230
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	1043377

Comment

• figs and tropicals
                    figs and tropicals commented
                    Editing a comment
                    WOW....very interesting table and this explains chemically what it takes to produce what flavors.

• RosyPosy
                    RosyPosy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree, this is a cool list. I think people forget the different terpenes and compounds that exist in plants that affect flavors and smells. Not everyone picks up nuances, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist and that there aren’t others who can detect them. It’s one of the things noted in cannabis that gives different medicinal qualities based on the different terpenes in a given strain. The examples you gave of wine & coffee are perfect, and also apply to teas, chocolate & other foods as well. There are people out there who could eat an orange, tangerine, and blood orange side by side and wouldn’t know they were different if they couldn’t see them.
                    Last edited by RosyPosy; 08-29-2021, 08:16 PM.

• ShawnaC
                    ShawnaC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is really interesting. Thanks for sharing it!

sacredorigin thank you for the write up.
                  Dallas,TX - Zone 8a - Follow me @thefarmingtales on Insta.
                  WL - Angelito, El Sueno Yellow, Yellow Absheron, Fico Giallo, Tia Penya, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Cessac, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Newbie2figs Lee Ann always has some listings on figbid...or you can pm her about what is available at the time. She sells cuttings and some trees.
                    Pm me for the list of trees available for sale.
                    Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

• Newbie2figs
                      Newbie2figs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Okay! Appreciate the response and the help!

I'm going to dash some hopes and dreams so I'll apologize in advance. Figs don't taste like bubblegum, or mango, or guava or any type of pudding. They don't taste like cherry pie. I just had a slice of cherry pie with a cup of decaf coffee and it didn't remind me of a fig.

These varieties are caprified and no doubt they taste better than they would in a zone without the wasp. But if you need refined tastes to identify the subtle hints of fruit flavors, than anyone can make these arbitrary claims and descriptions. The unique names are given to these figs to hype them to the unsuspecting suckers....ehhh....sorry, I meant to say masses, and demand a higher price.

Figs don't need to be hyped by their name. Bass's Favorite Fig (BFF) is a simple name and an enthusiast in a cold and waspless zone put his name behind it. A lot of folks have had positive reviews of BFF and the hype is in the taste, not the "unique" name. Same with a lot of his other finds and the sales practices are polar opposites. When Bass tells you a fig is good, I tend to believe it because he doesn't have to give a unique name to hype it.....Black Bethlehem.....simple, early, tasty, quality fig for a waspless zone. Same with RLBV. Same with Smith. Same with many other varieties whose hype is based on their universally established reputation for taste, early fruiting, and split resistance.

Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania / Zone 6b

Comment

• BlueEagle1967
                      BlueEagle1967 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wunga I completely agree. Now tell me when Harvey or anyone else told you a fig tasted like bubblegum. Or pudding. It has nothing to do with taste. It has everything to do with hype.

• Wunga
                      Wunga commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Could it be hype? Sure. Could it be true? Noone will know until it is widely tested. Not many people grow these varieties so the fact that noone can verify a bubblegum flavor isn't proof thats it's all lies, yet. As I said before time will tell.

• RosyPosy
                      RosyPosy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Pudding— I can’t say if that’s possible. I’ve never had dutch pudding, so even in tasting the fig, I won’t know if it tastes like that. But as long as it tastes good, it won’t bother me if it’s not exactly like pudding. Pudding is also used in some cultures to just refer to dessert, so it may be a mistake to think of American style Jello pudding mix type pudding in that description.

