X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only one choice

Ok so I promise I not post so many topic because I want to make you mad... I just think of question and like to learn. So you can only pick one which some of you have only one favorite fig and some have many...only one is your prize.
    Tell me your prize fig and why? Taste? Colors? Beauty of the tree? No matter if its an average fig tree or the rarest in the world. I'd like to know because there are so many types that can be grown that are easy to get and have a special meaning to them vs something rare or expensive just for brag rights. So what is your favorite and why? I have not tried or have enough to say one is my favorite but so I dint go spend a lot of money on something rare and expensive (which I learn may not taste so good) just to say I have it is like others input.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

I haven't tasted a ton of varieties yet, but out of the 10-15 that I have tasted, Preto wins by far. Nothing tastes remotely close to this fig. I like to describe it as a strawberry and plum mashed together. It is my avatar picture actually.
    I do have other delicious varieties but they all generally taste similar...some sweeter, but overall very similar. I have acquired some nicer varieties over the past 6 months so maybe this year or next, I may have a new favorite.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

There are many I haven't tasted yet. And some only when they were very young. If I had to pick just one that ranks highest in taste thus far, it would be UCD Ischia Black (the real deal, not an imitation) But it would not be the only fig tree I would grow because it's not that robust.

I think to select just one, it would be better to taste the figs over a several year span since there can be good years and bad years.
      SoCal, zone 10.
      www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Taverna, do not be concerned about making anyone mad about the number of posts/topics you make. That
        is how you learn about this great hobby of growing figs.

I would pick Black Madeira as my favorite fig based just on taste alone. Its not the most productive or
        hardiest in my area but I love the rich flavors.
        newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Maybe I forget to ask "and where do your prize originate from!?

Grazie f.bennett! This look very nice to eat!!

Grazie Gina!!, can you tell me picture and orgin ?

And Grazie again Fratello dog! Can you tell me orgin and picture? I have various purple and black tree from Spain most Italia and don't known names. We just call fig Ahaha! But maybe you like tis and I send you. No money because you are my friend and I want you to have anything you do not... We have many in CZ but mine I can ship to you easier than CZ

Comment

I am ready to move forward. With all my new friends I meet here I will love to buy a cutting or plant from you of your favorite and plant it as your username in my fig tree farm. You all have been so helpful I am amazed! And very grateful. If you only want to sell. And for each I buy with your payment I will send you cutting or baby tree depending on what grow over winter of my Zio (uncle) tree in Italia. No "name" for it.. But is white fig pointy leaf. Average size fruit very great taste and I talk to a lot of you so I no lie. This is from italy with love for you!
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Grazie Gina!!, can you tell me picture and orgin ?
              My favorite tasting fig (Black Ischia originally from repository at UCDavis) would not be recommended for a cold climate because it is weakened by severe fig mosaic virus. I started with 5 rooted cuttings a year ago. They got moved up to 5 gallon pots - all doing nicely through the summer. But even in our mild winter, the 2 smaller ones did not make it. I also don't have a photo of it, nor available cuttings.
              SoCal, zone 10.
              www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

My favorite fig is a tree my wife bought me for my birthday in spring 2012. It is labeled as Brown Turkey, but it was mislabeled and is actually some kind of Celeste. It is very tasty, very productive, and was my very first fig tree -- the one that got me into this hobby!
                Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

Working...
                X