X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First fig growing attempt

Hi, all! I first wanted to give huge thank yous to everyone that contributed their knowledge and experience with figs. It has been a tremendous help that has, I think, allowed me to be successful thus far.

As of now, I have 24 fig cuttings in my tortoise enclosure (Hardy Chicago, RdB, Hunt, Strawberry Verte, Negronne, El Molino, and Saratoga/Chico Strawberry). Temps and humidity have been holding steady at 78-81F and over 80%.

These cuttings were received, cleaned with soap and dunked in a bleach solution, placed in a bag with long-fiber sphagnum moss (well wrung out) until I saw the hint of initials, then were placed in one gallon containers or 2L SIPs. The medium was approximately 50% perlite and 50% Nature's Care potting mix for the one gallons and approximately 60% coco coir and 40% perlite for the 2L SIPs. No water was added; whatever moisture was in the potting mix and perlite was all that was needed and the coco coir was re-hydrated, thoroughly washed out in case of excess salts, and water was squeezed out as much as possible. It took about 2 months before I decided to water the one gallons.

After the advice of AscPete, I decided to go ahead and start cutting/rubbing the cuttings for 1 growing tip today.
    Hunt:
    RdB (Before):
    RdB (After):

I'm also using Low Stress Training to get them sticking straight up. The tape is temporary until I can drill some small holes at the top of each pot. And sorry about the gross sticky pads. I always get periodic gnat blooms in the tortoise enclosure, but they don't seem to pose a problem with the figs.

Once I saw a few leaves stick around, I fertilized 1-T of Plant-Tone mixed into the top layer of each container. And I'll probably water with a weak solution of Miracle Grow general next time they need it.

I hope I'm doing things somewhat correctly. The whole process has been pretty fun and I've met some great people along the way. Advice and more friends are always welcome!
    Alma from Maryland 7b

It looks as if you are having marvelous success!

It is fun, isn't it?
    Last edited by Gina; 03-20-2015, 11:13 AM.
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

• nepenthes
      nepenthes commented
      Editing a comment
      It's been an excellent experience for sure

• noss
      noss commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Gina, I didn't see anywhere to comment for a comment for nepenthes, so I am borrowing yours. I hope that's all right with you.

nepenthes, Just what are those sticky pads and have you cut them up so they'll be in more places, or is that the size they come in? Looks like they work well and I need some of those, so if you could let me know where you got them and what the name of them is, I'd sure appreciate it.

Those are some pretty babies.

Thanks, noss

Great work, Alma!
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Looking good ,Alma
      New Bern NC Zone 8a ,Wish list : Col de Dame Rimada ,Galica Negra

Comment

Looks great (well, except for the gnats)!
        I like the idea of starting the upright training of the young shoots at this early stage, I may try that.
        Ed
        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Congratulations! You're doing a great job.
          Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Looks great Alma! Could you share what you use for media in the 1 gallon containers and the mini-SIPS?
            Steve
            D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
            WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

Alma,
            Thanks for sharing the pictures, info and progress of your cuttings.
            Please keep us updated...
            Good Luck.
            Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Alright. I have a quick question on my 2-L SIPs. I started some Saratoga/Chico Strawberry cuttings (extremely healthy looking) on 2/28. One is in a 1 gallon and two are in SIPs. It's pretty awesome to see root development for the first time, but now I'm wondering when to start adding water into the reservoir. I'm thinking I should add water when condensation is practically non-existant and/or the medium is pretty dry.

Btw, learning about SIPs might be my undoing. I now collect 2-L bottles and put all my cuttings (non-figs) in them. Seriously addicting.
              Alma from Maryland 7b

Comment

• noss
                noss commented
                Editing a comment
                Alma, What are SIPs?

noss

Great job!
              But Alma, I am shocked, shocked I say that Alma (fig) is not on your list
              Frank Tallahasee 8B
              North Florida Figs

Comment

• nepenthes
                nepenthes commented
                Editing a comment
                I know, Frank. But the idea of my tortoises or family members eating me just doesn't seem right. Plus, I think I've read somewhere that they don't do too well in my climate. I always have next year, though, right?

