This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh Fig & Ricotta Cake. Serves 8. Nice medium texture cake. Not too sweet- with a slight lemony zing. Nice luncheon or anytime cake. It was a hit when we served it. This should be printable.
    Located in Banning Ca. Upper Desert Pass Zone 10b

Comment

Haven't tried it, but it looks good.

http://www.sheridanrogers.com.au/fig-seed-bars/ Fig Seed Bars

By Sheridan 5 March, 2017

Looking for a healthy treat for afternoon tea or for the school lunchbox? These gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free fig and seed bars are full of goodness.
      • Prep Time : 30 minutes
      • Cook Time : 40 minutes
      • Yield : 24
      Ingredients

Instructions

Preheat oven to moderate (180degC). Line bottom and sides of a 23cm square square tin with baking paper.
      Place the figs in a medium heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to soak 15-20 minutes.
      Drain the figs and discard the water. Place figs in the bowl of a food processor or Thermomix, add the banana, vanilla paste, orange juice and zest and process until smooth.
      Add the egg and process until combined.
      Spoon mixture into a large mixing bowl. Stir through the seed mix, walnuts, cranberries, coconut, sesame seeds and dates. Mix well with a wooden spoon to combine.
      Sift the flour, baking powder, bi-carbonate of soda and cinnamon over the dried fruit/seed mixture. Use a wooden spoon or your hands to mix the dry ingredients through evenly.
      Spoon into prepared tin. Smooth top with a wooden spoon or spatula. Bake 35- 40 minutes. Test with a skewer - if it comes out clean, it's ready. Remove from oven and leave to cool before cutting into bars or squares. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.​​​​​​
      Cheryl (f/k/a VeryNew2Figs) Zone 5a/6a
      What I'm growing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Comment

FRIED GREEN UNRIPE FIGS INDIAN STYLE

iNGREDIENTS: WASHED ALMOST RIPE BUT STILL FIRM GREEN FIGS (APPARENTLY MY KINDA FIGS THIS FALL)
        POT OF BOILING SALTED WATER
        SKILLET WITH QUARTER INCH HOT OLIVE( OR FAVORITE) OIL

REMOVE STEMS AND QUARTER FIGS, SOAK IN COOL WATER 2 HOURS,
        BOIL FIGS IN WATER TIL SOFTENED
        STRAIN FIGS AND PRESS TO GET MAX WATER OUT(TORTILLA PRESS, ETC) SQUEEZE DRY AS POSSIBLE
        ADD FAVORITE CONDIMENTS(PEPPER, CURRYP,,GARLIC, ETC.) AND MIX , FORM INTO LUMPS AND PLACE GENTLY INTO HOT OIL AND FRY TIL BROWNED ,TURNING ONCE
        DRAIN ON TOWELS AND PRESS TO REMOVE EXCESS OIL
        EAT WITH FAVORITE SALSA,SAUCE, OR PLAIN

WAS SURPRISED NOT ONLY EDIBLE BUT GOOD!
        Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST :CC, ZAFFIRO, CAMPANIERE

Comment

Fig icebox pie

ingredients; 2 cups very ripe figs, chilled
          2 cups very cold whipped cream(the real stuff,not fake)
          box vanilla wafers
          dozen ripe figs not too squishy

wash and puree cold very ripe figs
          fold into cold whipped cream
          line pie dish with vanilla wafers (deep enough dish to hold all filling)
          fill pie dish with fig/cream and level top
          slice dozen figs in halves and arrange on top of pie filling
          put in refrigerator overnight
          get fat n happy gorging!
          Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST :CC, ZAFFIRO, CAMPANIERE

Comment

• Realtorbyday
            Realtorbyday commented
            Editing a comment
            Yatama this looks so easy and delicious! I'm doing your recipe soon.

• YATAMA
            YATAMA commented
            Editing a comment
            Aim to Please(or rather figs do)!

ROASTED FIGS WITH GOAT CHEESE AND BALSAMIC GLAZE

This is an appetizer:

Cut each fig in half and roast with the cut side down on a BBQ grill--do not burn

Place each fig cut side up in an oven-safe pan and top with a small scoop of mild goat cheese.

Keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.

Remove from oven and drizzle with a small amount of a very well aged Balsamic Vinegar de Modena (the thick sweet type) or a thick balsamic vinegar glaze (made or purchased) over the figs and cheese. Don't over-do the vinegar or it will overpower the fig and cheese.

Serve warm.

Goes well with red wine.

Messy but worth every bite.
          Zone 9B; NorCal, Fair Play, CA
          I can also be found in San Jose and Rocklin and occasionally in Santa Cruz (hometown). Hit me up.

Comment

FIG PECAN ROSETTES

Lay out phyllo dough in square or rectangle

Add a layer of cream cheese

Spread fruit on top

Roll it up like a jelly roll

Cut the roll into 1.5" to 2" sections

Bake in muffin pans at 350F.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar while cooling.
            Fruit crazed in Vista CA. http://tangentvectors.com

Comment

• eboone
              eboone commented
              Editing a comment
              What is the recipe for your filling?

• Richard
              Richard commented
              Editing a comment
              eboone -- just straight fruit, and in this case ... diced pecans.

We made fig jam today and it was delicious. This recipe calls for honey and no sugar -- simple and easy to whip together.

https://www.wickedspatula.com/cardamom-fig-jam/

Attached Files

Comment

FIG FRANGIPANE TART

The recipe is based on an apple tart at: https://www.joyofbaking.com/AppleFrangipaneTart.html

TART CRUST: I use a standard pie crust recipe. The following is enough for a 10 inch tart.

1/2 cp shortening (actually, I generally use 1/4 cp shortening and 1/4 cp butter)
              1 and 1/3 cp flour
              1/2 tsp salt
              3-4 Tb cold water

Mix flour and salt. Cut shortening into flour mix till it looks like coarse cornmeal. Add water and knead a few times till dough comes together. Let rest for 30 minutes in refrigerator before rolling out into tart pan.

FRANGIPANE:

1/2 cup (50 gm) almond flour
              1 tsp (12 gm) all-purpose flour
              1/4 cp (50 gm) granulated white sugar
              3 tablespoons (40 gm) unsalted butter
              1 large egg
              1/2 tsp vanilla extract
              1/8 tsp salt

Mix ingredients in food processor till it forms a smooth paste.

FIG TOPPING:

~15 medium size figs, quartered (for 10 inch tart)
              Sugar to taste

ASSEMLBLYING THE TART:

After rolling out the tart crust, spread a thin layer of the frangipane onto the bottom of the crust. Arrange figs, cut into quarters (or more, depending on their size) on top of the frangipane. Sprinkle the tart lightly with sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Let cool and serve at room temperature.

Notes: As the tart bakes, the frangipane will rise slightly, the figs will become embedded in it. At first, the figs release syrup into the tart, but as the tart bakes longer the syrup will be absorbed by the frangipane layer. For varieties that have a lot of juice, it might be good to reduce the amount of figs somewhat to not make the tart soggy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1587.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	584950Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1592.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	584951 ​​​​​​​
              Southern CA, Zone 10a

Comment

Under-ripe Refrigerator Fig Jam

1 lb soft, but still under-ripe fresh figs
                3/4 cup sugar
                1/4 cup water
                2 tsp lemon juice
                1/2 to 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
                Pinch of salt

This recipe originally called for ripe figs, but I tried it with the under-ripe (inedible) mission figs from a Trader Joe's purchase my husband made last week. Rather than just pulling off the stems as originally called for, I cut about 1/4 off the top of the figs and let them sit so that whatever latex was left in them drained out (just going on instinct with this step, so no clue if it made a difference in the final outcome).

Purée all de-stemmed figs in a food processor until smooth.

Pour our into a heavy/thick bottomed, non-reactive pot and add sugar, water, and lemon juice.

Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce heat to medium.

Continue boil, stirring almost constantly for about 12 minutes, until mixture thickens, becomes glossy, and falls off the mixing spoon in clumps (vs drips).

Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt.

Let cool for one hour, transfer to a jar or air tight container and refrigerate. Use within ten days, or freeze for longer storage.

