X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miami/South Florida Fig-growers

Hello all, I'm glad to have found this forum, and I'm learning a lot about fig growing. Most of the "personalities" posting Youtube videos on figs seem to be located in PA, NY, WA, CA areas. I am wondering if any seasoned growers are located in the south Florida area (I'm in Miami specifically, 10b), and can provide some input as to what grows best here, or what they've had success with growing. I am just starting out and trying to figure out what I should be targeting for the next season. I tried searching for past threads, but I didn't find anything in the initial few pages. I apologize if I missed an old thread, if someone can point me to an existing one talking about this growing area, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!

Dorian
    -Dorian Miami, FL, Zone 10b
    Wanted (Smith, Improved Celeste, HC/Mt. Etna, Bourjasotte Grise, Negra D’Agde, etc.)

Welcome to the forum!
    In that zone just about any fig you want will do well. Splitting may be an issue depending on humidity. But you should be able to ripen everything.

You have some great company down there.
    Round Rock, TX 8b - Free - No mask here!
    See profile for current varietal list
    WL:de la Senyora Hiverneca, São Luis, De la Caseta, Cosme Manyo

Comment

Welcome. Enjoy the friendships, fig talk and all the sexy ripened fig photos. There's a guy down you way that'll probably be in touch with you sometime soon, if I know anything about him.Cheers.
      Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b
      WL: Dr Clark heirloom, GM Maltese varieties, Nordland
      Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

Welcome Dorian,
        I live in St Augustine. I started out with fig cuttings last January and failed. My son saw these sorry looking twigs, and ordered me a Chicago Hardy online for Father's Day. It's been doing great, recently up potted the tree to a 10 inch pot. I also was active on figbid in July I bought an I 258, Fico Palazzo and a Figo Preto. I was gifted a Celeste and a Norella by generous people here. I come to realize that a few trees, and watching them grow in various stages is very satisfying. Good luck on your fig journey.
        Guy A
        St Augustine Fl.
        Zone 9A.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, you do have a broad list to pick from given the zone you are in.

Though as mentioned above, humidity may be an issue for some.
          Possibly try to stay with closed "eye" figs and that should help some.

Cheers!
          Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Comment

It is very challenging to grow figs in Florida, for multiple reasons, especially down there in SFL. Search for my posts as I have given others advice on growing figs in Florida when they have asked the same question. I am in Tampa Bay. I am happy to talk over the phone if you need any specific advice; just PM me if interested. I am always happy to help FL growers learn from my years of mistakes. Read my post called the "nematode bible" as I think root knot nematodes are our biggest challenge.

Other experienced FL growers are our fearless forum founder Wills, Johnson1, Rigo and I think DCSteve.

Comment

• slowpoke
              slowpoke commented
              Editing a comment
              I hadn't heard of nematodes before this forum, but now I'm thinking I got them. I've lost two in-ground mangoes, an orange, and I think my lime (basically gone) and lemon (not growing that much) trees are next. I thought it was due to water not draining well enough due to hitting rock everywhere (which is still not good). I have an in-ground Brown Turkey that seems to be doing well growth-wise, on year 2, but no fruits on it. I hope it's resistant, and I can use it as root stock. Not sure I can go through all the detailed steps you outlined, but I'm glad to know about them. Sheesh, and I thought I just had to worry about the rain

Thank you all for the welcome and suggestions! Is there any place that might document variety characteristics (such as split tendency, or typical eye size)? I imagine nothing is definitive, but at least some idea.

GuyA A Chicago Hardy type would be on my list. Am I right in assuming that Mt. Etna and Chicago Hardy are related (or the same?). I was thinking of Malta Black potentially or Azores Dark if I find one not too outrageously priced. I have LSU Purple, potentially some other LSU ones, maybe Smith or Iranian Candy/Florea. I am not sure if these varieties would work well in this climate.
            Wanted (Smith, Improved Celeste, HC/Mt. Etna, Bourjasotte Grise, Negra D’Agde, etc.)

Comment

I've learned a lot from our friend m5allen and Johnson1 They are very helpful and good peeps.

Comment

Some varieties can handle the nematodes much better than others, but all (except maybe LSU Purple) will be affected to some extent and not grow/produce to their full potential. And of course, there are some areas that just don't have a significant presence of RKN for whatever reason - even potentially within an individual yard or plot of land. There are not many, but I have seen some pretty large fig trees in the Tampa Bay area. And the biggest fig tree I have ever seen was up in the Panhandle. But I can usually tell just by looking at someone's tree if they have the RKN and most trees I have seen around here show significant RKN impacts.

What is tough is that I have found that if you plant in-ground, it usually takes about 4 years to know if a tree will be impacted by the RKN. I have had some skyrocket in growth after planting in year one, only to slow down in year 2, then very minimal growth in year3 to complete stagnation in year 4. It takes a while for the RKN to get in the roots and really start winning the battle.

And also in my experience is that for some reason, any Mt. Etna variety I have grown has been extremely susceptible to RKN. Sucks because they produce really tasty fruits with a tight eye and are usually heavy producers and strong growers outside of RKN.

IMO, your choices are - grow in pots and keep the pots off the ground (growing in pots is tough because of the intense heat and rain - which causes splitting), get really lucky and not have RKN in your yard, find a F.Carica rootstock that does really well in your yard and graft everything to it, or do what I am doing and trial out grafting F.Carico on to nematode resistant rootstock of fig tree cousins like F.Racemosa or F.Sycomorous.

Comment

I guess I'll be practicing grafting everything to LSU Purple root stock I still hope my BT is resistant as that thing really grows big, and would much rather use it as root stock.
                  Would WillsC , Johnson1 , Rigo007 , @Rafaelissimmo be willing to share what varieties have done well for you in South Florida?

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X