But bubble gum I can argue for, and here’s why:
                      What is pink bubble gum or cotton candy flavor? Isn’t is basically “sugar” with a hint of some sort of unidentifiable fruitiness? There is a whole class of “sugar” figs, that basically taste of sugar or sweetness with some sort of slight fruity flavor. Voila— you now have pink bubble gum or cotton candy figs. Add in a nice pink color and you now have a fitting name. At least that’s how I figure it. So, I will say that one is possible without having tasted it yet.

well, I can say that I'm growing and have tasted figs that taste like cherry, strawberry, blackberry, apricot, melon, peach, fruit punch...and fig. I have all of these flavors growing in my yard right now. I'm not as skeptical that there are other possibilities.
                    Pm me for the list of trees available for sale.
                    Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

I forgot to mention my fig for 500 has a very special RARE attribute. 30 min after you eat it you Fart glitter and fig wasps. So if you want to establish a wasp I. Your area eat one and make sure you have no pants on 30 min later.
                      Ike
                      bergen county NJ 6b
                      Wish list: oh lets face it Ill take any variety I dont have!!

Comment

• figs and tropicals
                        Editing a comment
                        now that is hard to believe.... what lee ann posts is not hard to believe, for me.

• TNJed
                        TNJed commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Put me down for 2.

I don’t know if it tastes like all of the nuances mentioned, but I hope one day to find out! In my opinion, if someone says they taste certain flavors, who am I to say they don’t? Why even worry about it? I don’t have their tastebuds. No one has to buy anything they don’t want to. I don’t understand the continued complaining in this forum about what someone says they taste or what someone chooses to name a fig. They found it, they tasted it, they can do what they want with it.

I understand checking to verify if others taste similar flavors to see if it’s a variety you want to add. But other fig finders aren’t nitpicked on as much, and they “hype” the figs they sell with photos they post, tasty descriptions and end up getting high prices on figBid for what they sell. Lee Ann is a very generous seller, more than many others, and if she says she tastes guava, then she tastes guava. It is apparently possible for her. Time will tell what others taste themselves. But at least taste it before questioning or complaining about it.

I don’t see anyone putting down Monserrat Pons for the names he uses for figs, and some of them sound pretty fancy to my ears. Some of his figs are named after the stars and cosmos. He also doesn’t give much description other than “sweet” or “tasty”, which doesn’t mean very much if you’re looking for certain flavors. Are you going to go after Evdurtschi if you grow & taste his newest find, but it doesn’t taste like “cinnamon” to you and you can only taste “berry”?

It’s one thing to say something if you have actual proof a seller is less than honorable. It’s another thing to say something based on feeling just to stir drama for an individual. If you want to say something about what someone has found and sold: Buy it, grow it, taste it and then post about it. OR, don’t buy it and wait to see what others who have say about it.

I don’t even know Lee Ann personally, but I feel bad for her being picked on for selling what she has found or what she has chosen as a name. I haven’t seen anyone say she has lied or cheated them, or sold something completely worthless. I just see a lot of unnecessary drama for her that isn’t given to other fig finders that don’t do anything different than her. And I have to ask, why?

(What I’m saying here isn’t just based on the OP, but also on comments here and in other threads.)
                      ░░░SoCal░ ░ ͡ i ͡ ░ ░Zone░ ░9A░░░

W/L: La Joya, Ondata, Belvedere, Bebera Branca, Fico Giallo, Vernino, Asunta 5 Paco (DF)

Comment

• figs and tropicals
                        Editing a comment
                        yes, thanks Rosy Posy.... I'm looking forward to a shipment of figs to taste and I'll be sure to let you all know what I taste and Ill post photos...stand by for that!!

• ShawnaC
                        ShawnaC commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I agree... very well said, RosyPosy. My family has purchased a few Sacred Origin figs and have been very impressed by their patience, kindness, and generosity. We haven't tasted the figs yet, and I'm not sure how they'll do in the PNW, but they are growing well and we've been super impressed with the health and vigor of the plants/cuttings we've received.

• chanjying
                        chanjying commented
                        Editing a comment
                        💯💯💯!

It is a pity that I got my crema di mura cuttings when I was not so good at starting cuttings and killed both of them 😂 But agreed--Lee Ann is very generous and I don't get why there's this drama.