I used it on pizza and the 1 tsp of vanilla called for in the original recipe was too much, but still quite tasty. If using on desserts or spreading on toast, the full amount is good.
                “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
                – Chinese Proverb
                MA 5b/6a

Comment

Pasta Salad with Figs and Heirloom Tomatoes. Ingredients

For 6 Person(s)

For the Pasta Salad:

• 2 pints small Heirloom Tomatoes, sliced
                  • 1/4 + 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
                  • 5 fresh basil leaves, torn
                  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced
                  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
                  • 8 fresh figs, stems trimmed and quartered
                  • 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
                  • 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
                  • 1 cup Campanelle pasta (or any other shape you prefer)
                  Directions

1. In a large mixing bowl combine the sliced tomatoes, 1/4 cup of the oil and the torn basil leaves.
                  2. Drop the pasta into a pot of generously salted boiling water.
                  3. While the pasta is cooking heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over a medium flame and add the red pepper flakes and sliced garlic. Cook for 30 seconds and add the Figs to the pan. Cook until the Figs begin to breakdown, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat
                  4. Once the pasta is al dente drain it and add it to the bowl with the tomatoes. Add the cheeses in immediately and toss well to coat. The heat of the pasta will begin to melt the cheese.
                  5. Pour the oil and Fig mixture over the pasta and mix together. Serve chilled.
                  Such little time so much to learn
                  zone 7a New Cumberland Pa
                  Hoping for Global Warming changing my 7A to an 8 😊

Comment

Janet's R​​​​​osettes

Defrost a package of phyllo dough and unroll it onto a full size pastry board. Cut a 4" wide strip from the end of the full length. Use three sheets from this strip. Place them on top of each other but baste lightly with melted unsalted butter between each sheet. The original recipe calls for cream cheese on top of the sheets but we’re omitting it. In a bowl, place the berries or sliced fruit and mash it with your potato masher, adding 1/4 cup sugar per quart of fruit. Spread a portion of the mashed fruit on the right half of the stacked sheets. Fold the left half over the right and roll it up. Place vertically in a greased muffin pan. Repeat. When the muffin pan is full bake in preheated oven at 375° for 20 minutes.
                    Fruit crazed in Vista CA. http://tangentvectors.com

Comment

ROASTED FIGS WITH BRIE

I was inspired by a mention of figs roasted with Brie in a recent post to give something like that a try. https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...to-restaurants

I found a host of recipes on line and decided to try this one for desert when we had family over today:
                      https://www.justalittlebitofbacon.co...-spiced-honey/
                      Basically figs heated with brie inside, drizzled with honey infused with ground cardamom, cinnamon, and thyme. I skipped the walnuts in the original recipe (some family members with allergy) and left out the lemon zest from the infused honey. I tried this with mesquite honey which is some of the best honey I have had. The infused honey was truly delicious on its own and the left over infused honey will be used for a repeat performance later this week. The figs used were an assortment of great figs, including Paradiso Bronze, Strawberry Verte, Smith, Atreano, St Rita, RdB and others. I roasted the figs with the brie inside rather than adding it later as this recipe suggested - the figs standing together in the pie plate sort of kept the brie from all running out (mostly). The results were pretty amazing, and the guests asked for more!

I think the toasted walnuts (or pecans or almonds) would have been a good addition as per the original recipe.

Click image for larger version  Name:	figs and brie.jpg Views:	24 Size:	179.1 KB ID:	611002
                      Last edited by eboone; 11-23-2019, 06:33 PM.
                      Ed
                      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

For those of you who aren't aware.... This is Thanksgiving Weekend..... That's right, Thanksgiving in Canada comes earlier.... I decided to do a different take on my fig stuffing..... FRESH FIGS!!!

