X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look Alike?

The 3 figs on the left of this plate, Peter's Honey, seem to look like some of the photos I've seen of Pingo del Mel / Gota del Mel. I wouldn't be surprised, though can't say with any certainty.
    Figs Hunter, Figs Farmer in Asia and Europe, Figs Lover Community, Figs Cutting and Fruit For Sell in World, Figs Ficus Carica

Most flavor on the plate belonged to the 3 in the front, Brooklyn White, crusted sugar, chewy, a kind of potent cherry flavor. Next most flavorful the two agave syrup tasting Long Yellows in the middle. Then the very sweet Peter's Honey to the left. Others include up top Emerald Strawberry, and the dark four: Hunt, Marseilles Black, LSU Tiger, LSU Purple. The lighter one at four o'clock is a second Hunt that didn't darken much but taste was good.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Forgot to include the plate referred to above ... now here.

Most flavor on the plate belonged to the 3 in the front, Brooklyn White, crusted sugar, chewy, a kind of potent cherry flavor. Next most flavorful the two agave syrup tasting Long Yellows in the middle. Then the very sweet Peter's Honey to the left. Others include up top Emerald Strawberry, and the dark four: Hunt, Marseilles Black, LSU Tiger, LSU Purple. The lighter one at four o'clock is a second Hunt that didn't darken much but taste was good.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by mountainfigs; 09-08-2016, 08:06 PM.
    Tony WV 6b

Comment

I believe Pingo de Mel is very similar if not the same as Kadota, Peter's Honey, etc...

Lampo made the comparison on F4F if I remember correctly. I also think that Moscatel Branco is in that family of figs as well.
      Zone 7A - Philadelphia
      Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

I don't have any of those ones that you're saying that look alike so I can't compare but, Do they also taste alike? That's the case with some named and some un-named figs that I have. They're too similar to keep every tree I come across so as a result I've been slowly thinning them from the herd.
        Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
        Tony
        Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

It's as much or more about timing as taste to me. Honey figs here have ripened in roughly this order:

breba:
          1. Marseilles/Lattarula
          2. Desert King
          3. Kadotas
          main:
          1. Kadotas, Marseilles/Lattarula, Wuhan, Excel, LSU Gold
          2. Champagne, Peter's Honey, Long Yellow
          3. Lemon/Blanche/U. Italian White
          4. Alma, Mary Lane
          Across the spectrum here, some of these honeys taste similar to one another and/or look similar and some don't. While taste and appearance are important, I'm more interested - given that all these taste plenty good - in having a steady stream of honeys through time. A small potted tree can ripen its crop in a week or two, so it helps to always have waves coming on by cultivar, from early July through early October.

Yes, Kadota looks and tastes here somewhat or a lot like Peter's Honey and Lemon and Alma, also Excel, but those cultivars have been pushing for me at different times. In fact all the honeys are of a similar flavor profile, obviously, though there is an interesting range from light to heavy, or agave to caramel, it seems to me, and a range in shape, and even skin color (especially with Wuhan and Beall being dark, and some being more green, some being more yellow). But all the flavor and texture and shape and color differences are of limited significance to me compared to the time-frame at which they are likely to crop.

And the Kadotas seem to bounce around in ripening time, though that may be due to the fact that I mix a bunch of strains, perhaps separate varieties, into "Kadotas," such as: Banana, Janice, Trojano, Kadota itself. Otherwise most similar to Kadota seems Lemon/Blanche/U. Italian White, though they have pushed smaller and later here so far. Peter's Honey similar too but seems more elongated and with thinner walls. Excel and Alma also are round and Kadota-esque but different. With LSU Gold, Marseilles/Lattarula, Long Yellow, Mary Lane, Champagne, and Wuhan the differences become greater and more obvious in various ways.
          Tony WV 6b

Comment

I agree that a longer season is a plus. I'm still in the middle of fine tuning my fig production to keep them coming in as early and as late as possible. I dried some to help me threw withdrawals during winter but fresh is best.
            Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
            Tony
            Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Working...
            X