X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian Honey

I bought this tree this spring after my old one died over winter. Something pulled the 1st one that was swelling off the tree. I am hoping I will get to eat this one.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    USDA zone 4b. Ontario
    Wish list: RDB, Improved Celeste, Florea

that's a big and beautiful fig! Good Luck.
    Zone 5/6. WL: Black Ischia UCD, Exquisito, Vern's Brown Turkey, Florea, Iranian Candy, Smith, LSU Hollier&Champagne, Cyperus Honey, Lebnese Baskinta Purple, Col de Dema Blanc, Longue D'aoute

Comment

Looks great!
      Its going to be tasty!
      Round Rock, TX 8b
      WL: Delicious figs

Comment

It will be interesting to see what this fig is about. The leaves and the shape of the fig are not consistent with the Latarulla that I am familiar with. IH has a very light almost whitish pulp. Nevertheless, amazing looking fig!
        Leon-Albuquerque, NM Zone 7b

Comment

• TheMick27
          TheMick27 commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, it doesn't look like a regular Italian honey. It was just labeled as Italian Honey when I bought it. I included the leaf pics incase anyone can confirm it's identity. I will add interior fruit pics if I am able to get to this one before anything else does.

• leon_edmond
          leon_edmond commented
          Editing a comment
          @TheMick27,
          If you have a few figs that you are protecting just to see how they will turn out, try wrapping some aluminum foil loosely around the fig.

I acquired a plant labeled / sold as Lattarula from Burnt Ridge Nursery this year. Attached is a typical leaf shape for it:
        Attached Files
        Eric - Seattle / Sunset Zone 5 - W/L: Granato - Now offering fig-pops, my rooting mix, and gritty potting mix! https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Brows...er=pacnorwreck

Comment

• Netstars
          Netstars commented
          Editing a comment
          What a clean tree!

• PacNorWreck
          PacNorWreck commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed! It was shipped to me still dormant in may or June, which is bizarre, but it’s been very healthy since it leafed out.

odd, will need to wait and see
        Ike
        bergen county NJ 6b
        Wish list: oh lets face it Ill take any variety I dont have!!

Comment

That's a better example of Italian Honey than the Arigistarts IH variety that most people want to compare it to. The only thing that looks off is how large the fruit is. Unless you have small hands ;-)
          Garden State 7a

Comment

The leaves and fruit seem pretty similar to Italian Honey JM. It’s very productive and early, mine still might be get sold off though because it’s just not in the flavor top tier

Comment

Now thats a fig!! You better stand guard over those ones.
              Tony, Toronto Canada USDA 4B now 5B apparently!!
              Wishlist:
              Yellow Neches, St Martain, Texas Peach.

Comment

Finally took a pic of the inside.
                Attached Files
                USDA zone 4b. Ontario
                Wish list: RDB, Improved Celeste, Florea

Comment

That leaf shape is a typical of the original (Condit's real) White Marseilles. But clearly the fig is not fully developed.

Here is my Princeton Honey (Condit's White Marseilles). Lattarula/Italian Honey probably has different leaf shape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1557.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	1067524

Name:	IMG_1543.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1067525

Name:	IMG_1854.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1067526
                  Princeton, New Jersey, 6B
                  flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/red-sun/albums
                  http://growingfruit.org/ for all fruits

Comment

• Sod
                    Sod commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks like a standard Italian honey/lattarula to me.

• Red_Sun
                    Red_Sun commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nope. Lattarula/Italian Honey probably has different leaf shape. There are at least a couple of other threads about those two varieties.

Some WM was sold as Lattarula/Italian Honey. Codit's WM is also the same as Thomas Jefferson's Marseilles Monticelo. The leaf is thicker and more hardy than the Lattarula/Italian Honey. WM also has the two extra feet at the base of the 5 lobes. Lattarula/Italian Honey does not have that.
                Working...
                X