OK, I wasn't too much on measuring but here's the gist;

- Three loaves of really good, crusty semolina bread.
                        - A kilo or so of chopped Soppressata. The best you can get.(I used 6 sticks of my homemade cacciatore salumi )
                        - Onions (a lot)
                        - Garlic (a bit more than a lot)
                        - Rosemary
                        - Thyme
                        - Black pepper
                        - Chicken stock (maybe a liter - wine also works)
                        - Olive oil - a nice amount to coat the pan and to soak the bread - this will help make it crisp as well.
                        - Mixed lot of fresh dark figs - Slices chunky so they don't get lost.
                        - Mix it all together
                        - Toss in the oven covered at about 200C for about 40 minutes, then remove cover and brown at about 225C
                        - Once complete, spoon a few bird drippings over top.

Note: with the amount of salumi, broth and drippings you likely won't need to add extra salt to the stuffing.

I found that using fresh figs works a lot better than dried. The come out very delicate and melt in your mouth savory.

The whole family agreed this was my best stuffing ever....

Buon appetito!

Click image for larger version  Name:	stuffing-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	412.1 KB ID:	631816

Click image for larger version  Name:	stuffing-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	441.1 KB ID:	631817

Click image for larger version  Name:	stuffing-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	369.3 KB ID:	631818
                        Last edited by TorontoJoe; 10-15-2019, 07:59 AM.
                        Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

• DrDraconian
                          DrDraconian commented
                          Editing a comment
                          But...but... Isn't stuffing supposed to be stuffed inside the bird? We need to make a separate stove top dish because most of my kids are vegetarian, but this obviously isn't a vegetarian stuffing.

• TorontoJoe
                          TorontoJoe commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That's actually a popular misconception..... The stuffing is not to stuff the bird.... it's to stuff me!

Stuffing wouldn't be right for me without my salami..... Actually, I need to talk to find a lab to develop my idea for a non-vegetarian strain of fig Would that be any smyrna?

Green Fig Preserve
                        by Jennifer Van Wyk
                        1. They should be plump and hard with no internal cavity.
                        2. Grate the skins here and there. I just usually prick them all over with a fork and cut a cross in the blossom end of each fig. Weigh them.
                        3. Soak overnight in a soln of bicarb(2 tablespoons soda to 3,4 litres of water or slaked lime(1 tablespoon to 3.4lites water.
                        4. Rinse the fruit well and put into boiling water and boil for about 15 minutes till tender.Keep the water to make the suryp
                        5. When cool enough squeeze the water out of the fruit via the cross-cut into the blossom end. Taste the figs after boiling them in the water to check for any bitterness.
                        6. Gradually put figs into boiling syrup: Use 5oo grams of sugar for every 500 grams of fruit and 1.5 cups of water for every 1 cup of sugar used. Make some extra syrup to add when necessary.
                        7. Add a few cloves, cinnamon or bruised ginger as well as 3-4 Tablespoons of lemon juice for every 3kg of fruit
                        8. Boil rapidly for about 2 hours in the syrup until the fruit is clear and the syrup is thick. Also add a knob of butter to prevent excessive frothing.
                        9. I often do not cook for the full 2 hours, but remove a fig, cut in half, have a look and do a taste test!
                        10. Pack into sterilized jars and seal.

There is another recipe here: https://www.giverecipe.com/unripe-fig-jam/

Happy Cooking !!

Tyrone Genade
                        Johnson City, TN, Zone 6b
                        Wishlist: Atreano, Florea, Panache, Red Lebanese (BK), RdB,

Comment

Franklin's Fig Ancho Beer BBQ sauce
                          https://www.foodrepublic.com/recipes...arbecue-sauce/

Ingredients
                          4 ancho chiles, rehydrated in hot water (reserve water for later)
                          12 figs, grilled, stems removed, quartered (I did not grill first and came out great)
                          1/2 yellow onion, sliced
                          4 tablespoons unsalted butter
                          1 1/2 cups brown sugar
                          1 12 oz. bottle of stout or porter
                          1 cup ketchup
                          1/2 cup white vinegar
                          1/2 cup cider vinegar
                          6 tablespoons fig preserves (or other fruit preserve if necessary. I was out of fig preserves and used mulberry/blackberry instead)
                          1 tablespoon honey
                          1 tablespoon kosher salt
                          1 teaspoon coarse black pepper

Steps
                          1. Sauté chiles, figs, onion and butter for 10 min. in skillet over medium heat.
                          2. Transfer sautéed ingredients to a blender and add all remaining ingredients. Puree until smooth.
                          3. Add reserved liquid from ancho chillies until desired BBQ sauce consistency is reached. It was great thick, without adding any liquid.
                          4. Makes ~6 cups. Store desired quantity in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, freezing the rest to use later as needed.

