X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing question

Two questions actually….

First, is it okay to up-pot younger trees from their 4x9 tree pots into larger 3 or 5 gallon pots this late in the growing season? Aka, will it allow them to go dormant in time?

Second, how do you overwinter these young trees properly? I’ve had no problem keeping larger caliper trees alive in the winter but the really thin young trees for me suffer many losses. Should I bring them inside to a cold basement?

I overwinter all potted trees no matter the size in my garage.
    However...it is attached and does not get as cold as the outside, but still cold.

Having said that....I am in Ga where we do not really see any temps below 20F....and that isn't often.

Where are you located?
    Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

just don't let them get bone dry. killed my young trees on first winter. i usually water well before putting them in garage, and check occasionally. you don't want them soaking wet, but don't want them drying up either.
      Pete
      USDA Zone 7b
      Piedmont NC

Comment

I live in nj. I keep All in attached garage. They all survive. Up potting has nothing to do with dormancy. It's light in day and temp. They will go dormant based on that. You didn't list your zone or location which would make a big difference in our recs
        Ike
        bergen county NJ 6b
        Wish list: oh lets face it Ill take any variety I dont have!!

Comment

Oh true, sorry. I’m located in 6b in SE Michigan. I have an unattached Unheated garage, all my larger plants survived last winter but about half of my smaller plants died leaving them uncovered in the garage, it may have been too dry like suggested. Thanks everyone for the replies!

Comment

I did experiment 1st season with a home depot fig I bought. Left it in unattached shed. It died. From then on I. The attached garage
            Ike
            bergen county NJ 6b

Comment

I cut a bunch of air layers about this time last year and potted them up. All of them made it though fine in my garage. As stated just make sure they don't dry out.
              Travis - Zone 5a, Central WI
              Wish list - Verdolino

Comment

its funny some people say water, some people say dont. The past 3 years I have not waterd a single fig in my garage until I see bud break. I am going to try differently this year.
                Ike
                bergen county NJ 6b

Comment

Working...
                X