X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improved Celeste cutting request

I am looking for 1-2 cuttings of the Improved Celeste (not O'Rourke). This variety was one that I obtained over the winter that was on my wish list along with several others that do well in the NE. Unfortunately, my 2 cuttings of this variety both budded out quickly without roots and never made it. I know it is a little late in the cutting season, but if anyone has some they are willing to sell or trade, let me know by PM

If none are available, I know that JF&E has it listed. Although there seems to be confusion over the name, that nursery also carries O'Rourke so I assume theirs is the real IC.

Hopefully this request does not seem offensive - I feel a little odd making it but see no other way to get this variety via cutting this season. Thanks for looking!
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Ed, your post is not offensive at all. Just wish I had IC to send to you.
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Hi Ed
      I also purchased some Improved Celeste cuttings this winter and am having a hard time with them.
      Not an easy rooter I have found
      Good Luck

Comment

I, too, have found them to be difficult to root. I'm on my second batch. They all shoot out leaves and burn out. Good luck, Ed. If I succeed in rooting an extra I'll get in touch.
        https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
        SE PA
        Zone 6

Comment

If you don't ask, how are you going to get them?

I have the JF&E LSU Improved Celeste, I'll take a pic of the leaf to post (assuming I remember... it's going to be a busy day shortly). Once I get the pic loaded, you can compare and see if it is the correct cultivar.
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Bass started a thread called "an under rated variety" that started out about Verte and Celeste that contained some info on LSU Improved Celeste. I have one from JF&E and posted some of my pictures of it and my opinion of it's genuineness. I can't take any cuttings of it, but I could airlayer one this spring. JF&E still has them in stock. My tree came about 4' tall and in a 3 gallon pot. They do ship nice trees.
            PPP
            Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Ed,

Petals from the Past sells an "O'Rourke" that was actually a very good improved Celeste Hybrid, http://petalsfromthepast.com/catalog...-o-rourke.html that I purchased in 2012. You could ask them if its from the same mother tree, you won't be disappointed. My tree was sadly killed last winter.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1967.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	569.1 KB
ID:	11060

Petals also had an association with LSU in the past. Their Champagne and LSU Purple are correct, but their "Tiger" was the actual O'Rourke. Good Luck.
              Last edited by AscPete; 03-21-2015, 10:23 AM.
              Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• DaveL
                DaveL commented
                Editing a comment
                Pete check PM.

• AscPete
                AscPete commented
                Editing a comment
                Checked thanks...

Ed i may have an extra Improved Celeste tree. At this point the trees are still packed like sardines in the garage, so I can't be sure of what's exactly in there. If it's there then it's yours. Snow tomorrow but then it will be warming up and with luck it will stay warm.
              Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
              Tony
              Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Thanks all for the replies and PMs. Looks like I should have cuttings or a plant available, and thanks for the suggestions of JF&E and PFTP as sources.
                Ed
                SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Working...
                X