X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bordissot Negra Rimada vs Paratjal Rimada - Which Rimada Reigns Supreme?

Couple callouts about these figs: Both varieties have likely been caprified. Our Bordissot Negra Rimada is in-ground and our Paratjal Rimada is in a 20g plastic pot. It’s likely that I’ve been over-watering the Paratjal Rimada since we’ve been seeing a lot of splitting at the eye but it has still been very delicious.

Vigor - Paratjal Rimada is the clear winner in this category. Bordissot Negra Rimada has been very slow to grow for us and remains one of our weaker growers. Paratjal Rimada is on the other end of the spectrum and has been one of our most vigorous growers.

Productivity - Tie. Both have been highly productive for us and have produced figs at nearly every node.

Attractiveness/Appearance - Both varieties are highly attractive but if I had to pick a winner it would be Bordissot Negra Rimada. The color change on the BNR seems to be more dramatic whereas the PR seems to be selective in its color changing process. The cracking that we’ve experienced on the BNR is quite stunning.

Eye - Bordissot Negra Rimada wins this category. We haven’t had any split for us this year and the eyes have always been small. Paratjal Rimada seems to have a larger eye and we’ve had a couple split pretty badly.

Ripening time - Tie. We haven’t noticed much of a difference in ripening time in our climate for these varieties. Both varieties ripened for us in mid-late August. between 80-90 days after setting.

Size - Paratjal Rimada wins in the size department. Bordissot Negra Rimada is usually in the 30-40g range with Paratjal Rimada usually greater than 40g, sometimes much larger.

Taste - This one is the toughest category because both varieties are truly outstanding. Bordissot Negra Rimada seems well balanced with sweetness, complexity, and lots of syrup but Paratjal Rimada had a more intense berry flavor with a thick jammy texture. The deciding factors for me came down to flavor complexity and Bordissot Negra Rimada wins out in that category. With that being said, the winner in taste goes to Bordissot Negra Rimada.

Overall - Bordissot Negra Rimada is the winner for now but I’d love to see how Paratjal Rimada performs in ground and ripened longer on the tree. Both excellent top-tier figs that deserve spots in a lot of growing spaces.
    Attached Files
    Evan. Wish list - Any Mario variety
    SoCal - Zone 10a
    YouTube - Fig Reviews & Info

Nice comparison! 👍🏼👍🏼
    Southern California 💨 Zone 9a
    Figgy
    wishlist: Boysenberry Blush, Angelito, White Baca, Labritja, Bebera Branca, Molondra Blanca, Miralla, Forastera dCR, Crozes, all the tasty Cali finds

Comment

Very nice report. And very nice figs. I've got about 40 plants in 25 gal fabric bags in my greenhouse and 30 plants in ground. The in ground figs are generally much better but I've been managing both for cuttings and not fruit. The bags have been too wet early and maybe too dry now. Some inground trees are too dry for best fruit. A long way of saying pot vs in-ground is an iffy comparison.

I love both of these figs. BNR is like Black Madeira, weak on it's own roots.
      Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
      http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

• SoCalFigs
        SoCalFigs commented
        Editing a comment
        Very good to know, Steve. Makes sense to me and I will take that into consideration I always just assumed in-ground was superior.

My in ground PR has never split a fig. The potted BNR and the potted PR both split about the same amount.

I could not choose a favorite. They are both very different flavor. I love them both equally. :-)

This PR from today was insanely good!!!
      Attached Files
      Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

• Frankenberry
        Frankenberry commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow!

• Kid Fig
        Kid Fig commented
        Editing a comment
        Evdurtschi Yes. I've been enchanted by many figs that have an amber part on the top; its picturesque.

I wonder if the amber portions have a different taste?

• cvarcher
        cvarcher commented
        Editing a comment
        yep, ID say that qualifies as ...insane. Incidentally I have 2 BNRs both in pot and both seem to grow vigorously for me .No complaints. Very shortly I will be able to compare my uncaprified versions of both as they have nice sized figs.

Great write up👍🏻
      Round Rock, TX 8b - Free - No mask here!
      See profile for current varietal list
      WL:de la Senyora Hiverneca, São Luis, De la Caseta, Cosme Manyo

Comment

• Netstars
        Netstars commented
        Editing a comment
        No doubt - Evan has been holding out on us! 🤯

I have neither; so I say BOTH!

Have a Tiger and a CDD Rimada. Been looking for more striped figs and the BNR pics I've seen just forced it's way onto the list.

The Paratjal is trying to pry it's way in though ( the Tiger fills the "Striped Green Fig" box already).
      Inland Empire - Zone 9b

Comment

Those look amazing. Great writeup Evan. PR has been great for me this year as well (one in a 10g and an airlayer in a 5g). My BNR from cutting this past winter has been SO slow to grow, slowest of all my trees. So slow that I don't really even consider that I even have BNR yet, might have to look at replacing it or trying to graft it.
        // Los Angeles (10b) //
        // Wish List - A real yard with space to grow //

Comment

• MASS FIGS
          MASS FIGS commented
          Editing a comment
          I would consider mine actually fairly healthy and it’s not at all neglected but it is indeed by far my slowest grower I have ever seen…honestly it’s almost cute and comical at this point. I’ve had some significant issues with HdA and IB UCD on their own roots, but they’re vigorous compared to BNR.

There will be enough growth to use for several grafts next year.

PR appears to have at least average, if not above average, vigor

• bkkchris
          bkkchris commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha yup I hear you MASS FIGS mine is also kinda just cute & comical at this point. HdA was def another I had trouble with, couldn't get it to root or take to a graft. IB UCD grafted has been a beast for me. SoCalFigs Calderona was a slow grower at first, but then took off and has put on a lot of size, but unproductive for me as well so far.

• Frankenberry
          Frankenberry commented
          Editing a comment
          I put my BNR in ground early this year and it was supper slow growing until about a month ago. It seems to be doing well now.

Very nice comparison. Looking forward to mine next year!
        San Diego 10a

Comment

Perfect comparison report. It persuades me to have both!
          Forest Hill, Texas: Zone 8a

No wish list but open to trades and offers

Comment

Excellent write up and I agree with each of your points.
            Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
            W/L-Martenica Rimada, White Madeira

Comment

Kid Fig Check this out. Isn’t it bizarre?!?
              Attached Files
              Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

• swethakyadav
                swethakyadav commented
                Editing a comment
                Evdurtschi which varieties drip red honey ? Right now I have BM and BNR-Reverted , both dropping a lot of honey but it is more of clear or amber honey. Is the red honey variety specific or is it part of the caprification benefits.

• cvarcher
                cvarcher commented
                Editing a comment
                yeah, Bizarro delicious -LOL maybe the florets didnt get any of the pollen up there. OR the chemistry wasnt right??

• Kid Fig
                Kid Fig commented
                Editing a comment
                Ugh! Disgustingly perfect. Looks like a red flame with purple and green edges.

Great write up! Thanks for the write up and comparison.
              Sam
              AKA Scubasam
              Arroyo Grande / Central Coast of California, 10a/b, AHS 1

Comment

good stuff! since i only have one I'm glad it's your chosen winner
                8b PNW
                I wish the wasp liked my yard

Comment

Working...
                X