X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvested my first batch of Airlayers.

I know to a lot of growers that have been at this for awhile, you may just yawn at this post. I started growing figs 1 year ago yesterday and this morning I harvested 10 airlayers off my 1 year old trees. It is really satisfying to get free trees. I used a variety of methods, AL plastic balls, plastic bags, old plastic containers and a couple of old trees pots topped with plastic. They all worked well and I got a good bundle of roots from each method. Thanks for all the help and info from the forum. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210829_162825.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	516.4 KB
ID:	1043369 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210829_081751.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	360.2 KB
ID:	1043367 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210816_071210.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	473.4 KB
ID:	1043368 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210829_101224.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	653.4 KB
ID:	1043370
    Ed- Southern Utah 8b - Wish List: Anything that is very tasty, that is common and I don't have.

Very nicely done!

I cut a couple last week, thought I lost one but it is doing just fine now. (so greatful)

Keep up the good work!
    Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

Great job, definitely very satisfying.
      Joe, Central Bucks, PA Zone 6b/7a

Comment

Very nice job on those roots.
        Tony, Toronto Canada USDA 4B now 5B apparently!!
        Wishlist:
        Yellow Neches, St Martain, Texas Peach.

Comment

Ill.be right over to pick them up....
          It is pretty satisfying. I find myself for no reason at all making air layers when I'm bored. They are always nice for give aways to guests etc
          Ike
          bergen county NJ 6b
          Wish list: oh lets face it Ill take any variety I dont have!!

Comment

Nice job Ed! You’re doing better than I am on them this year.
            Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
            Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Comment

Its a lot of fun making new plants and figs are usually very accommodating, nice job.
              Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

Looking good. Has Sultane fruited for you?
                CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

• RedRockFig
                  RedRockFig commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My Sultane has been a beast for a fist year tree. Have harvested 4 figs so far with many left to ripen. I understand that 1st year figs are not at their best but I was very satisfied The skin wasn't as dark as the pics I've seen but looking forward to tree maturing.

It's great way to get free plants instead of babying rooted cuttings. I lazily did my first airlayer using a sandwich bread bag on my Peter's honey. It has a lower stem growing sideways really nicely. I was going to prune it once it would go dormant, then decided to give airlayer a try and experience the process. It's already end of August here in Texas. If we're lucky it can stay warm until November.
                North Texas - Zone 8a
                Fig Collection: Adriatic JH, Black Celeste, BMKK, BNR, Celeste, Craven's Craving, I-258, Improved Celeste, Peter's Honey, RDB, Smith, and YLN. (No Wishlist)

Comment

Great job! I am curious how did you fit that tree pot over there leaves?
                  -- Zone 10a
                  Documenting my fig addiction here

Comment

• Figology
                    Figology commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not sure how he did it, but I’ve cut a line in the container from the bottom, center, up one of the sides to make it slip on from the side.

• peppercuts
                    peppercuts commented
                    Editing a comment
                    thanks Figology, I see. Then you use string or tape to keep it closed I guess. I want to try that as it makes for an impressive root ball!

• RedRockFig
                    RedRockFig commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, cut up the side and opened the bottom more. Prepped the branch then slipped it over the branch. Taped up the cut side then filled with soil.

It’s easy to work the bread bag over the leaves like a sleeve. Just cut the bag’s closed side and bring the leaves closer and slowly pull the bag down. Don’t need to buy any bags. Buy some orchard moss from Lowes or Home Depot.

I watch Lou Monti channel and he explains the process in his video. https://youtu.be/_WmnwzSE5Gw

My Peter’s honey airlayer:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	1F5D3F01-7304-44C5-8FB3-96B68F427946.png
Views:	60
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	1044652 ​​​​​​​
                  North Texas - Zone 8a
                  Fig Collection: Adriatic JH, Black Celeste, BMKK, BNR, Celeste, Craven's Craving, I-258, Improved Celeste, Peter's Honey, RDB, Smith, and YLN. (No Wishlist)

Comment

My next stop on my journey towards fig enlightenment.
                    Guy A
                    St Augustine Fl.
                    Zone 9A.

Comment

• TNJed
                      TNJed commented
                      Editing a comment
                      A water bottle with ends cut off works well too. Also cut it top to bottom and you can place it on the branch w/o worrying about sliding over leaves. Then tape it back together and fill with soil.

• Lynx
                      Lynx commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Water bottle is a great option too.

very nice !! I'm going to start air layering some favorite trees next year
                    Toronto, Canada USDA Zone 5. Wish List: Azores Dark, Malta Black, Sucrette, LSU Hollier and Violet Sepor. I'm always interested in trading cuttings if your in the Southern Ontario area. Thank You!

Comment

My first venture into air layering, I attempted to air layer a Loquat Tree. My fig trees are too tiny to be put through the stress. I will try after dormancy.
                      Attached Files
                      Guy A
                      St Augustine Fl.
                      Zone 9A.

Comment

Working...
                      X