Originally posted by RosyPosy View Post
                      I don’t know if it tastes like all of the nuances mentioned, but I hope one day to find out! In my opinion, if someone says they taste certain flavors, who am I to say they don’t? Why even worry about it? I don’t have their tastebuds. No one has to buy anything they don’t want to. I don’t understand the continued complaining in this forum about what someone says they taste or what someone chooses to name a fig. They found it, they tasted it, they can do what they want with it.

I understand checking to verify if others taste similar flavors to see if it’s a variety you want to add. But other fig finders aren’t nitpicked on as much, and they “hype” the figs they sell with photos they post, tasty descriptions and end up getting high prices on figBid for what they sell. Lee Ann is a very generous seller, more than many others, and if she says she tastes guava, then she tastes guava. It is apparently possible for her. Time will tell what others taste themselves. But at least taste it before questioning or complaining about it.

I don’t see anyone putting down Monserrat Pons for the names he uses for figs, and some of them sound pretty fancy to my ears. Some of his figs are named after the stars and cosmos. He also doesn’t give much description other than “sweet” or “tasty”, which doesn’t mean very much if you’re looking for certain flavors. Are you going to go after Evdurtschi if you grow & taste his newest find, but it doesn’t taste like “cinnamon” to you and you can only taste “berry”?

It’s one thing to say something if you have actual proof a seller is less than honorable. It’s another thing to say something based on feeling just to stir drama for an individual. If you want to say something about what someone has found and sold: Buy it, grow it, taste it and then post about it. OR, don’t buy it and wait to see what others who have say about it.

I don’t even know Lee Ann personally, but I feel bad for her being picked on for selling what she has found or what she has chosen as a name. I haven’t seen anyone say she has lied or cheated them, or sold something completely worthless. I just see a lot of unnecessary drama for her that isn’t given to other fig finders that don’t do anything different than her. And I have to ask, why?

(What I’m saying here isn’t just based on the OP, but also on comments here and in other threads.)
                      I'll admit I'm outspoken on the issue. But it's not to stir drama. Every seller opens themselves up to critique on a fig message board. And I also reserve the right to inform new enthusiasts of any potential red flags.

As I've mentioned before, I have no doubt California grown figs with the wasp have a unique flavor that non-wasp zones won't find or duplicate. The same can be said for warmer climates without the wasp compared to a colder zone grown and ripened fig. But this isn't my first rodeo either. I've traveled the world and tasted food from many regions, just like many others on the board. I have yet to find a bubblegum fig. Or a pudding fig. The "unique" names are used to hype the fig rather than the fig hyping itself through trials and tests, especially outside of wasp territory. That's a fact. Can the seller do it? Certainly she can. But I can also give my opinion.

And as to your point about buying something to taste it. No thanks. I don't need to buy a fig to find out it doesn't taste like bubblegum, or guava, or some type of cobbler or pudding.

And if you think I'm being tough now, just wait until a Northeast seller tries to hype Conadria. The claws will come out.
                      Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania / Zone 6b

Comment

• RosyPosy
                        RosyPosy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I hear what you’re saying, and I don’t fault you or anyone for being doubtful. We all view things by our own experiences in life. BUT, I do have a problem with one person repeatedly being singled out, when the same exact points can be applied to others here, like: Evdurtschi, Fig Gazer, fruitgrower, the Fig Hunter, etc. I don’t see anyone faulting the name Cherry Cordial or Boysenberry Blush or Raspberry Tart. I don’t see anyone questioning those listings with nice descriptions and caprified fruit. BB has repeatedly gone for several hundred, before anyone outside of CA fruited it & posted about it. Heck, the Fig Hunter has one or two I don’t even know how to pronounce. But no one targets them, and they have the same points mentioned here for Lee Ann. Instead, I see people being quite nice to them, which also gives a certain impression, like they’re hoping for a freebie or two.

I don’t stand by unethical practices or deceit. And, I understand calling out what seems to be a red flag. But it seems as if Lee Ann is being held to something that others aren’t, and I don’t understand that. I appreciate what ALL of the people who have found new varieties have done with posting about them & sharing them. I don’t begrudge them the sales they have. They couldn’t sell them that way if people weren’t willing to buy.