Nice job with those cuttings! You've got your trees off to a great start.
              Johnny
              Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

Very nice! Be weary of those gnats, fungus gnats eat roots!
                Phil
                Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

• nepenthes
                  nepenthes commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have a 6x9' heavily planted tortoise enclosure that gets waves of gnats. It's always expected and I deal with it. All my plants, from mature begonias to newly rooted figs, seem to do just fine. Perhaps they might grow slower than fig cuttings without gnats but I don't have a means to make that comparison. Either way, these cuttings will soon be outside where they can face scarier things. Thanks!

Update: I spent last week hardening off the figs from high humidity (from 80-99% to ~35%). It took a total of 4 days and went smoothly. I decided that they're ready for the outdoors and left them in full shade today. I'm guessing that they will be fine being out 24/7? Night temps are supposed to be 40F+ from here on out, so I hope they'll be fine. This has been a pretty fun gardening experience

Alma from Maryland 7b

Comment

Be careful. Even at those temps you can still get frost and that will kill your green and tender growth.
                  PPP
                  Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Alma, I was thinking of doing the same but they are predicting rain for the next 5 days or so. I even moved my large container trees back into the garage tonight because they haven't broke bud yet (though are on the verge) and I don't want all the fertilizer and lime washed out of the potting mix. I don't have a good place to put figs outdoors such that they can stay out of the rain.
                    Steve
                    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                    WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

• nepenthes
                      nepenthes commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hey Steve! Luckily I only have those figs (pictured) and all fit under the side porch. If it gets scary, I'll bring them in. I probably jumped the gun by bringing them out, but it was just too beautiful out and I needed an excuse to play outside.

Congratulations ! They look really good!
                    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

• nepenthes
                      nepenthes commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks, Igor! All of your cuttings except one slow El Molino have rooted. The Strawberry Vertes took a little while to show but now it looks as if they've exploded. I can't wait to see how large they get after one season

They look great! Congratulations!
                    Phil
                    Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

My figs have a few more days of partial shade before I'll try full sun.

My only concern at this point is that one of them is wilting pretty well in the mornings when I open up the greenhouse. I'm guessing because it has the most (and large) leaves that it's transpiring too much? The other figs have little to no wilting so I'm a little lost. I just gave them all a light misting for the first time but so far it hasn't perked up. Is it telling me that it's rootbound? Or maybe should I halve some of the leaves? It *did* rebound yesterday with me doing nothing at all, but I just want to make sure that this doesn't become an issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
                      Alma from Maryland 7b

Comment

Looking good, great job.
                        I'm sorry but I don't have much good advice for you. I have had a rather poor year this year, it seems I am having a new challenge around every corner. Either that or I only remember my success from previous years. Either way, you are on the right path. The wilter, I would say keep doing what your doing and don't put that one out in the sun. It is either going to grow better roots and come around, or it is rotted and slowly losing. Either way you will know soon enough. And remember, it only takes one cutting of each variety to survive and you can call it a success.
                        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• nepenthes
                          nepenthes commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks Calvin. The wilting has lessened so I'll follow your advice and keep at it. Seems like with gardening, when a plant starts looking "off", the first instinct is to do a whole bunch of stuff (add nutes, add water, change out the medium, etc) that end up making things worse. The roots look good so hopefully I don't lose this one.

Alma,
                        Thanks for sharing the updated photos and info.

You may want to "shade" the roots and potting mix from sunlight which may overheat them. I sometimes remove (pinch) the larger older leaves on rooted cuttings that are struggling. It allows the roots to catch up to leaf growth.
                        What are you using as fertilizer? and What is your fertilizer schedule? Thanks.
                        Good Luck.
                        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• nepenthes
                          nepenthes commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I follow your recommendations of monthly Espoma @ 1 T/gallon water and just increased the weekly MG to 1 t/gallon water (notice I used the lowercase "t" this time :P) with 1/4 t Epsom salt/gallon water for the 1 gallons.

I'll try shading the SIPs with some foil. I randomly measured the temps of the pots this morning (~51F) and early afternoon (~78F). If covering doesn't seem to perk that one up, I'll pinch or halve the lower leaves. Thanks Pete!
                      Working...
                      X