X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grafting tool

These ads got me again, it popped on my screen and I couldn't resist, so I clicked the link and ended up buying it.

So far, Im impressed, I know its early to graft, but I had to try it 😁
    Attached Files
    MJ
    Chicago Zone 5

$$$$?
    Zone 5/6. WL: Improved Celeste, RDB, VDB, Black Ischia UCD, Exquisito, Vern's Brown Turkey, Olympian, MB vs, Florea, Iranian Candy, Smith, LSU Hollier&Champagne, Desert King, Cyperus Honey, Lebnese Baskinta Purple, Col de Dema Blanc

Comment

• MJA829
      MJA829 commented
      Editing a comment
      FUNTECK V-Cut Grafting Tool for Large Branches Full Metal Body with SK5 Blade Ideal for Fruit Tree Grafting

$34 on Amazon

• Joshawa
      Joshawa commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks!

It looks like it is a nice tool for cleft grafts as long as the rootstock and scion are the same diameter. If the scion is slightly narrower, you can probably line up just one side and since the cut angle would be the same, it should match up well. Finger safe too! For all of the other grafting techniques, a nice sharp, stiff blade is my preferred tool. I always wear cut proof gloves.
    I live in Zone 10a and I have been grafting off and on since February with very high success rate. The only time I do not graft is when there is no sap flowing from the rootstock. Anyone else having success grafting after Spring time?
    Peter - San Diego 10a. Santa Rosa 9b, 10b. WL: Angelito, BFF, Osborne Prolific, Zaffiro, Tia Penya, and Figoin. Better to give than to receive

Comment

• MJA829
      MJA829 commented
      Editing a comment
      True, this helps a lot for similar size scion or rootstock, and if scion is smaller, and I will use whenever possible as its easy and quick.

I'm curious, name brand?...price?

I have been looking at these types of tools but I work so stinkin much I haven't really had a whole lot of time to research them.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks
    Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Comment

Nice
      Attached Files
      Urban Fig Explorer
      Los Angeles. Zone 9B/10A
      [email protected]_Fig_Renaissance

Comment

MJ
        thanks for the post. I picked one up on Amazon. You’re such an enabler lol. Thanks again
        David
        Los Angeles CA zone 10B
        Want list: campaniere Azores Dark

Comment

What seems to be different with this model is that the blades slice through vs push and crush their way through like the Omega cutters.
          WV Harpers Ferry Zone 6b

Comment

agreed, this larger grafting tool is very much better than that omega. The omega is horrible. I've had one of this style tool for a year or two now. It can be a little difficult to center the blade on the cutting. That's probably the most difficult part about using it. It works pretty well on the thicker cuttings.
            Pm me for the list of trees available for sale.
            Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

With small diameter cuttings, a conventional cleft graft works very well and it is very easy to perform with just a sharp, stiff knife. No need to cut a V on the rootstock since the wood is very flexible. Shaving the scion to a V is quite simple. Also, that tool has a Pre established depth cut that works well for thicker wood. With thinner material, it is easier to wrap if the angle cut is more acute or deeper.
              Peter - San Diego 10a. Santa Rosa 9b, 10b. WL: Angelito, BFF, Osborne Prolific, Zaffiro, Tia Penya, and Figoin. Better to give than to receive

Comment

$34 is a fair price. Nice tool ! I'm very interested in getting one as well but was looking at the hand held version . It's a little more money but I just love the portability .

I'm gonna pull the trigger on one after I do some more research

Toronto, Canada USDA Zone 5. Wish List: Smith and Improved Celeste. I'm always interested in trading cuttings if your in the Southern Ontario area. Thank You!

Comment

Im really impressed with how clean of a cut Im getting, no crushing and maximize cambium contact too.
                  I tried different scions, similar or smaller diameter, will see if its any better than traditional cleft grafting.

Its really quick and easy, very useful if you do a lot of grafts ( other fruits too )
                  Attached Files
                  MJ
                  Chicago Zone 5

Comment

Working...
                  X