X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonel Littman's Black Cross 9/13/2016

A nice fig for me. A very thick but tasty skin. Reminds me of a smaller Black Madeira. The more I see of it this fig, I really wonder if this is what JF&E was sending out as BM. It has been suggested before and after seeing folks report the fruit from the JF&E BM? seems to be a smaller BM
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

The JF&E reference is interesting. I've been on the waiting list for a Colonel Littman there for quite a long time. Then someone posted that they sold the mother tree, so do they still have it? Are they growing some out? If not then why is it still on their site? I would love to give this whirl.

Phil, your pic's and description just add to it. They look great, I love the spots. As always, thank you for sharing!!
    Last edited by COGardener; 09-13-2016, 05:57 PM.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• strudeldog
      strudeldog commented
      Editing a comment
      JF&E did have the UC DAVIS USDA BM at one time, and probably still do unless they sold the Mother tree of that as well. but "I" don't believe all they sent were true based on my own observations as well as what They told me.

• COGardener
      COGardener commented
      Editing a comment
      I just may have to call and ask about the Colonel Littman, waiting for one with JF&E may be a waist of time. Hopefully some cuttings or better some air layers show up for sale or trade here soon.
      Last edited by COGardener; 09-13-2016, 08:25 PM.

Folks have also Speculated that Col. Littman's Is Ischia Black, but after having my Ischia Black direct from UC DAVIS USDA fruit this year. I can't see that.

Comment

I have one cutting of this that is currently growing very well. I'm excited to hear the good ratings. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
      Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• COGardener
        COGardener commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice Frank, congrats.

• Netstars
        Netstars commented
        Editing a comment
        Frank - could you update with pictures of the fruit now?

Have any leaf shots, Phil?
      Zone 7A - Philadelphia
      Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

• strudeldog
        strudeldog commented
        Editing a comment
        i will get some

Phil, would you consider this a late fig like Black Madeira/Figo Preto? What country can it be traced back to? It looks fantastic in the pics.
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

• Rewton
        Rewton commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, and do you grow in-ground or a container?

• strudeldog
        strudeldog commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't have Preto, my BM is in pot this is in ground. It has fewer fruit than my BM but seems ripening mid-way in my BM which for me ripens over a long period seemingly. I had BMs start around 8/20 but still lots to ripen

Here are my leaf pictures. Are yours similar? I rooted mine this spring, so it is a very young tree that may not have the dominant leaf pattern yet.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.
      Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Here are leaf pics from last year. It shows more than one leaf pattern. My tree went in ground June 2015. It been a slow grower for me, and I could not even get a air layer to take last year. This year one of the 3 set has taken well enough to remove. On the positive It took zero winter loss last winter. Probably because the growth was more mature than some with the slowish growth. I have noted that on several trees.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by strudeldog; 09-13-2016, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• F. Bennett
          F. Bennett commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Phil

Hi Frank - do you have pictures of the fruit now?
        Zone 8B - Cottage Grove, Or
        Wish List - Crema di Wheat

Comment

Same fig??
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Evdurtschi
            Evdurtschi commented
            Editing a comment
            I can’t tell. You need to send me cuttings so I can compare it. 😂
            Last edited by Evdurtschi; 05-06-2019, 09:33 AM.

First two pictures are CLBC plants in 7 gal pots taken 04/15/19 to show leaf variation that occurs primarily in the new growth and which becomes much more consistent as the season progresses. Thus the challenge of simply using a leaf, especially on a new plant for identification.

Comparing new growth leaves to a mature leaf pattern may help. So the mature leaf pattern will be late season, 11/15/19 shown in the last photo. You can compare the immature leaves on the new 2019 growth in the first two pictures dated 04/15/19 to the old growth in the last picture. The CLBC branch in the late season plant picture is diagonal from the bottom lh to the top rh and also a fork going straight up with the figs. This was the last of the CLBC crop, the picture is dated 11/13/18. These are not absolutes but the leaf format does becomes much more consistent.

The bottom picture is the last of the CLBC fruit from 11/13/18.

Growth this year has been amazing, nearly 2' since early Feb 2019. It has already exceeded the total growth of 2018! There are tiny new figs too.

FL had a mild winter so the figs came out of dormancy early and the CLBC is the first to break dormancy.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20190415_183358.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	511472

Name:	20190415_183637.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	511473

Name:	20181113_144629.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	511470Click image for larger version

Name:	20181113_144219.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	511471
          Johnson1
          Zone 9b
          S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

• strudeldog
            strudeldog commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes It is a vigorous grower, 1st couple years mine was not as think I had in pot to long and root bound after getting established in ground grows strong for me as well, My early posts on it have been reversed went from slow growth to vigorous

Does the Colonel Littman’s BC take a long time to ripen similar to the Black Madeira and Preto?
          USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Working...
          X