I've used it with pulled pork, ribs, and on mac and cheese--all were great! It's now our family favorite for BBQ sauce.
                          FL 10a
                          Wish list: Improved Celeste, Malta Black, St Rita, Smith, LSU Scott's Black, Col De Dama Gris, CLBC, De La Senyora "Hivernenca"

Comment

A link with plenty:
                            https://food52.com/recipes/search?q=fig
                            USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Calderona, De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Bass’ Favorite Fig

Comment

I’m clearing a bunch of elderberries out of the freezer to make wine. Refreshing my memory on correct amounts l went to the Jack Keller site and noticed his fig wine recipe. Maybe some day I’ll have enough figs for it.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques6.asp
                              Central IL Z6a
                              WL: Roots on the nice cutting I have!

Comment

#1 Hazelnut and Fig Bread with Fennel seeds and Rosemary

12-06-2019, 08:01 PM
                                If you need a good way to use some of your dried figs, give this a try, a simple bread with a bold taste!
                                Adapted from "Bread" by Jeffrey Hamelman. Makes 2 good sized loaves.

Whole wheat flour 1 lb (3 1/2 cups)
                                Unbleached flour 1 lb (3 1/2 cups)
                                Water 1 lb 6 oz (2 1/2 cups)
                                Salt 1 Tablespoon
                                Instant yeast 1 1/2 teaspoon
                                Fennel seeds 2 Tbsp
                                Rosemary 2 Tbsp
                                Hazelnuts (roasted light) 1 cup
                                Dried figs 1 cup

Bread is both easy and complicated to make, but it's fun to make your own. Simply mix all the ingredients except nuts and figs. Try to forget all you may have learned about kneading , mix well with a spoon and let sit 10 minutes, then add in figs and hazelnuts, mix some more.

Let the bread rise at least two hours, stirring it after an hour. Try to pull on it to see if it stretches and fold it back into itself, ( that's good!)

After at least two hours, divide in half and proof in 2 baskets lined with a cloth napkin, dusted with flour. The final rise should be about 1- 1 1/2 hours in a warm place. May take longer if your house is cool.

Bake it at 425 F for about 40 minutes. Add steam if you know how to, but baking in a dutch oven for the first 20 minutes with lid, then remove lid and bake another 20 minutes until nice and dark.

Tasty eating!

Let me know what you think---

All the best,
                                Bry
                                Zn 8b "I may not be a smart man...but I know what love is." W.L.= My cup is full to overflowing, maybe next year!!

Comment

• Bry
                                  Bry commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  You're welcome! I have been baking bread for a long time but haven't really tried the no-knead breads per se. I usually bake using sourdough starter with minimal hand mixing and don't actually like the bread to have super huge holes in it, everything falls through!

• eboone
                                  eboone commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Think this could work in a bread maker?

• Bry
                                  Bry commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I don't see why not! You may have to add the nuts and figs after the machine does it's thing for a bit though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	11 fb.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	674756Click image for larger version

Name:	8 fb.jpg
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	674757Click image for larger version

Name:	9 fb.jpg
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	674758Click image for larger version

Name:	7 fb.jpg
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	674759Click image for larger version

Name:	5 fb.jpg
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	674760Click image for larger version

Name:	3 fb.jpg
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	674761Click image for larger version

Name:	4 fb.jpg
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	674762Click image for larger version

Name:	6 fb.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	2.81 MB
ID:	674763Click image for larger version

Name:	2 fb.jpg
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	674764Click image for larger version

Name:	10 fb.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	674765Click image for larger version

Name:	1 fb.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	674766
                                Zn 8b "I may not be a smart man...but I know what love is." W.L.= My cup is full to overflowing, maybe next year!!

Comment

Working...
                                X