And I don’t think it’s fair to put them down for living in an area with the wasp and showing their own pictures of fruit they grew. What else are they supposed to show? And I don’t think it’s fair to put them down for something they haven’t been shown to be guilty of.

Having one’s own suspicions is one thing. Saying something every time their name is brought up is another, especially if there is no evidence to support our suspicions. I think it’s better to wait and see what others have to say about a variety they actually have experience with.

• BlueEagle1967
                        BlueEagle1967 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        RosyPosy I'm not singling anyone out. I simply replied to a thread in which a question was posed regarding a Sacred Origin listing. It was a valid question. If a thread is started regarding someone else's sales or listings, I'll add my input if I have anything to add.

I don't begrudge anyone for sales and these folks add value to the community. In addition, folks who find seedlings and distribute them within the community also add value. There was another thread started a few days ago regarding a listing on FigBid as "rare" and that seller took some heat although the thread was locked before I could reply. But I agreed with the questions and premise raised in the thread. Figs like St. Rita are not "rare" and the seller took heat for describing it as such.

It's not on me to prove or disprove a seller's listing. I'm also interested to see what others have to say about some of these varieties but there's not a whole lot out there. But what I see is another seller listing these varieties with Sacred Origin's description and reselling them. Why not use your own description of the fruit? These are red flags that just keep multiplying for me.

I find it hard to believe a fig would actually taste like a mango, peach, bubble gum, guava, etc. instead of saying it actually tastes like it, why not just say it has "guava" notes instead?

It's pointless growing a fig that taste like a mango when I can go get an actual mango that tastes twice as good IMO.

NC Sandhills zone 8A. Wishlist- BNR, CDDG, and split resistant figs.

Comment

I don’t think they normally taste exactly like something else with some exceptions but…

Someone once told me that DTE has a guava like flavor to it. I didn’t taste guava in it but 🤷‍♂️

Green Michurinska has a cinnamon flavor along with the Adriatic Strawberry flavor for me this year.

Sals GS has peachy notes to me.

Honeydew melon flavor is strong in Brooklyn White.

Jam I’ve made from mixed berry figs tastes exactly like strawberry jam.

I’ve tasted some notes of cherry, honey, green pepper, watermelon, etc in my figs.

Sometimes the flavors are persistent. Sometimes just for a season. Sometimes just the first few figs of the year.

It always amazes me someone says that figs all taste exactly the same when I’m tasting the other half and they don’t taste anything alike to me.

Some people can barely even tell the difference between a honey fig and berry fig…say they taste the same. 🤯

I’m still not exactly sure what figgy tastes like. Is that the Celeste flavor?? One of my favorite flavors that I can’t place anywhere else.

Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

Wait 'til you guys hear about this thing called wine tasting! Oh boy!
                        Zone 6a/b, Cincinnati. Wishlist: Ouriola, Ondata & Tupac's Killer

Comment

• NotoriousFIG
                          NotoriousFIG commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You ever go to a wine tasting or read any wine reviews?

• BlueEagle1967
                          BlueEagle1967 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wines are influenced by man made factors. Sure, there are certain grapes that are better than others, but people fuse/produce their wine or age it in various casks or bourbon barrels or add elements to influence the taste. Certainly you're not comparing wines which are produced to fresh figs?

• NotoriousFIG
                          NotoriousFIG commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wine descriptions run the gamut as far as how they are described, from "earthy" to baked bread. We're talking about grapes here and the descriptions can get wacky. I'm comparing the wine descriptions and the poetic license that is the norm to the descriptions of these figs. The fig descriptions here are quite tame. Hence my original comment suggests that if you are surprised by these fig descriptions, you're head will spin when you learn about how wines are described.

Twice BT had a slight but distinct tinge of watermelon smell.
                        Андрей. N.-W. Кавказ, пень Абрау, 7б-8а

Comment

Working...
                        X