X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fig wasp?

Just saw what looks like fig wasps on one of the figs in the greenhouse. Last year I got a Capri with wasps. But it never pollinated anything. I wonder if they over wintered for me in the greenhouse.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

That is awesome!
    Phil
    Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Whow. That is exciting.
      Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Bass you may have discovered the holy grail. Don't forget to spread the wasps evenly throughout the greenhouse!
          Rafael
          Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

Problem is that there's no Capri figs on the two trees I got. So they really aren't pollinating at this time.

Comment

I remember talking to bass about this wasp. Because I never hear of because I m in Chicago. But I just read up to learn them a little and understand their benefit. But if fig needs wasp to pollinate and there's no wasp in Chicago why do I still get fig? Different insect here? Or something in the climate that does it naturally? I'm very interested in this.
              Last edited by Taverna78; 03-19-2015, 06:57 AM.
              Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
              1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
              2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• Kelby
                Kelby commented
                Editing a comment
                Not all figs require pollination, but it improves flavor.

Bass,

Very cool. It is a goal to get them established here.
              Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

How hardy are fig wasps? Who will be the first to overwinter them in basement or garage? Or in a jar on the kitchen counter? Tongue not too far from cheek but it makes you think. As with crossing fig wood with mulberry wood. Would be good to get some scientific perspective on it.
                Tony WV 6b
                https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

A lot of us are going for a sustainable wasp population. I hope this is the start of Bass'. If there are wasps now they're from the overwintering Mamme. Only the late Spring/early Summer ripening profichi has pollen. Theoretically the wasps can't survive freezing but Harvey's had a freeze and his wasps either survived or were replenished from elsewhere.
                  Last edited by Harborseal; 03-20-2015, 01:02 PM.
                  Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

I think I need to start more airlayers.... but need to find the time.
                    My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

As far as the wasp's hardiness, I think some eastern European growers say they are zone 7/8 and report having the wasp. Maybe it's hardier than we give credit?
                      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
                      SE PA
                      Zone 6

Comment

Some of the cold-hardy figs are Mt Etna types. Both figs and wasps gotta be cold hardy to some extent to survive and breed up on a snow-capped volcano.

SoCal, zone 10.
                        www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Or the birds ate seeds in the warmth and flew a little higher up before fertilizing. Which reminds me of a dream I had last night. A large group of birds were annoyed at me with the predictable behavior on their part. Except they could fire under pressure and thus were not dependent on gravity to deliver their payload. I was dodging the incoming fire like Neo in the matrix. watching large streaks of green streak by. I was occasionally hit. Then I had a blue poncho and sat under it with my cell phone, ignoring the hits but moving out into the rain every once in a while.
                          Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Or the birds ate seeds in the warmth and flew a little higher up before fertilizing.
                            Sure, in the case of a monolithic mountain. But many Mediterranean areas where figs grow or have become naturalized have some frost or freezes in winter, yet the wasp seems to endure. It's likely a matter of degree and duration, or perhaps continual re-introduction. Usually it's extremes in the environment that determine range, not averages.
                            SoCal, zone 10.
                            www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Working...
                            X